The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Analog Mastering Chain Workflows in a Rushing Digital World (of Revisions)
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by kosmokrator View Post
copying all settings from one clip to another: Preview -> Capture All -> Punch to selected track

Toggle between alternative settings (including volume, pan, all plugins, send levels etc.): Dial in new settings in preview mode, suspend preview.
Like the new settings?->write to selection. Abandon the new settings?->exit preview.

Really not aimed at you or anyone else on this forum, but my experience is that most people outside of post production don't know all the advanced automation features of PT. Of course you need PT Ultimate for these (I think. I don't keep up with what new features updates bring to vanilla PT.)

Also, I'm sure Reaper is a great app, and if it serves you well all power to you!
on the other hand there are quite a few of us who know and used the advanced automation features of pro tools and still decided to move to reaper in order to save at least 2 hours every working day...
Do you know how flexible reaper can be?

as far as the original question goes

I will setup the chain according to my notes and work from there...it is more or less 2 or 3 minutes longer than just loading an already processed track and using a plug in eq to do the revisions.
Mind you, I never use complicated analog chains. My normal mastering session is 2-3 bands on an analog eq and limiting with a plug in.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostolos Siopis View Post
on the other hand there are quite a few of us who know and used the advanced automation features of pro tools and still decided to move to reaper in order to save at least 2 hours every working day...
Do you know how flexible reaper can be?
No need to get defensive.
As I already said, if Reaper works for you, all power to you. I just gave people who don't know these features in PT tips how to achieve the desired outcome.

I have no horse in that race since in my world these days Reaper simply is not an option. But if it helped you save >2h a day that's great.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

The DAW of your choice is just another tool, not more, not less...

I know ME's that master with PT, others with Cubase. Both not mastering tools per se, but if it works for them, nothing wrong with that.
I've worked with Reaper for 3 months, then went back to Sequoia. It just works better for me, that's all that counts.

I work hybrid, 90% analogue though... but revision is done digital if possible.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
copying all settings from one clip to another: Preview -> Capture All -> Punch to selected track

Toggle between alternative settings (including volume, pan, all plugins, send levels etc.): Dial in new settings in preview mode, suspend preview.
Like the new settings?->write to selection. Abandon the new settings?->exit preview.

Really not aimed at you or anyone else on this forum, but my experience is that most people outside of post production don't know all the advanced automation features of PT. Of course you need PT Ultimate for these (I think. I don't keep up with what new features updates bring to vanilla PT.)

Also, I'm sure Reaper is a great app, and if it serves you well all power to you!
Thanks kosmokrator for your feedback and suggestions !
(I'm not feeling offended by any means)
And I do know about the power of PT's automation features - and also that there are only a few people using them to a greater extent. My best friend is a well-respected film dubbing mixer and so I had some insight through him occasionally....it just (at least as somebody who doesn't use them on a daily basis) feels a little bulky.....and not being a Reaper user yet i just liked that very fast and intuitive way reaper handles that clip-based processing.....

But thanks again - I'll definitely look into this a little more again.....also because I'm not too keen on learning a new DAW whithout necessity.....

Also there's a big time bug Avid hasn't taken care of for years now which is pretty insane / a workflow killer in a mastering context:

ProTools creates a latency time shift of re-recorded audio (through an analog chain back into PT) once you route it through an Aux first before recording the track....

See here: Latency printing mixes back into PT via auxes

Like this you have to re-align the recorded track everytime.....

Boy, I'm a Pro Tools user for 23 years now and there's still so much I love about this thing - and that IMO no other DAW has nailed that good.....but there are still so many bugs and performance issues with big projects....
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles Flint View Post
The DAW of your choice is just another tool, not more, not less...

I know ME's that master with PT, others with Cubase. Both not mastering tools per se, but if it works for them, nothing wrong with that.
I've worked with Reaper for 3 months, then went back to Sequoia. It just works better for me, that's all that counts.

I work hybrid, 90% analogue though... but revision is done digital if possible.
That's interesting...! So what made you flip back to Sequoia....? I mean what was bothering you in Reaper, or which features did you miss or was it more a general workflow thing ?

I'm also shying back a little from getting into Reaper because its slight appearance of being a little "kid's garage toolkit".....but that's just a personal impression and has nothing to do with knowledge about what's behind Cockos...
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head

BTW....there's still nothing pulling me to becoming a Windows user....

Though I defintely see the power of Sequoia !.....Which comes with a pretty abnormal price tag though I think....
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
No need to get defensive.
As I already said, if Reaper works for you, all power to you. I just gave people who don't know these features in PT tips how to achieve the desired outcome.

I have no horse in that race since in my world these days Reaper simply is not an option. But if it helped you save >2h a day that's great.
Aw. No you got me wrong. I was trying to be helpful...I wouldn't defend a method or a daw over another. Even if it isn't really helpful in your particular case I am hoping that another user may appreciate it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search