The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
my interests in this forum are dwindling and i don't seem to be the only one
Old 19th August 2019
Lives for gear

I lost about 30% interest about 10 years ago when it seemed like a few well known guys vanished for varying reasons.

I think I had been spoiled by Blackwoods forum and insight from from the WUMPs and the reasoning behind the decisions.

I guess I lost another 30% with the "whats your mastering chain," K-man's loudness problem, Luceys arrogance, and the pursuit of instant gratification by a newer generation.

I do miss DC's jokes, but alas...he seems to have vanished too...
Old 19th August 2019
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertone View Post
BTW, you guys who post in this forum frequently give a lot of great advice.

No one (including myself) is ever to old to learn.

Thank you.
I always enjoy your posts Larry, along with many other people here.

In fact, I could faithfully buy gear based on some of the more knowledgeable people’s opinions around here. Who could forget the epic EQ and compressor threads. Still a reference for me.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by drezz View Post
I've always enjoyed your posts Larry, and appreciate the knowledge and information you bring forward. You're just the kind of person who really should stick around here and keep posting. Your insights and comments are very much appreciated by many I'll wager............as for that vintage 3 track recording set-up you've been working on and that console: Well, that's one of the grooviest and most awesome things I've ever drooled over on this board. An absolutely fantastic thing of beauty. A unique vision. Personally, if I was in the states I'd be knocking on your door and bringing artists there on a regular basis once you were operational. Keep on keeping on man, it's a wonderful thing you're setting up there, and I'd love to see it come to full fruition.
Thank you drezz, 15 years I’ve been working toward that 3 track studio. Maybe I’ll see it through... I’m so close. That said, I’d rather place it in an area it could do well like NYC, Nashville, Austin or L.A. I just don’t think people will travel to upstate NY to use it. Which would be sad.

It will break my heart to sell that equipment (and my house and studio)... but I’ll do whatever it takes to take care of my wife for the next 20 years or so. Life goes by way to fast.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben F View Post
I always enjoy your posts Larry, along with many other people here.

In fact, I could faithfully buy gear based on some of the more knowledgeable people’s opinions around here. Who could forget the epic EQ and compressor threads. Still a reference for me.
Thank you Ben, I’ve always enjoyed your posts as well.

I have great respect for you guys who keep posting.

Time has become such a precious commodity to me that I just can’t justify spending all my time online anymore. I do post gear pictures on Instagram every now and then and I post at Terry Manning’s forum occasionally but that’s about it. Not many pro’s left over there either.

Carry on gentlemen... and thank you again.

Last edited by Silvertone; 4 weeks ago at 01:54 PM..
Old 4 weeks ago
I agree. Though my reasons are for different reasons than the others listed here. I’ve noticed that the newsletters that get sent out are usually from posts of several years ago.
Old 4 weeks ago
Im more interested in the way engineering and mastering used to be, in the analog/vinyl days. But i think that's mostly because i didn't live it. I like the idea of having to build what you need over being able to just download the solution. I still use digital for ease of use.

I think there certainly is a number of younger people interested in that as well, but price, room and weight pushes a lot of people out of the running.

It's certainly not dead. Lathe trolls still exists and continues on that aspect. Reel to reel is back, cassettes are back. I just don't see a lot of that coming back to the forums.

It's behringer hate and X vs. Y. In the mastering area it's kind of the same scenario but with mastering concepts.

That's just my personal bias however.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Verified Member
This has been a very interesting discussion and like most discussions here on GS I learned a lot. Thanks!
Old 4 weeks ago
Mastering Moderator

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by sameal View Post
Im more interested in the way engineering and mastering used to be, in the analog/vinyl days. But i think that's mostly because i didn't live it. I like the idea of having to build what you need over being able to just download the solution. I still use digital for ease of use.

I think there certainly is a number of younger people interested in that as well, but price, room and weight pushes a lot of people out of the running.

It's certainly not dead. Lathe trolls still exists and continues on that aspect. Reel to reel is back, cassettes are back. I just don't see a lot of that coming back to the forums.

It's behringer hate and X vs. Y. In the mastering area it's kind of the same scenario but with mastering concepts.

