The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
vinyl transfer for club use: remove rumble ? Equalisers (HW)
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

vinyl transfer for club use: remove rumble ?

Hello,

I'm currently recording tracks from vinyl that are sadly not avaiable in digital form. I use a Technics 1210 with a Nagaoka MP500 through an Alpha Recording Systems Model 4100 Mixer. I noticed on many tracks some noise at around 25 hz on the RME Digicheck analyzer which I want to remove, to avoid sound issues when playing back the recorded tracks through CDJs in the club.

I've been reading a bit into the different kinds of equalizer types, linear phase, minimum phase etc and also listened to some examples. On showed the pre-ringing of a minimum phase on a drum track which I could clearly hear on my home studio monitors.

Which eq would you recomend to remove that kind of rumble? I tried it with the UAD Manley Massive Passive with a shelf and bell filter at 22 hz, but that didn't really make a difference on the analyser. Then I put on the SSL channelstrip and used the 18db/octave high pass filter at the lowest setting of 20 hz and that did it. I tried listening to any differences in the sound, like on transients or phase, but couldn't hear a difference.
Would you recommend using the SSL channelstrip for such a task? Or are there better equalizers?

Thanks a lot
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Wouldn't recommend trying to fix something you can't hear. People play vinyl on club systems regularly still. Just transfer and enjoy.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I'd go for some kind of noise reduction like RX Spectral DeNoise. That way you would only remove the bass when there was nothing happening in that frequency range.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

If you plan to eq's these frequency, please don't use linear phase mode
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Rumble is a function of the turntable and tone arm. It’s most likely not on the record. That’s why lots of preamps have a rumble filter.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Use RX.

As a DJ who used to play vinyl and a mastering engineer I would say rumble aint gonna sound good if you can get rid.
Old 1 week ago
DAH
Lives for gear

For a tonearm resonance, 25 Hz sounds like incredibly high. Warps only enforce tonearm resonance, spindle excentricities too?
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

Thanks for all the replies. When I normalized the track and the rumble I see on the analyzer is below -35 db, should I perhaps now worry about it because it is to low in volume to get heard or make any damage on a club pa?
Old 6 days ago
tkr
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAH View Post
For a tonearm resonance, 25 Hz sounds like incredibly high. Warps only enforce tonearm resonance, spindle excentricities too?
Tonearm resonance usually lies around 10 Hz.

Turntable rumble is mostly a motor-, drive wheel- or turntable bearing issue.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Turntable rumble is about the platter bearing and drive, not the tonearm, and it would be transmitted by the stylus as it tracked the record. Tonearm resonance might produce tracking issues, depending the cartridge used. But it wouldn't contribute to turntable rumble.

If there is some low-frequency defect in a recording, the best way to deal with would be to use a NR program. Rumble has a fairly simple spectral profile. Perhaps even Audacity could deal with it.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I recently did a transfer of a 90's death metal classic for a reissue. The only available master there was, was the original LP. We picked the best one, transfered it, and the basic clean-up for the rumble and other kind of noise was snippets from the silent passages, low passed at something like ~150Hz and then used as a noise sample for noise reduction. The noise/rumble seemed to evolve a little bit throughout the record so I used multiple samples. This alone cleaned up the sound quite a bit with practically no side effects.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

All are good advice about different techniques, which could be used for rumble removal.
I've personally used all from simple clean HPF through spectral gating and subtraction to dedicated removal effects (Oxford DeBuzzer is killer in that regard and tracks fundamental down to 20 Hz thanks to long FFT and has either classic notch or comb filtering).

Generally it's all fine, but context is always the key.. different turntable, tape machine or material can ask for different technique and process tweaking. Also sometimes it's feasible to reinforce something back by subsequent processing.
There is always some tradeoff, be it phase shift, preringing with LP filters or some spectral processing. You can of course decide, whether particular treatment suits the material (like dance music might be super sensitive for treatment in this area compared to some other genres), but you need to hear that at least to some extent.

It's pretty easy to batch process all captures guided by analyzer and verify that as perfectly improved and punchy at say 5 inch nearfields.. On the other hand it's also pretty easy to find out, that it's completely veiled and weak, when you than compare that to untreated version at PA system with subs and xovers.. and conclude the applied cure is worse than disease.

So unless you have reasonable system at home or chance and time to do least couple of listening tests elsewhere, then I agree with @ jerry123 ..
I'd left LF issues intact, unless I'd find (at know PA likely) it's really causing some problems.

Michal
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search