The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How often (if ever) do you reject work because of content?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

How often (if ever) do you reject work because of content?

Just wondering what everyone out there thinks about this? I don't mean rejected due to music you dislike, but racist, misogynistic, violent stuff. I've rejected a few projects - and in one case it made me very nervous after doing so (violent, anti-semitic)...now I just feign being oversubscribed.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Yes, I refused to cut a white supremacist record a few years ago. Noticed the lyrics and pulled the plug. Called the broker I was cutting for and the client got black-listed.

That's the only time I can remember is 30+ years.
Old 2 weeks ago
Deleted b738100
Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
Just wondering what everyone out there thinks about this? I don't mean rejected due to music you dislike, but racist, misogynistic, violent stuff. I've rejected a few projects - and in one case it made me very nervous after doing so (violent, anti-semitic)...now I just feign being oversubscribed.
I´m really happy I´ve never experienced situations like this.

Absolutely love your Single Mic Series, btw.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorka View Post
I´m really happy I´ve never experienced situations like this.

Absolutely love your Single Mic Series, btw.
ah thank you very much! J
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Glad you did it. Respect. Work with good music, positive stuff and normal heavy music, but not racism, hatred, fascism etc
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereo Flux View Post
Glad you did it. Respect. Work with good music, positive stuff and normal heavy music, but not racism, hatred, fascism etc
Yeah - but it occurred to me that I'm very easy to find.... scared me a bit.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

I've never had the opportunity to opt out of a music job, but doing commercials and post I did ask off of a tobacco job. This was when tobacco ads had been banned on US TV but you could still smoke almost anywhere.

I thought I might get fired, but it turns out the clients preferred having a smoker for a mixer so it was a win (cough) win.

Later on, working at the same place, for a CBS 60 Minutes project I got booked as recordist for three days of interviews with Roger Ailes and Richard Nixon. My bosses thought I'd try to get out of that one for sure, but I didn't. They asked me why, and I said something to the effect that when it came to pure evil, Nixon on his darkest day couldn't touch Philip Morris.

The Nixon thing was fascinating, btw, but wow. Evil enough.

Last edited by Brent Hahn; 2 weeks ago at 12:33 AM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
i didn't had to turn down any mastering (which makes up the lesser part if my work anyway) but i have refused to open the mic for/cut off a talking head several times - which didn't always end up well as you might imagine...

interestingly enough, it even got me a job: one of the security guards of a high level politician noticed quite well what was happening (when some idiot on a panel discussion was trying to get his fascistic cheering across but me cutting him off pretty quickly) and approached me after the convention whether i'd be interested in doing some work for the government/international organizations - i'm working for the un, osce and meetings of g7/g8 since.

(i'm too young that i could have been involved with nixon but putin is pretty creepy too!)
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

i bounce anything that has evil content. i wont record it or be a part of its creation.

if you feel it in your bones, and the feelings bad, its ok to say no.

Buddha
Old 2 weeks ago
I've never had anything where the lyrics were unambiguously bigoted. Maybe once in a while someone has not really thought about how their words could be construed (usually referring to women as "child" in a romantic context or something similar), which I would certainly bring up if I were a producer, but it's under the threshold of what I'd deem unnaccptable to work on.

If anything ever came through that was obviously bigoted - white power, homophobia etc - I would absolutely turn them down, and I hope I'd have the courage to tell them exactly why and not mince my words.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I master a lot of psychedelic electronica and have considered charging extra if tracks include Terrence McKenna samples
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

since i built up my business slowly and had a job in broadcasting for a long time, i didn't have to kiss every unsympathetic person's ass and today i'm allowed to serve a very pleasant clientele, that's why i almost never have to cancel anything.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Verified Member
I work with a very talented Hip Hop artist. Some of his lyrics are somewhat off beat. When he would visit my studio I would turn to him when I heard something I found slightly offensive and he would grin and say "it sells records". He is a GREAT family man and a genuinely nice human being but he does do a lot of lyrics that others may fine offensive.

