The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Lynx Hilo still a good purchase in 2019?
Old 3 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by matskull View Post
Thanks Peter.

I saw there's a new Antelope Amari, that seems to have similar I/o but there's not much info out there about it, I wonder how it is?
Full disclosure, I have zero direct experience and I'm sure plenty of people will disagree, but I see too many reports of lackluster drivers and support from Antelope. Seen numerous posts over the years about how, "I'll never buy another Antelope product again...", but I've yet to see anything like that about Lynx.

Completely a YMMV thing, but I'm really sold on the Hilo at this point.
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

I am considering replacing my Avocet with Hilo because of the higher number of outputs. My 2.2 speaker configuration would benefit if I run the subs from separate outs and separate dacs (could then use fir filters to perfectly integrate the subs) but my main question is if I can use Hilo main volume control to adjust volume of both main (xlr) and secondary (trs) outs at the same time (linked?)?. Because if not it would be impossible to have proper sub balance when changing volume.Does anyone use it this way? Thanks in advance!
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl1200mk2 View Post
Full disclosure, I have zero direct experience and I'm sure plenty of people will disagree, but I see too many reports of lackluster drivers and support from Antelope. Seen numerous posts over the years about how, "I'll never buy another Antelope product again...", but I've yet to see anything like that about Lynx.

Completely a YMMV thing, but I'm really sold on the Hilo at this point.
You're right and I got more info about it, apparently it cannot act as a multi channel interface, so you can't for example use the ads at the same time as the adda.

I looked at a lot of other options, and since I don't have 10K right now the Hilo is pretty much my only option so I ordered a used one.
I'll at least give it a shot and if I don't like it I can sell it without too much loss.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

I don't think you'll dislike the sound of the HILO. You may outgrow it but from a sonic standpoint, it's up there with the best of them, and has some advanced routing and monitor control features.

When I had a hilo I only used it in standalone mode because I had the Avocet for monitor control and final D/A duties.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertszydlo View Post
I am considering replacing my Avocet with Hilo because of the higher number of outputs. My 2.2 speaker configuration would benefit if I run the subs from separate outs and separate dacs (could then use fir filters to perfectly integrate the subs) but my main question is if I can use Hilo main volume control to adjust volume of both main (xlr) and secondary (trs) outs at the same time (linked?)?. Because if not it would be impossible to have proper sub balance when changing volume.Does anyone use it this way? Thanks in advance!

This is the Rotary Encoder Settings...set to master and add the outputs you wish to control.
Attached Thumbnails
Lynx Hilo still a good purchase in 2019?-20190714_121042.jpg  
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin P. View Post
I don't think you'll dislike the sound of the HILO. You may outgrow it but from a sonic standpoint, it's up there with the best of them, and has some advanced routing and monitor control features.

When I had a hilo I only used it in standalone mode because I had the Avocet for monitor control and final D/A duties.
Yeah I started looking at the Cranesong Solaris, Dangerous convert, Forssell, etc... and even though they all seem great and I'm sure listening through the solaris DAC or other really high end converter must be gratifying none of those options were complete by themselves and became rapidly expensive for my current situation.

Right now my PT rig is for sale so I don't have any way to integrate my HW, I need AES for my bricasti and a good ADDA loop for my SHMC, Bax and other 2 bus processors. I've started to like working ITB more and more but I'd like to give my analog gear another chance before I decide if I keep it or sell it.

So the Hilo will allow me to do that without breaking the bank. Also, I will eventually replace my Amphion speakers, they're great but not what I'm looking for anymore, so the next pair of speakers might have an AES input if it has DSP going on, so if I bought a super expansive DAC now and a set of speakers with AES inputs later, then the DAC would become pretty much wasted.

Anyway, the Hilo seemed like the only option that will allow me to test stuff and upgrade, add to, if I want to eventually with all it's I/Os and routing capabilities.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
interesting point of view: my converters age fairly well and i'm trying to keep up speed - but 'outgrow' a converter?!
Old 1 day ago
Here for the gear

Thank you very much , Michael!
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
interesting point of view: my converters age fairly well and i'm trying to keep up speed - but 'outgrow' a converter?!
I meant in terms of ins and outs.

My setup has evolved into a place where using just a HILO would be a limitation. In fact even when I had one, it was in standalone mode.

For example, my setup allows for 2 different DA and AD converters to be working simultaneously, and I can choose which one feeds the gear and which one captures the gear.

Then on my monitor controller I have a special digital out from my DAW that has the full unmastered (no plugins, no analog gear) that I can toggle between for real-time comparison.

Then I also have some AES meter loops to meter both pre and post analog chain on some Dorroughs, and software.

That's what I mean by outgrowing.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
I meant in terms of ins and outs.

My setup has evolved into a place where using just a HILO would be a limitation. In fact even when I had one, it was in standalone mode.

For example, my setup allows for 2 different DA and AD converters to be working simultaneously, and I can choose which one feeds the gear and which one captures the gear.

Then on my monitor controller I have a special digital out from my DAW that has the full unmastered (no plugins, no analog gear) that I can toggle between for real-time comparison.

Then I also have some AES meter loops to meter both pre and post analog chain on some Dorroughs, and software.

That's what I mean by outgrowing.
i see... - no risk here: rme madiface xt plus converters of choice :-)
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
i see... - no risk here: rme madiface xt here plus converters of choice :-)
Yes. I have the RME AES card which is very stable and flexible. No limitations or issues.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search