The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
my interests in this forum are dwindling and i don't seem to be the only one
Old 1 week ago
  #61
Lives for gear
 
norfolk martin's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
I lost my nuances when we moved in 2008. After a while it seemed obvious that they weren’t going to show up at the new house. I thought they’d be easy to replace, but they aren’t even on Amazon.
So it’s been broad strokes and bright colors only for more than ten years. I’ve learned to deal with it. But when you talk about nuances, it makes me a little sad.
Go on... I’ll be fine.
Don't worry man. I'm sure some nice family found them, and they're living happily on a farm somewhere.
Old 1 week ago
  #62
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by sl1200mk2 View Post
They were called BBS's and accessed via whopping 300bps modems, then eventually 1200 and 2400bps. I started 'online' around 10-11 years old on my Commodore 64 using local BBS's (aka boards). Ran my own board from around '87-89 (based on Color64 BBS), but only had a handful of users, because I only had a single dedicated phone line.
Kudos
Old 1 week ago
  #63
Gear Guru
 
Brent Hahn's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oskari J. View Post
So GS should invite more longtime members that regularly participate positively to join the moderator squad. We need a small army. (and of course, a zero tolerance for disrespectful behaviour and other bull****)
It's hard to be around here and speak candidly enough to be effective and still be moderator material.
Old 1 week ago
  #64
Lives for gear
 

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
It's hard to be around here and speak candidly enough to be effective and still be moderator material.
People change when you give them responsibility.
Old 1 week ago
  #65
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxnscratch View Post
People change when you give them responsibility.
That’s what some politicians hoped for with Hitler.

And I’m intending that reference to illustrate the problem with the premise, not to say anything about Brent.
Old 1 week ago
  #66
Lives for gear
You Godwin's law'd the thread after only 3 pages!
Old 1 week ago
  #67
Lives for gear
 

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
That’s what some politicians hoped for with Hitler.

And I’m intending that reference to illustrate the problem with the premise, not to say anything about Brent.
Not a really good example.
I'm talking about people not seeking the power not the opposite
Old 1 week ago
  #68
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxnscratch View Post
Not a really good example.
I'm talking about people not seeking the power not the opposite
It may be nit picking resulting from the one accursed logic class I took, but the premise as stated is false.
If you said “SOME people change...” or even “MOST people change when you give them responsibility”, I wouldn’t have posted. Mother Teresa MIGHT have changed if she was given more responsibility, who knows. Most people change in many ways over time, but to make responsibility a certain cause of human change is... well, not completely logical.
Old 1 week ago
  #69
Lives for gear
 
tengu's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01010110 View Post
What do you guys think of adding a “pro mastering” sub forum? Then maybe remove the “mastering for beginners” sub forum. I think that might solve a few of the issues mentioned in this thread.
This is a decent idea.
Old 1 week ago
  #70
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by scraggs View Post
You Godwin's law'd the thread after only 3 pages!
What can I say? I have skills.
Old 1 week ago
  #71
Lives for gear
 
Trakworx's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by teebaum View Post
my interests in this forum are dwindling day by day - and i don't seem to be the only one.

many of the engineers i was happy to contribute to seem to be less and less here or at least hardly writing any more.

it seems to be a general phenomenon that forums are losing importance, but i noticed it only in the last months.

is it just my point of view or does it seem similar to you?
Yes I've noticed a decrease in activity in this forum this year, and a simultaneous large increase in activity in the FB mastering forums. Members who used to post here are now over there. Recently I started my first thread over there and the response was really rapid compared to over here. So it looks to me that FB is taking from GS.

That's a shame though, because I often find FB threads to be less helpful than GS threads. There's too many nonsense comments and people are too brief, probably because they're using their smartphones. I get the impression that a smaller percent of the FB group members are professional MEs. The FB threads become too long too fast. If you don't happen to see one in the first hour then it's already too late to try to catch up with it. Then they go silent within 24 hours as a pile of new threads take over the short attention span audience. There isn't a headline list to browse through like we have here, so threads have very short lives. GS offers a searchable archive of information. FB is fleeting.

I'm going to keep participating over here and hope some of you guys stick around too...

