The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Seeking clipper plugin recommendations
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Hello!

I’m currently using PSP Vintage Warmer as a “clipper” plugin prior to compressor / limiter on my master chain.

Is there any benefit to replacing with a dedicated clipper plugin? If so I would very much appreciate some recommendations.

Thank you!
Old 4 weeks ago
Deleted 691ca21
Not used Vintage Warmer in decades, but been very happy with SIR StandardCLIP for years now. Only ever use it to transparently shave off the highest peaks with hard clipping though, never for "tone" with soft clipping etc.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Most have demo periods. Spend a day downloading and demo some different ones to see if any make a positive difference for you. StandardClip, Karzog, to name a few. Dave Pensado walks through a few of them on Into the Lair #190 on YouTube. Just grab a few and demo them. Easy-peezey!!!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Hey,

as Hermetech said, SIRAudioTools and their StandardCLIP is awesome. Also, just released the other day, Venn Audio - V-Clip. Try either (or both perhaps!) and see, well - hear actually for yourself. I use StandardCLIP all the time.

Krešo
Old 4 weeks ago
Deleted 691ca21
There's a new 128x OS one from Voxengo too, but I haven't tried it out yet.

https://www.voxengo.com/product/ovc128/
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

I know you want a dedicated clipper, but have you checked out the clipper in Limitless? That thing is pretty great, imo.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermetech Mastering View Post

I'm also demoing it, if you have the time could you compare it to converter clipping? cause to my ears it has some mojo going on.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

There is nothing that comes even close to Standard Clip by https://www.siraudiotools.com/StandardCLIP.php

Try it. I wont tell you, because you wont believe it. Try it with 8 or 16 times oversampling, hard clipping and linear phase response. And then raise the input. You wont believe it if you hear it.

Besides Reaper and Jamstix the best software I have ever bought.
Old 4 weeks ago
Deleted 691ca21
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooker View Post
I'm also demoing it, if you have the time could you compare it to converter clipping? cause to my ears it has some mojo going on.
I dunno, I have Elephant, and I presume it's just the same as the hard clipper in Elephant, (like their Bus Comp is just a dumbed down Elephant limiter algorithm), so probably won't bother demoing it. Very, very happy with StandardCLIP for years now, so no intention of changing. Also, I rarely clip my converters, (unless client wants crazy loud, not so common in my world) as I like to have a clean, unclipped, below 0dBFS master for future/archival purposes etc. I do analogue loop transfer and capture, then digital clipping, then final limiting and dither, in three different sessions.
Old 4 weeks ago
Deleted 691ca21
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteaxxxe View Post
There is nothing that comes even close to Standard Clip by https://www.siraudiotools.com/StandardCLIP.php

Try it. I wont tell you, because you wont believe it. Try it with 8 or 16 times oversampling, hard clipping and linear phase response. And then raise the input. You wont believe it if you hear it.

Besides Reaper and Jamstix the best software I have ever bought.
It's a great and easy to use hard clipper, usually 32x OS here, but there's nothing magic about it, and like any kind of limiting or clipping, it will be audible very quickly on certain types of material, sustained deep bass drones etc. So always best to go easy. Rarely more than 1-2dB of clipping here.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

For me what makes or breaks all these clippers is the implementation of oversampling. Some oversampling sounds cloudy to me, I felt that way about standard clip when I tried it. Never liked voxengos oversampling unfortunately. Limitless has Dave’s older oversampling which I also don’t like so much.

My favorite is kclip v2. For some reason it sounds better than v3 to me.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 691ca21 View Post
No problem, just for a heads up though its definitely not a standard clipping algo and I couldn't replicate it with elephant.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos View Post
For me what makes or breaks all these clippers is the implementation of oversampling. Some oversampling sounds cloudy to me, I felt that way about standard clip when I tried it. Never liked voxengos oversampling unfortunately. Limitless has Dave’s older oversampling which I also don’t like so much.

Yeah I still use kclip v2. Only use it for mixing.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Huh, yeah they all are different. Standard clip is good actually, and the Voxengo one sounds totally different than Elephant.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

TDR Limiter 6 GE. Set to Insane quality has been my favorite.

Haven't tried the Voxengo one yet, but I want to.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermetech Mastering View Post

It's excellent. Extremely good actually.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

In Standard CLIP you have massive control over the oversampling. You can literally tailor it to your own needs. It's what makes it stand out over any other clippers.. and it does up to 256x oversampling which is awesome.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmanic View Post
In Standard CLIP you have massive control over the oversampling. You can literally tailor it to your own needs. It's what makes it stand out over any other clippers.. and it does up to 256x oversampling which is awesome.
I found that! Yeah thats where the $ is. Sounds great.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmanic View Post
If you could only choose one clipper, which wine would it be?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Only one? Then it'd have to be Standard CLIP as it's so flexible and I know how to use it. I haven't yet demoed V-Clip by Venn Audio though.. it looks super flexible and offers massive oversampling options. This may very well be a good candidate for a desert island clipper. It has tons of different saturation modes and does a lot more than just basic clipping.

.. but I'm also very tempted to purchase this new Voxengo clipper due to it's CPU efficiency and sound (which is rather unique in my opinion).
Old 4 weeks ago
Deleted 691ca21
Same, and I already chose it for years. No intention of changing yet, although will try the new Voxengo.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The advanced clipper in Stereo Tool (by Thimeo Audio) is also quite special but it's definitely not for the feint of heart and is a real chore to setup.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

you should definitely try V-Clip by Venn Audio :

https://www.vennaudio.com/product/v-clip/

-Live tracing of your signal along the clipping curve for clear and transparent monitoring of your signal loudness and clipping amount.
-Double-precision 64-bit floating-point processing supported natively and upscaled internally regardless of input.
-Large selection of different clipping sigmoid functions to choose from.
-Up to 256x oversampling with three different advanced polyphasic anti aliasing filter types.
-Custom clipping mode to provide separate waveshaping for positive and negative samples plus DC offset control and filtering, allowing for unique sounding distortion with even and odd harmonics.
-Advanced waveform visualisation and oscilloscope view.
-Use Auto-gain or auto-ceiling to adjust for new peaks introduced by oversampling, or inter-sample peaks
-Built in test-tone, gain matching.

it's cheap but it's really good and versatile
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Standard clip is maybe the best of them. Unfortunately it’s the least optimized cpu wise. At least for Mac. At 32x oversampling I get crazy stutters. Meanwhile I can run the Voxengo one at 128 with no problems. Or limitless at 64x.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by abluesky View Post
Be careful when asking questions, because you may not like the answers:

I am not a mastering engineer, but speaking as a person subjected to what mastering engineers do, I am here to ask you people to STOP CLIPPING STUFF!

I have NEVER heard clipping make a final mix sound better!

NEVER!!!

...Louder, yes (but I have a volume knob, so your efforts in that regard are wasted).

PLEASE STOP DOING THIS TO MUSIC!

IT SUCKS!!!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Kazrog KClip works so fine and cost effective.
If you have a higher budget my choice would be overdriving the Softube Weiss DS1, the hw Is incredible as a clipper and the sw is pretty the same.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Standard clip is maybe the best of them. Unfortunately it’s the least optimized cpu wise. At least for Mac. At 32x oversampling I get crazy stutters. Meanwhile I can run the Voxengo one at 128 with no problems. Or limitless at 64x.
Same here on Mac. I can't go above 16x w SC. Still my favorite though.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet.d View Post
Same here on Mac. I can't go above 16x w SC. Still my favorite though.
It sounds 4x as good at 32x as opposed to 16x. So much that it influences my decisions.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by karibu View Post
If you have a higher budget my choice would be overdriving the Softube Weiss DS1, the hw Is incredible as a clipper and the sw is pretty the same.
I thought the DS-1 plugin couldn't be clipped?
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by karibu View Post
I tried that when I got it and to me it sounds terrible.

@ mmarra : you can if you set it to 24bits.

@ thermos : I finally ended up overclocking my PC yesterday so I could finish a session where standardclip sounded the best at 64x, I feel your pain
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search