That's just my personal bias however.
There are engineers here cutting loads of vinyl (Mischa, JP.... just to name a few) or that used to and still have the knowledge. Or those of us that still go mad to maintain those ATR 100's and Studers not to mention convection ovens to bake and transfer tapes with all sorts of challenges
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riccardo View Post
There are engineers here cutting loads of vinyl (Mischa, JP.... just to name a few) or that used to and still have the knowledge. Or those of us that still go mad to maintain those ATR 100's and Studers not to mention convection ovens to bake and transfer tapes with all sorts of challenges

I know theirs still engineers involved in it. I just don't see a lot of that material now.

Example being the mastering chain involved in vinyl production. I know that is kind of a fluid thing, but im having a difficult time planning a basic chain for my system. And info on that is kinda scarce, certainly not a lot of new information.

I could be wrong. Im just a hobbyist and seem to look more to the past then the future.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riccardo View Post
The wife just got a nice new four element Bosch convection oven that has settings for 125, 150 and 175 degrees.

She'll probably be annoyed to find a reel of tape in it though
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by sameal View Post
I know theirs still engineers involved in it. I just don't see a lot of that material now.

Example being the mastering chain involved in vinyl production. I know that is kind of a fluid thing, but im having a difficult time planning a basic chain for my system. And info on that is kinda scarce, certainly not a lot of new information.

I could be wrong. Im just a hobbyist and seem to look more to the past then the future.
There is also Paul Gold / Salt Mastering.
Old 4 weeks ago
The signal to noise ratio seems to be getting worse over time in this forum. I follow threads on many different topics and reading through them the bickering and insulting posts (noise) far exceeds the constructive and informative (signal). Seems to have declined quite a bit in the last couple of years.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
People's free time to participate on forums varies over time.

Relationships
Family
Children
Becoming busy with clients and no longer having free time.

Spending several years perched on a forum sucking up all the knowledge you can find, making friends online world wide then using the knowledge and friendships made via Gearslutz (and other communities) to reenforce / strengthen your skill set - growing your client base via forum participation. This is a pattern I have seen with several, now well known, award winning mastering engineers.

Things change, the 'usual' can become "boring". Someone on a similar career / skill set growth path can be 'uninteresting'. Some of the people that have gotten a huge amount back from the forum can then turn around sh!t-can it, carping that it's 'not as good as it used to be'. Whatever... There will alway be a new generation that are less jaded, more appreciative and actively use the knowledge base.

There isn't a limit to the number of times someone can ask the same question but there seems a limit to the number of times some people can see a question they once asked before they declare the platform where they themselves learned the answer - boring, and "not the same as it used to be".

Forum participants gather knowledge - some feel they have enough and then stop. Then new people arrive to participate.

The music biz can be a hard bitten industry, it's not known for its kind, backward looks. Everyone presses forwards. We wish the best of luck to forum members that have graduated onwards and no longer use the forum we know the Gearslutz knowledge base and sharing community spirit has assisted many successful careers. We plan to stick around to be a resource to help new generations.

You're welcome!

Forum Founder
I HAD to chime in. I for one have VERY MUCH appreciated this forum. Thank you Jules for providing it. There are SO MANY truly knowledgeable people here and I have been bailed out more than once when a project was handed to me with specs I was unfamiliar with, I posted a comment here, and one of the veterans was kind enough to give me the benefit of their experience and get me through it successfully. There are so many truly brilliant engineers here and I always am extremely grateful when they help me out with a problem. Sure, there will always be bitter, nasty people posting but I suppose people often follow what the media/social media presents them. I agree with Plush, sift through the BS and nastiness and you will find a wealth of knowledge. Ignore the rest and don't respond. It's a forum for sharing information after all and THAT should be the primary focus. I help others myself when I can (and I'm sure of my answer!) and I'm not even half as knowledgeable as perhaps most here. And I've seen noobs as well as veterans be nasty to others. It's a great forum and I truly appreciate it when I need it and it's there.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignatius View Post
Oh, I see, at first I thought it was intended to be ME related only. Thanks for the explanation.
I still find it odd that "verified member" only displays on posts in the Mastering Forum. If it's not exclusive to mastering then why not display it in the other forums?

IDK, maybe because it would create too much work for the mods? Maybe that's what Riccardo was trying to splain me...
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by huberkinky View Post
No one has noticed that an old way of mixing is dying.
I’m 65 y.o. and I have learned, but without any help from 1993 until now and

I have noticed very keenly -- it is changing ... just not for us .

I am 67 -- learning along > since the 60's -- but stopped about 1999, in the new scenario of tech ..

We we only use the computer [ just in the last year or so ] > for our 2 track final mixdown..