Last edited by Trakworx; 1 week ago at 04:41 PM..
Old 1 week ago
  #72
Gear Head
 
bandpass's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
Things are not what they were 10 years ago. 10 years ago we still had famous, respected and approachable mastering engineers posting on this forum.
Ah, those were the days... Come back Edward V.
Old 1 week ago
  #73
Motown legend
 
Bob Olhsson's Avatar
 

Verified Member
Most of us came here simply because it was by far the fastest audio forum to navigate. Then they changed out something and it no longer was. Facebook was way faster than GS until recently. At this point it's slower so it'll be interesting to see what happens.
Old 1 week ago
  #74
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trakworx View Post
I often find FB threads to be less helpful than GS threads. There's too many nonsense comments and people are too brief, probably because they're using their smartphones. I get the impression that a smaller percent of the FB group members are professional MEs. The FB threads become too long too fast. If you don't happen to see one in the first hour then it's already too late to try to catch up with it.
Yep. FB is good for cat pictures but it 99.672% sucks for any kind of substantive discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandpass
Ah, those were the days... Come back Edward V.
Yeah the Edward V era was....not a good era. I remember the time he said he routinely took a whole day to master one song....

The K man era was another dark time....
Old 1 week ago
  #75
Lives for gear
 
Hippocratic Mastering's Avatar
Jesus, the K Man.

Who was that guy who insisted on referring to MEs as “Mastering Clerks”?
Old 1 week ago
  #76
Lives for gear
I can't remember his name but wasn't that the same guy who was always spelling words wrong on purpose? Substituting k's for t's or something? Infuriating!
Old 1 week ago
  #77
Lives for gear
 
bgood's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by drezz View Post
Most people on here are amateurs who don't know what they are talking about and are too justified in their false sense of entitlement to know when to quit. Noob chest puffing is off the radar, when, really, people at the start of their journeys should really listen to those who know more than they, but that doesn't seem to be the nature of mostly anonymous people on the internet.

I leaned so much from this forum from those who really knew the shizz when i was getting into starting my recording career. Unfortunately a lot of those pros have disappeared over the years, or been scared off by the hordes of opinionated knee jerk reactionists.

On a more positive note, there still are great threads with amazingly knowledgeable folks, and there is still some cameraderie and fantastic info and debate on certain threads and topics, you just have to sniff it out or gravitate to the right threads.

Gearslutz still has magic tucked away in the right places.
There’s a quote from old English time about poachers scaring away the big game from the king’s Hunters

I think about this quote whenever I see a YouTube vid of some 20 something year old with no outboard telling me about the difference between a Manley and a shadow hills compressor or anything really...

The amateurs have made GS icky
Old 1 week ago
  #78
Lives for gear
 
bgood's Avatar
Let me ask y’all this...

Do you have a favorite alternative to GS? I’ve not found one.

When I have a question and put it out there I almost always will end up getting a few great answers from solid folks... I typically only get frustrated with the Hunger Games aspect of GS when I pop in on an existing thread where opinions are being sharted about
Old 1 week ago
  #79
Lives for gear
You have invoked their names, now you have to hope they don’t show up. Beetlejuice wasn’t a mastering guy, but the precedent is there.
Old 1 week ago
  #80
Lives for gear
 
FabienTDR's Avatar
 

Verified Member
The recent shift certainly relates to Facebook aggressively rolling out the new FB groups.

They aren't a replacement for old shool forums, they are rather short lived and make it difficult to argue beyond 100 words. But it's much easier to use, much closer to a real time debate. A bit more stressful, in a positive sense, not unlike a crowded pub (lol, edited ).

I don't think that GS did anything wrong. But the world around it evolves.
Old 1 week ago
  #81
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by FabienTDR View Post
not unlike a crowded pud.
It sounds English...
today is rich with funny typos.
Old 1 week ago
  #82
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippocratic Mastering View Post
Who was that guy who insisted on referring to MEs as “Mastering Clerks”?
This was really driving me crazy. Thank you search function! It was Laarso.
Old 1 week ago
  #83
Lives for gear
 
drezz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
There’s a quote from old English time about poachers scaring away the big game from the king’s Hunters

I think about this quote whenever I see a YouTube vid of some 20 something year old with no outboard telling me about the difference between a Manley and a shadow hills compressor or anything really...

The amateurs have made GS icky
Yeah right. Pretty classic..................don't they mean the [k]'d versions of the manley and shadow hills (insert plugin company) plugs...............nicked from pirate bay?

I told this story a few times here on the forum, but i remember when i was first getting into tape, and i was asking some dumb questions on the forum, and usually i was pretty reverential to the older guys back then, but one time i puffed up my noob chest to say something ridiculous (i cringe now...........) when Fletcher entered the thread to chastise me with something along the lines of: 'Hey kid, i was using tape machines while you were still ****ting yellow'

I loved that. totally put me in my place. Best acid drop put down i ever experienced.