I did some mastering for a punk rock group (name withheld) and the lead singer spent 35 of the 47 minutes of the CD talking about putting things into and out of his butt and when I got though with the mastering a had to take a shower to get all the junk off me. I was asked to do their next album but I declined. I never wanted to be associated with the album and asked that my name not be used as mastering engineer. I never in my entire life heard anything like what I was asked to master . YUCK!!! Had I known what I would have been asked to master I would probably have declined the first album. FWIW
Old 2 weeks ago
What's wrong with putting stuff into and out of your butt? All harmless fun!
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippocratic Mastering View Post
What's wrong with putting stuff into and out of your butt? All harmless fun!
Not what he was putting into and out of his butt...bananas included. YUCK!!!
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
Not what he was putting into and out of his butt...bananas included. YUCK!!!
This sounds like a Candid Camera stunt.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
This sounds like a Candid Camera stunt.
No joke, it was disgusting and yucky. I never want to master ANYTHING like that again...
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
No joke, it was disgusting and yucky. I never want to master ANYTHING like that again...
Send it to me. Sh!tty music is my specialty!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Now I've got "pull up to my bumper baby" in my head
Old 2 weeks ago
I really want to hear this punk record now. Just thinking about it has my anus expanding.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I've recently started refusing to work with labels who release "questionable" stuff (mostly far right). This has lost me and will continue to lose me a few clients, but my integrity is more important to me.

I was at a talk/gig in London last week, dealing with this issue, fascist entryism into musical, occult and psychedelic sub-cultures. Pays to be aware of this stuff.

And I don't feign being over-subscribed, I'll tell the artist outright, "I won't work with you if it's coming out on that label". And of course they'll ask why, and I'll explain. These artists aren't fascist but they, knowingly or unknowingly, will accept money from labels who also release dodgy material/bands. I just won't do it any more, and don't want my name associated etc.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I passed on something that was passive aggressive hate, bigotry, and racism. It was far left so it was to be expected but in the future I'm going to keep passing on that kind of stuff. I have a friend who doesn't do rap anymore - he said he got one too many "F**k the police, kill whitey" thing. He said the rap guys usually are pretty friendly and it's all an act, but he doesn't feel comfortable doing it anymore.

It's not a big deal. You cut off a client, all you're cutting off is more of that kind of stuff coming your way.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I only work with Hip Hop. I’ve heard plenty of “**** the Police” type of lyrics, but never anything remotely close to “kill whitey”, that’s horrible. There are plenty of white people and people of all ethnicities/skin tones in Hip Hop.

If hearing lyrics mentioning Colin Kaepernick, Obama, Black Lives Matter, Police Injustice and other “left wing” type of lyrics bother you, please send them my way (especially if you feel an entire genre of music is “racist”). I have no problems with people using music to voice their opinion against hatred, bigotry and disenfranchisement.
Old 1 week ago
This might be a bit off topic, but not too long ago I co-produced (along with the artist- fairly well known in some circles) a project where one of the songs was a sarcastic parody of the life of a guitar player for hire (but funny). One of my jobs as co-producer was to find side musicians for the project.

I approach an extremely good player that I know (who is also a really great guy and fun to work with) about playing on several songs and I sent him rough mixes. He took offense at the parody song and turned down a good paying gig.

This caused me to think more about the song. I cold see the guitar player's point, but ultimately decided that the song had "artistic merit" and, while not exactly my kind of humor, it caused nor meant no harm, so I went ahead with the project. I respect the guitar player's position, but didn't find his objections strong enough for me to quit the project.

You can't please everyone all the time.
Old 1 week ago
Village Idiot

Quote:
"+0.549dB at 8.345Khz...Perfect!"

Gustav
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I did a death metal record the other week. I might have turned it down, except I couldn't understand a bloody word he was saying.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict
Never had to do this. Do know of a fella who won't do in-sessions with African Americans.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by eternalsound View Post
Never had to do this. Do know of a fella who won't do in-sessions with African Americans.
Wow. Just wow.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
seriously.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I’ve worked on ~many~ records that had very very challenging lyrics, ones I wouldn’t want my saintly mother to ever hear.

especially back in the 90s, when i was mastering lots of punk alt music, where the lyrics were designed to shock the listener.

the band “Stick Men with Ray Guns” comes to mind!

Cherubs song “Half a Rat” got my attention

lots of Emo’s bands.

sex, drugs, rock & roll... and alternative culture pushed to the extreme.

but i don’t think any of it was overtly racist or anything.

more “theater of the absurd” type material...

in a way, it was lots of fun, often made me laugh at the shock factor.

don’t hear much of that these days, everyone’s sooo sensitive about everything.

best, jt

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search