The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Noise Reduction on the 2 track file.
Old 4 weeks ago
Noise Reduction on the 2 track file.

Im working totally ITB. Music creation, mixing, etc. For some reason my bounce file sounds too "high-ish-high-sheen-ish sibilance." From what I was told was that, all the digital elements together as a collective can make a mix sound "piercing." Like to brightened.

I thought about when I used to have a Tascam 4 track recorder. There was a little "NR" switch on it that stood for Noise Reduction. I remember how I would turn that on after a recording and all of a sudden, the mix, the song, instantly got quieter. was like all the "sheen" and "high sibilance" that was there was gone or at least brought down to a minimum.

I was thinking about using audacity's Noise Reduction feature on my song mix down file.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
If your mix is spectrally unbalanced you need to figure out what parts are out of balance and fix just those things individually, then remix. Trying to fix it after the fact will never be as good as dealing the with the actual problem first.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Verified Member
Not sure that using noise reduction for a track that needs no noise reduction is a good idea.

A really good mix needs very little eq during mastering. I just did one for a client and the mix was really good. Only a .5dBs or less dip in a couple of places in the high mids.
Another consideration is how smooth is the frequency response?
If there is not enough power from the transition from low to high the highs can sound exposed and brittle. Sometimes there is nothing wrong with the highs but the power in other bands make it sound sharp or brittle.

Be brave. Make sure you have enough energy in the bottom end and that it then flattens out through the low mids and beyond. Then adjust the highs.

When mixing I have been know to add lots of body to HiHats 150-250Hz so to balance out the highs and give the hats some weight. It also allows me to have them louder in the mix without them slicing your face off.

Each area of the spectrum may need a different treatment. Sub, low, low mid, mid, high mid, high. They are all as important as each other and have a psychoacoustic relationship. You need to get them all right.
Use an RTA like "Span" made by VoxnGo and send us a pic of the average and maximum output. No smoothing, tilt set to 4.5. Then I can give you an idea of what might be causing the sheen you describe.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I presume that you were recording with no Dbx noise reduction encoding so switching on the noise reduction for playback only would act as an expander. Uhe's Satin tape emulator has the option of encoding/decoding with 2 emulations of Dbx (as well as Dolby) which would probably give you exactly the same effect.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

You might want to demo https://oeksound.com/plugins/soothe/

It was designed for vocal tracks but can be used on mixes.
Old 4 weeks ago
DAH
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallycapmusic View Post
Im working totally ITB. Music creation, mixing, etc. For some reason my bounce file sounds too "high-ish-high-sheen-ish sibilance."
For some reason?
Is playback OK and only after bounce that sheen occurs? Check the bounce settings, master buss processing etc.
If it's not the case and that sheen starts to appear in the mixing process, then revisit your mixing approach.
I would not look for remedies without finding the cause. It looks illogical to put your time into the mix and then f it up with noise reduction.
And no, digital per se does not make sound piercing. You as mixer do.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallycapmusic View Post
I thought about when I used to have a Tascam 4 track recorder. There was a little "NR" switch on it that stood for Noise Reduction. I remember how I would turn that on after a recording and all of a sudden, the mix, the song, instantly got quieter. was like all the "sheen" and "high sibilance" that was there was gone or at least brought down to a minimum.
That's an encode and decode process. If recorded with NR on (DBX or Dolby), you play it back with it on, otherwise it will play back over-bright, over-compressed, and noisy. When recorded and played back on the same machine (with clean heads) it works as it should.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
For some reason my bounce file sounds too "high-ish-high-sheen-ish sibilance."
Then you need to fix it in the mix and mix it until you are 100% satisfied with how it sounds. The bounced file should; sound exactly like your mix sounds. No difference what so ever. So if you are not getting the results you want, fix it in the mix, where you have access to individual tracks
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search