Gotta lot of respect for that guy. He and others very missed on this board.........

But, yeah, GS is a different beastie from back then, i think going back 10-15 years now.................

i also remember as a relative noobie asking some questions, and Jules PM'd me and asked for my number. Y'know what?, he took the trouble to call me up on the phone to offer me some genuine, great advice. I'll never forget that. Such a dude! I'll always appreciate that, and it gives me hope for this board he started all those years ago.

Long live Gearslutz..............

Last edited by drezz; 1 week ago at 10:03 PM..
Old 1 week ago
  #84
For me, and not just any specific part of gearslutz, the entire site has gotten kind of .........boring.

The topics seem to be all rehash.

I still find some stuff here and there. But even searching topics on the internet, most gs hits are from years ago. I do have a bias however, as im not really following newer vst's and synths and such. The site seems chock with that stuff.
Old 1 week ago
  #85
Lives for gear
 
norfolk martin's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameal View Post
For me, and not just any specific part of gearslutz, the entire site has gotten kind of .........boring.

The topics seem to be all rehash.

I still find some stuff here and there. But even searching topics on the internet, most gs hits are from years ago. I do have a bias however, as im not really following newer vst's and synths and such. The site seems chock with that stuff.
I think that's inevitable if you spend a significant amount of time on any forum.

I used to hang out a lot on a couple of guitar forums. At first, every topic is new and interesting, but after a couple of years you find that 90% of the new postings are a re-run of something that's already been discussed extensively. Truth is, there simply aren't enough new issues in most fields to sustain the amount of board space that's available.

For example, why would someone go to, say, a Gibson guitar board and post a question like " Is the 59 Les Paul really superior to modern production?" The subject has been done to death, the horse flogged into non-existence; a million posts have already been made discussing this. The op would simply be better off reading the prior posts. I suppose the Gearslutz equivalent is "why does [ analog/digital] sound [better/worse]" in its myriad forms.

The fact that no-one seems to want to go back and read the old threads indicates to me that people are looking for interaction and involvement more than answers. The board becomes more like going down the pub every Tuesday and making small talk with your friends.
Old 1 week ago
  #86
Gear Addict
 

Also some ME’s are more busy now taking beautiful pictures of their beautiful studios on Instagram...
Old 6 days ago
  #87
Lives for gear
 
SmoothTone's Avatar
 

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by scraggs View Post
This was really driving me crazy. Thank you search function! It was Laarso.
You beat me to it. I kinda miss those guys and their relentless campaigns...










...but not really.
Old 6 days ago
  #88
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothTone View Post
I kinda miss those guys and their relentless campaigns....
I think it’s harder to get meth these days. No fuel, no fire...
Old 6 days ago
  #89
Quote:
Originally Posted by norfolk martin View Post
I think that's inevitable if you spend a significant amount of time on any forum.

I used to hang out a lot on a couple of guitar forums. At first, every topic is new and interesting, but after a couple of years you find that 90% of the new postings are a re-run of something that's already been discussed extensively. Truth is, there simply aren't enough new issues in most fields to sustain the amount of board space that's available.

For example, why would someone go to, say, a Gibson guitar board and post a question like " Is the 59 Les Paul really superior to modern production?" The subject has been done to death, the horse flogged into non-existence; a million posts have already been made discussing this. The op would simply be better off reading the prior posts. I suppose the Gearslutz equivalent is "why does [ analog/digital] sound [better/worse]" in its myriad forms.

The fact that no-one seems to want to go back and read the old threads indicates to me that people are looking for interaction and involvement more than answers. The board becomes more like going down the pub every Tuesday and making small talk with your friends.
It's true.

I think the vitality that gearslutz has to offer is interesting build threads / repair refurb stuff as those are usually different. But there hasn't been much of that going on either.
Old 6 days ago
  #90
Lives for gear
 
SmoothTone's Avatar
 

Verified Member
So what type of discussions would you guys like to see here? If there was a 'pro' subforum, how would we use it?

I like discussions about technique and to hear about how other people approach things in mastering.

I've also been toying with the idea of getting some WUMPs up and running here at GS. Is that something people would be interested in?

If we're clear about what we want, maybe we CAN kick a bit of life back into this subforum?
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump