The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Quiet Verse - Loud Chorus
Old 26th May 2019
Quiet Verse - Loud Chorus

hello,

what is your approach in mastering/levelling quiet verses to loud choruses?

thanks

v
Old 26th May 2019
Lives for gear

If the difference is extreme and the client is concerned about it, then a simple gain automation usually does the trick. Otherwise I leave it alone.

More often than not I'm making tweaks in the opposite direction to enhance the impact of the chorus.
Old 26th May 2019
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
hello,

what is your approach in mastering/levelling quiet verses to loud choruses?

thanks

v
I would make sure that the volume difference makes musical sense and that the listener won't have to look for the volume control .
Old 26th May 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothTone View Post

More often than not I'm making tweaks in the opposite direction to enhance the impact of the chorus.
Exactly ... be thankful the chorus is louder. maybe they made it like that on purpose if they aim for a loud master figuring the chorus will be crushed.

like SmoothTone said, usually it's the other way around - the chorus is overcompressed from the mix already, lifeless and flat compared to the verse so it's difficult to adjust it to have the right impact after a more dynamic verse.
Old 26th May 2019
Lives for gear

I try to preserve the perceived dynamic differences between song sections as it is in the unmastered mix unless otherwise requested by the client.
Old 27th May 2019
Deleted 691ca21
If it sounds good, leave it, if it doesn't, change it.
Old 28th May 2019
Gear Guru

Verified Member
Leave it alone UNLESS the client requests a change would be my suggestion. I did a live recording on a CD where the changes in dynamics are great (fff to ppp) and happen repeatedly and I mentioned this to the client and they said "leave it alone, they need to hear it the way it sounded in the hall and not squashed". OK that is what I did.

FWIW
Old 11th June 2019
Lives for gear

those dynamics are intentional, and the mix engineer has spent a lot of time getting them right.

thats if he is any good.

Buddha
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search