Still have the doors open at the studio --- since 88
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Hi matey's

I agree with 90% of the sentiments voiced above.

But life is in the process of renewal and the new leaves turn old, fall away and become topsoil or manure giving birth to the new once again. In many ways, knowledge and the movement of technology and humanistic thinking also create vast cavernous valleys of flow and effect. We need to just be open, flow, be inclusive, patient and giving. The more you give, the more you shall receive. If we think or feel that exclusivity and hierarchy are the only ways to command coherency then we suppress the current and swimming upriver can always be tiresome.

My hope is to see a revival of good, enchanting conversations of knowledge, friendship and giving.

I encourage you to continue doing so with exuberance for life!

Amen
Kayo

Last edited by Kayo; 4 weeks ago at 11:20 PM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertone View Post
Brian Lucey did me in one night when he called to ream me out for saying anyone can be a mastering engineer.
He probably just flipped out because you hit close to home. He pretty much became a mastering engineer because he wanted to be a musician but wasn't good enough to make a living out of it so he ended up doing mastering instead.

For me, it's a combination of stuff. People seem really argumentative here as of late. They lack serious self control and feel the need to shoehorn politics into half their posts. Things I avoid social media for.

On the other hand there's been plenty of dodgy behavior from certain mods and this forum in general that make me feel like, "what's the point?" so I just dialed back my participation. I mostly come now to see what's new, but really, nothing's new. Most plugs are just rehashes of old hardware. Most new hardware are rehashes of old hardware.

I'm busy with my music career in real life so when I get some downtime, I pop in and the list of threads is pretty much the same damn questions being asked for the past 5 years. The noobs change, but the questions don't. For the little free time I get, there's better ways to spend the time.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I used to love coming to this forum but at a certain point things started to feel
toxic. I think most things have already been said about the general state of internet forums these days but I will say I have met some really great folks
here!

Hi to my Mastering Peeps!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

I just realised I have a 10 year badge! I made a conscious decision a few years back to stop recording other people and to have a break from anything to do with engineering and go back to live performance. I was just sick of being inside on nice days and listening to music I didn't really like or care about.
Came back recently as I decided to make an album of all the songs I've written in the last few years and needed to start from scratch as I sold all my gear (and bought new guitars and amps and pedals and all that cool stuff instead of the other cool stuff I had)

honestly I've found its the same on all forums I hang out in whether its football, guitar playing or audio. The internet isn't so much a brave new world anymore where you could find yourself talking to someone on the other side of the world whose records you heard all over the radio. Its become a battleground and the etiquette has changed or mostly disappeared. The world is an angry place. But like others have said there is always pockets of gold and I determined long ago to try and be a beacon of civility and reason.

I learned so much from this place many years ago, I still have a collection of posts I saved from people who were incredibly generous with knowledge it had taken them years to accumulate. Not sure where I'm going with this except to check in and say thanks to those who do take the time to share.

I come and go from lots of forums, as others have said, a time to every purpose.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

If I am to believe many of the posts above the tone of the conversation in general must have gone down to an almost unbearable level. Strangely I don't feel like that. Of course there are the regular trolls, but for them there is this wonderful option to put them on an ignore list. I have to admit that recently I had to put more posters on this list than in the years before, but besides that the quality of the conversation hasn't really changed. What has changed is our own experience and anyone who has been hanging out here long enough can see the patterns that repeat themselves after a while. To me the Mastering forum has been invaluable for discovering high end products that I had never heard about otherwise, and there is still a lot to learn from long time ongoing threads such as the Mastering EQ thread and the Mastering compressor thread. But what does one do when you have the best of everything?

Grumpiness amongst ME's is pretty normal I think. We are all supposed to be highly critical individuals, with a strong idea of how we want things to sound. You need a particular personality for that, so coming together in a forum should not be expected to be anything more civil than a gathering of Grizzly bears after their winter's sleep. It's only natural and it does not bother me in the least. What does bother me is the core of Teebaum's message (the OP), which is that he is losing interest in the forum as a whole. He has gone through a very long journey of selecting and updating his gear to a level where little improvement is to be expected. He is now challenged to turn his neverending gear hunger into something else. And at some point we all are. Actually, that is where things get really interesting, when what you do in life becomes more important than how to achieve it. Call it a mental crisis, call it the final coming of age, but it is something that we all have to go through. This can make us sad, or feel empty at times. It can even make us depressed. How to find a way out of the the big questions of life is something that I like to think about a lot, but it seems to be one of those things that nobody wants to talk about in depth. It seems to be a matter too close related to our very existence to really face it.

