The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Can't decide over one last UAD plugin for my bundle!
Old 9th June 2019
Here for the gear

Can't decide over one last UAD plugin for my bundle!

hey all,

so I'm looking to get 4 UAD essentials for my master chain.

currently I know for a fact I want:

- Shadow Hills comp
- Ampex tape
- Precision Maximizer

my genre is Pop music and Dance\EDM.

I hear all the time about Massive Passive but to be honest, EQ wise I'm really fine with Logic's native EQ. I'm still messing around with it using my 14 days demo... but I don't know if that's a good pick since I'm looking for really next-level type of plugins.

I also have the Maag EQ4 by Plugin Alliance which also helps me a ton EQ wise and if anything I'd probably get Brainworx's digital V3 by Plugin Alliance as it would also help me with mixing.

the idea is that the plugins I buy from UAD are for mastering ONLY... so when I need UAD plugins - it's when I'm in my studio mastering.

What should I get as a 4th plugin for mastering?

THANK YOU!
Old 11th June 2019
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I like the Precision EQ. A lot. I demo’d the Manley EQ but I couldn’t get my ears to make my wallet come out of its hiding place. Matter of fact, the entire Precision series is pretty solid (including the multi-band compressor, which I have used maybe three times since I bought it years ago; whenever you need that kind of processor, it’s very useful).
Old 11th June 2019
1. LA-2A Colllection.
2. 1176 Collection.
3. Capitol Chambers.
4. Shadow Hills .(or Pulteq)

Ampex and Maximizer Not very important.
Old 12th June 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Music View Post
1. LA-2A Colllection.
2. 1176 Collection.
3. Capitol Chambers.
4. Shadow Hills .(or Pulteq)

Ampex and Maximizer Not very important.
For mastering? I have never used a reverb in mastering, nor have I ever used the others in a mastering session. I'd recommend the Sonnox Limiter or the Dynamic EQ.
Old 12th June 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4130 View Post
For mastering? I have never used a reverb in mastering, nor have I ever used the others in a mastering session. I'd recommend the Sonnox Limiter or the Dynamic EQ.
Sorry
I wrote for choosing. When there is an opportunity, I think this is better. (Just my opinion)

+1.Sonnox Limiter.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

For the remaining UAD Plugin for mastering, i recommend u choose from these:
EQ:
- Massive Passive
- Dangerous BAX
- Brainworks BX V3 (Highly Recommended)

Compressors:
- SSL G (Highly Recommended)
- Manley Vari MU

Imaging:
- Precision K Stereo (Highly Recommended)
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
You could grab the BX and/or Dangerous Bax in a Plugin Alliance 29usd deal though (I did!)

There's no shortage of good SSL G series emulations in native land too (Cytomic's The Glue, BX Townhouse, DMG TrackComp etc..)

If you are going to stick with UAD, you may as well get something you can't get elsewhere I reckon
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by amirgelman View Post
hey all,

so I'm looking to get 4 UAD essentials for my master chain.

currently I know for a fact I want:

- Shadow Hills comp
- Ampex tape
- Precision Maximizer

my genre is Pop music and Dance\EDM.

I hear all the time about Massive Passive but to be honest, EQ wise I'm really fine with Logic's native EQ. I'm still messing around with it using my 14 days demo... but I don't know if that's a good pick since I'm looking for really next-level type of plugins.

I also have the Maag EQ4 by Plugin Alliance which also helps me a ton EQ wise and if anything I'd probably get Brainworx's digital V3 by Plugin Alliance as it would also help me with mixing.

the idea is that the plugins I buy from UAD are for mastering ONLY... so when I need UAD plugins - it's when I'm in my studio mastering.

What should I get as a 4th plugin for mastering?

THANK YOU!
IMO I'd go for big color out of UAD plugs, and leave the more careful/transparent stuff to DMG, Fabfilter, iZotope, etc.

I'd second the manley varimu rec and urge you to demo the chandler curve bender.

I get a lot of mileage out of the manley varimu - certainly more than i do out of the shadow hills comp, but that's just me. I don't use it as a compressor (i.e., it's rarely doing much GR) so much as for its "box tone", and i don't use it all the time. but when it's great it's great. I could see it working for some pop tunes or down-tempo, vibey electronic music. Traditional EDM probably not so much, though who knows from specific track to track.

I don't care much for the UAD massive passive these days. I also don't like the UAD millennia either. For the past couple months i've been experimenting with the Chandler Curve Bender and, in small doses, I've been liking it a lot. Especially on electronic music. I get a weighty, hefty, and sheeny tone out of it, provided I don't go overboard judiciously. Just turn it on, one click here and there of boost or attenuation. It's quite nice, though it doesn't seem to get trotted out on the forum.

You open to hearing recs outside of UAD? IMO they make good color pieces for mastering on a budget, but other companies (DMG, Leapwing, Fabfilter, etc) offer stellar processing far outside the UAD wheelhouse.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Other than an EQ plugin, to complement what you have already chosen, a harmonics generator, the VSM-3: https://www.uaudio.com/uad-plugins/m...satellite.html
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru
I just got the Dangerous BAX on the PIA sale. Any love for it out there? Seems to have lovely curves.
I'm getting really jaded with plug ins since I've got sooo many good ones......
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Go for the curve bender??
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Yeah, Ther you go! I recommended the Bax to a friend yesterday as it was 9 bucks in this week’s sale with the current $20 off voucher! I grabbed the SPL Twin Tube for the same price this morning which was pretty sweet. I would feel a bit gutted if I was a UAD user shelling out for the UAD Bax when it’s native at that price.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search