The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
MacBook Pro DAW recommendations?
Old 14th July 2019
Lives for gear

Verified Member
MacBook Pro DAW recommendations?

Hey Guys, I’m looking for MacBook Pro recommendations for DAW Mastering.

15” 2014 or newer with the i7 processor.

To run ProTools 12, UAD plugins, etc...

is 2014 too old? Staying Sierra OS if possible.

or are all of the MBPro i7 versions about the same, except for speed?

and USB connect with my Antelope Pure2.

My old Mac Pro Intel towers still work great in the pitch and catch scenario,

but i’m looking to add an update to this decade! :~o)>

Thanks, Jerry T
Old 14th July 2019
Gear Head

Hi Jerry,
I've been using a 2011 MBP 17" 2,2GHz i7 for the past 8 years, Logic Pro X and OSX 10.10.5.
Mostly using DMG plugins like Equilibrium, Multiplicity, Limitless, and Waves PAZ analyser.
All good until the laptop cooling fans would kick in, then imagine a continuous 6-8 kHz laser whine straight into your ears/skull.
A few months ago I got a used MacPro 6-core trashcan, paid about 1500$,
first few days I switched to working on the Macpro I noticed something was missing,
the trashcan is almost totally silent, no more skull piercing scream of the devil !

So you may want to check the SPL levels of the new MBP fans under heavy workload,
and think about being exposed to that for 6-10 hours a day while you are trying to focus on music.
I suppose newer MBP models have less noisy fans than my old 2011 machine, but double check that

All the best,
Gio
Old 15th July 2019
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_AM View Post
Hi Jerry,
I've been using a 2011 MBP 17" 2,2GHz i7 for the past 8 years, Logic Pro X and OSX 10.10.5.
Mostly using DMG plugins like Equilibrium, Multiplicity, Limitless, and Waves PAZ analyser.
All good until the laptop cooling fans would kick in, then imagine a continuous 6-8 kHz laser whine straight into your ears/skull.
A few months ago I got a used MacPro 6-core trashcan, paid about 1500$,
first few days I switched to working on the Macpro I noticed something was missing,
the trashcan is almost totally silent, no more skull piercing scream of the devil !

So you may want to check the SPL levels of the new MBP fans under heavy workload,
and think about being exposed to that for 6-10 hours a day while you are trying to focus on music.
I suppose newer MBP models have less noisy fans than my old 2011 machine, but double check that

All the best,
Gio
Aha! the fan noise totally escaped my thought projection.

but i have noticed the annoying fan whine when producers bring one into a session.

and there’s the 16GB memory thing.

i’m thinking of a 2015 or 2016 model which may be quieter.

Wonder how Glenn Schick deals with it? anyone know? stay in the headphones <(:~o}~
Guess i could call Glenn and ask him!

thanks, JT
Old 15th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Tubb View Post
Aha! the fan noise totally escaped my thought projection.

but i have noticed the annoying fan whine when producers bring one into a session.

and there’s the 16GB memory thing.

i’m thinking of a 2015 or 2016 model which may be quieter.

Wonder how Glenn Schick deals with it? anyone know? stay in the headphones <(:~o}~
Guess i could call Glenn and ask him!

thanks, JT
The new laptops are WICKED fast fyi. I'm running a 2018 I9 and its insane. Fan picks up but only if I'm using heavy processing. I think the 2018 comes with High Sierra though. And the 2019 with Mojave (8 core though!!).

If you want an older one for an older operating system, people tend to like the 2015 as the last Apple laptop before the butterfly keyboard (my 2018 is failing but will be replaced for free), and the full range of ports (I actually don't mind the dongles). I actually have a top of the line barely used 2015 that I'm trying to sell if you are interested. I'm guessing you want to keep SB going as long as possible (32 bit goes bye bye in the next OS).
Old 15th July 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Hey Guys, I’m looking for MacBook Pro recommendations for DAW Mastering.

15” 2014 or newer with the i7 processor.

To run ProTools 12, UAD plugins, etc...

is 2014 too old? Staying Sierra OS if possible.

or are all of the MBPro i7 versions about the same, except for speed?

and USB connect with my Antelope Pure2.

My old Mac Pro Intel towers still work great in the pitch and catch scenario,

but i’m looking to add an update to this decade! :~o)>

Thanks, Jerry T
2014 MBP should be fine - as long as it's a 15" w/ SSD, i7 processor and 16 GB RAM.

Currently running mid-2014 15" MBP on El Cap 10.11.6 with LPX 10.3.3.

It starts to choke on mix projects that are STACKED with processing, and I mean stacked - both native and UAD plugs - around 70+ tracks.

Some of the native plugs I use - Soundtoys Sie-Q, Arts Acoustic Reverb, Waves LA-2A, LA-3A, REQ

I'm running the UAD-Octo with plenty of DSP hungry plugs - SSL Bundle, Neve 1073, Culture Vulture among others. Absolutely rock solid.

To be honest, I am purposely not upgrading to Sierra - Logic 10.4 has some nice new plugins, but I want to avoid plugin fatigue since I already have the Octo - so I will stay put on El Cap + LPX 10.3.3.
Old 15th July 2019
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos View Post
The new laptops are WICKED fast fyi. I'm running a 2018 I9 and its insane. Fan picks up but only if I'm using heavy processing. I think the 2018 comes with High Sierra though. And the 2019 with Mojave (8 core though!!).

If you want an older one for an older operating system, people tend to like the 2015 as the last Apple laptop before the butterfly keyboard (my 2018 is failing but will be replaced for free), and the full range of ports (I actually don't mind the dongles). I actually have a top of the line barely used 2015 that I'm trying to sell if you are interested. I'm guessing you want to keep SB going as long as possible (32 bit goes bye bye in the next OS).
Yes! i do want to keep soundBlade running for alap!

you can pm me with your asking price on the 2015 if you like.

best, jt
Old 15th July 2019
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by varunbkk View Post
2014 MBP should be fine - as long as it's a 15" w/ SSD, i7 processor and 16 GB RAM.

Currently running mid-2014 15" MBP on El Cap 10.11.6 with LPX 10.3.3.

It starts to choke on mix projects that are STACKED with processing, and I mean stacked - both native and UAD plugs - around 70+ tracks.

Some of the native plugs I use - Soundtoys Sie-Q, Arts Acoustic Reverb, Waves LA-2A, LA-3A, REQ

I'm running the UAD-Octo with plenty of DSP hungry plugs - SSL Bundle, Neve 1073, Culture Vulture among others. Absolutely rock solid.

To be honest, I am purposely not upgrading to Sierra - Logic 10.4 has some nice new plugins, but I want to avoid plugin fatigue since I already have the Octo - so I will stay put on El Cap + LPX 10.3.3.
Exactly the info i was looking for, thanks.

UAD Octo in an external box?

Yeah i really liked El Cap on my office Mac.

Cheers, JT

my old Mac Pro towers work and sound great, but i’m hitting the wall on any compatibility! DropBox keeps telling me I’m marooned.
Old 16th July 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:

UAD Octo in an external box?
Correct - the Quad/Octo Satellite are now available in external box configuration
- Thunderbolt (TB) and USB versions - for Mac & Windows respectively.

The previous version of the Satellite boxes was FW 800.
Old 16th July 2019
Lives for gear

Verified Member
OK I settled on a 2015 MacBook Pro 2.5GHz Quad Core.

OS X Sierra.

Should be sufficient for my needs.

Thanks for all the tips and replies!

Cheers, JT

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search