For me the reasons to be involved with music have very little to do with equipment or techniques, even though I love to indulge in technical problems. My choice to pursue a career in recording, mixing and mastering classical/acoustic music has everything to do with my philosophical view of life. Basically we think we know something about our very existence, while in fact we know nothing of it. Whether we are "religious" or more "scientifically" oriented, or whether we are more into "philosophy", vital big questions, such as "What is it that contains the Universe?" (or "What is it that contains God?", for that matter) don't even see the beginning of an answer. We have theories about "big bang" or "creation", but very quickly it all escapes our ability to really understand anything of it, or even make a coherent picture of what our simple questions actually mean. For all we know, everything that we think we sense is made out of "vibration", whatever it is that vibrates, or what causes it. Music is basically nothing but vibrating air. And somehow this vibrating air can sychronise our senses into experiencing things that we call emotions. There's a wonderful simplicity to that, even though it goes very deep into the sense of what we experience as "existing". And since I love to be in close proximity to the abyss of the "horror vaqui" I have chosen to work with musicians that vibrate the air and I have given myself the task to capture the wonderful futility of that vibration and package it for instant replay. In order to do so I have to make an attempt at understanding a little more about the matter I work with. The very matter that our Universe is made of. And on that path of research, Gearslutz is a place where one can reflect upon some of the details of the life-long quest. It can be great fun to share some of your own findings, or to read about the quest of others and how they go about it. I believe that "Reason" (at any possible level) is not given by anything. But we have the freedom and ability to create Reason, everyday of our lives. And even a rather trivial forum such as GS can have a place in granting a meaning to our ignorant being.

Last edited by Earcatcher; 4 weeks ago at 03:23 AM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjogo View Post
I have noticed very keenly -- it is changing ... just not for us .

I am 67 -- learning along > since the 60's -- but stopped about 1999, in the new scenario of tech ..

We we only use the computer [ just in the last year or so ] > for our 2 track final mixdown..

Still have the doors open at the studio --- since 88
Agree... There is no point for you to go for computers and for me there is no point to even look at the console. I had a computer business so I know that technology well.

However new muzos are sticking to PC's, laptop and even smartphones. And that's what is changing the forum and the whole game.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

What's different is not the forums, it's us. The forums stay roughly the same but we get burned out.

IIRC the tone of the conversation has always been at about the same level of incivility, give or take a little. I remember seeing many annoying and confrontational members all up and down the threads 15 years ago. Same as it ever was.

But it wears on us over time, creating the feeling that it's gotten worse, and eventually we quit, cut down or just take a break. It's natural and healthy. I've taken a few GS sabbaticals and always returned refreshed and ready for abuse!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by huberkinky View Post
Agree... There is no point for you to go for computers and for me there is no point to even look at the console. I had a computer business so I know that technology well.

However new muzos are sticking to PC's, laptop and even smartphones. And that's what is changing the forum and the whole game.

Some day I may miss the computerfor music projects ..

Have had PT for 6 years ...never turned on ...REAPER for a year now...great for render/mixdown.

Started with software recording in the late 80's ...really like the hardware in front me >> need those faders & knobs ///Muzos can tweak screens all day ...still able to keep clients happy >>> without milking a WAV to exhaustion

Engineered this studio for 4 years --- no computer necessary > not a WAV was viewed

Last edited by cjogo; 4 weeks ago at 07:58 AM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Maybe an ability to “thumbs down” bad info or troll like replies would actually be helpful. It might prevent some chest beaters, or at least make them think twice before posting ugly opinions or bad info if they know they might receive negative votes for all to see.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjogo View Post
Some day I may miss the computerfor music projects ..

Have had PT for 6 years ...never turned on ...REAPER for a year now...great for render/mixdown.

Started with software recording in the late 80's ...really like the hardware in front me >> need those faders & knobs ///Muzos can tweak screens all day ...still able to keep clients happy >>> without milking a WAV to exhaustion

Engineered this studio for 4 years --- no computer necessary > not a WAV was viewed

Really like that space!
Old 4 weeks ago
I've quit all forums on FB and stopped using FB alltogether over a year ago. Probably the best thing I have ever done in a while!

This is still the only place in cyberspace where I come from time to time to check things out.
I think it is still a great place but, like others have pointed out, bad traits of the social media world have crept in here as well. This was unavoidable.

Still I like to come here from time to time and contribute where I can and gathering new info/knowledge, albeit less frequently that in the past and just a fraction of the time I used to spend on here 15 years ago (mainly reading).

There are still people who's opinion I value highly but surely the numbers of trolls or wannabees could come down a tad

AB
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by elegentdrum View Post
Culture has changed. 6 years ago this forum was about gettin the best sound.
Now it's about getting close to the sound for cheap.

Mixing used to be a performance before everything could be automated. Now everybody wants the ability to recall and adjust every last detail 6 months after it was mixed.

It's great that more people can afford to record and mix audio. It's also a curse. People are not learning for others in person any more.

regaurding the post before this one. They best thing they could do is split up the forum into ITB and OTB.

I'm a great example of mid-level experties. I don't do Audio for a living any more, some things I know, some things I don't.
Low enough level I have the time to answer noob questions. But some things I give my best guess to try and help without really knowing.

My interest is also falling. Mainly because I have learned what I can from the Forum. Further time will not really gain me that much information. It's just a habbit to come here when it should no longer be. It does keep me up on the latest products.
What happened was Astroturfing.

I assume it was always around to varying degrees, but the last 6 years have seen an absolute blitzkrieg offensive from paid posters whose marching orders are "Change the narrative in our favor...Or burn the whole f$%king thing to the ground."

It's not just Gearslutz though, of the 3-4 online forums I used to be active on they ALL are falling to the sickness you are intuitively sensing the presence of.

Also, for this forum, in particular, this is one of the main "watercoolers" for an entirely new and, I would guess, lucrative market.

The "Pre-Order-Junkie" "TAKE-MY-MONEY", "The NEXT thing I buy will be the thing that makes my entire deal come together" Non-musician consumer of musical products. Market is an entirely new one. A new class of consumer.

These are the people who have EVERYTHING on pre-order, the people who may never use anything they buy for more than a few hours, these are the people for whom receiving a product that does not work, means wait for a firmware update...Not call a lawyer.

For these people, companies never even have to deliver the products they promise, in fat they are COUNTING on not delivering, they drop one half-finished clunker, and get people ordering THE NEXT thing, rather than demanding refunds and buycotting.

I was saddened by the behavior of so many during the Prologue scandal last year...I was reading about people buying the synth 4-5 TIMES...They take it home...it doesn't work...they go get ANOTHER one, doesn't work....on and on.

Or that woefully underspecified Pioneer sampler, nobody should have accepted that thing as a viable product. They should have told Pioneer "Good start, tell me when its FINISHED" But people ran out to buy it believing Pioneer's B.S...and what happens, they release a NEW product like the old one...then they SELL THE COMPANY! (That division anyway)

Just like those stories make no sense and leave you wondering "Why did you let them do that to you?" Reading forum posts from the same folk often makes less sense and get you asking "Why am I doing this to MYSELF?!"
Old 4 weeks ago
Gearslutz.com admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift Mastering View Post
I've quit all forums on FB and stopped using FB alltogether over a year ago. Probably the best thing I have ever done in a while!

AB
I quite FB too. Amen to that. Great decision IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrible.dee View Post
.....the last 6 years have seen an absolute blitzkrieg offensive from paid posters whose marching orders are "Change the narrative in our favor...Or burn the whole f$%king thing to the ground."
I honestly don't think anyone cares enough about pro audio enough to employ armies of "paid posters". (really)

If you EVER see evidence of this we will happily take action against it. Please use the report button.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gearslutz.com admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conundra View Post
Maybe an ability to “thumbs down” bad info or troll like replies would actually be helpful. It might prevent some chest beaters, or at least make them think twice before posting ugly opinions or bad info if they know they might receive negative votes for all to see.
We have the report button..
Old 4 weeks ago
Along with some points already mentioned, I've made a counscious choice to (try to) minimize time sitting behind a computer screen. For the sake of my posture, eyes, energy, you name it.
I now value moving around a bit, do some stretching or cleaning, chores, whatever over absorbing info and opinions.

It also helps that I've been quite busy and happy with my gear so became less slutty perhaps...

Having said that, I do check the forum every now and then as I still think it's a GREAT place to talk about mastering specific issues & new tools.
More than FB probably as I feel I can navigate and search more easy over here.

Thanks Jules, moderators and all members who contribute in a constructive way!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search