The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Mastering EQ for High Mids and Highs
Old 13th April 2019
Mastering EQ for High Mids and Highs

hello!

what is your favourite mastering EQ (hardware only) for hi mids boosts as well as for high boosts?

thank you

vlado
Old 13th April 2019
Lives for gear

is always a question of what you hope to get out of it.
clarity?
details?
air?
silky and discreet?
force and bite?
Old 13th April 2019
Deleted e999d8e
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
what is your favourite mastering EQ (hardware only) for hi mids boosts as well as for high boosts?
Hardware? What's that?
Old 13th April 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by teebaum View Post
is always a question of what you hope to get out of it.
clarity?
details?
air?
silky and discreet?
force and bite?
i really like sontec 432 highs and EAR 822/823 mids, i guess thats the sound im after.
Old 13th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
i really like sontec 432 highs and EAR 822/823 mids, i guess thats the sound im after.
so take a sontec432 or a ear822/823 (they sound IMHO quiet different)
Old 13th April 2019
Quote:
so take a sontec432 or a ear822/823 (they sound IMHO quiet different)
thanks for the tip - the question was what you guys prefer for high mid / highs boosting, respectively. it doesn't have to be one EQ.
Old 13th April 2019
Lives for gear

I always liked a half dB of 3.3kHz on the Great River MAQ-2NV for making the high mids come alive.

For big, broad high boosts I love the SPL PQ. It's smooth and musical and I guess it's a nod towards the Sontec sound.
Old 13th April 2019
Sontec 432 and Pultec EQM-1S3,
For extreme highs the GML 9500 is also very good
Old 14th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
thanks for the tip - the question was what you guys prefer for high mid / highs boosting, respectively. it doesn't have to be one EQ.
if I want it smooth, organic and silky, I'll take a knif eksa

if it has to be like butter, I take a gyraf g23-s

i want it to be poppy, a tubetech hlt2am with NOS tubes is great.

if i want it to rock, i like an api 5500 with scott liebers red dot opamps or a hendyamp michelangelo.

it should be rather neutral, but still have a little mojo, the bereich03 modules are quite good

Last edited by teebaum; 15th April 2019 at 11:48 AM..
Old 15th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothTone View Post
I always liked a half dB of 3.3kHz on the Great River MAQ-2NV for making the high mids come alive.

For big, broad high boosts I love the SPL PQ. It's smooth and musical and I guess it's a nod towards the Sontec sound.
Old 15th April 2019
Gear Maniac

Sparkle, Avalon 2055/77, Super clean GML9500, hi mids Maselec, more color TG12345.
Old 15th April 2019
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Clear clean highs: Thermionic Pullet @ 30k (or 35k, whatever it is)
Smooth highs: Gyraf G23
I don't know it's there highs: Porter-Grinder

I don't find myself adding mid / upper mid all that much - prefer cutting elsewhere to balance. But the 3k/3.5k on the Pullet can be like putting fresh drumheads on. Very nice. For bringing vocals forward roughly around that area, Gyraf G14 (possibly in parallel) is hard to beat.
Old 15th April 2019
Lives for gear

SPL PQ for enhanced detail on the highs.
Swift Eq for natural highs.
Mids Millenia FF mod.
Old 15th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by polybonk View Post
SPL PQ for enhanced detail on the highs.
Swift Eq for natural highs.
Mids Millenia FF mod.
you have a TC Swift?
can you describe your impressions a little?
Old 15th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
you have a TC Swift?
Have you seen the TC "THE KITE"?
It seems interesting....
Old 15th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirochandler View Post
Have you seen the TC "THE KITE"?
It seems interesting....
looks like a mojo-monster.
I got myself one to try out.

Last edited by teebaum; 15th April 2019 at 02:11 PM..
Old 15th April 2019
Lives for gear

Verified Member
The Sontec is pretty hard to beat in the upper mids, I’ve never heard anything sound more natural.
Old 15th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben F View Post
The Sontec is pretty hard to beat in the upper mids, I’ve never heard anything sound more natural.
upper mids are a bloody difficult area...
Old 15th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
you have a TC Swift?
I have one, although not very long yet. I have used it on extremely critical acoustic material (gut strings) and have been amazed by its naturalness, even at very extreme settings. With Knif Vari Mu, Gyraf G23S, SPL Passeq, TK-lizer and a few other boxes (tested in succession, not all at the same time) the musicians complained about audible filtering. But when sent through the Swift they went berserk about the beauty of the sound (especially the upper mids). Not only are the highs superb, also the mids and lows are of exceptional quality: never harsh, never too soft. Lows are tightened up in a way as if blur is being removed. You can literally move instruments back and forth with it in the sound stage. The Swift is absolutely not a colour box, but very natural sounding. Within the first ten minutes of using it I knew I was going to love it. It's a collection of Vic Keary's all time EQ hits, expanded with some very nice other things based on great classics.
Old 16th April 2019
Knif Soma, Curve Bender, CAG (Sontec Clone) and the 2055.
Old 16th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
looks like a mojo-monster.
I got myself one to try out.
I just discovered this EQ in my searches yesterday. Look forward to hearing your take on it.
Old 16th April 2019
Deleted 691ca21
I also love my Pullet for high shelving, I modded mine foe 3dB cuts and boosts instead of 6dB, but my frequencies are standard.
Old 16th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tengu View Post
I just discovered this EQ in my searches yesterday. Look forward to hearing your take on it.
i hope i get it before eastern - otherwise i can listen to him after my holidays.
Old 30th May 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 691ca21 View Post
I also love my Pullet for high shelving, I modded mine foe 3dB cuts and boosts instead of 6dB, but my frequencies are standard.
Is this a straightforward modification to carry out? I have a stock Pullet arriving this week.
Thanks
Old 31st May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tengu View Post
i have the kite now for some time, but unfortunately a tube was not 100% ok and i got an exchange in the meantime - sx pro and TC behaved very well.
the device is almost unbeatable when it comes to opening a mix. the treble boost is simply not audible - first class.
the high middles are very broadband, also here it's more about a presents-lift than about detailed lifting - "the kite" screams for a combination with a surgical eq.
i didn't like the basses in the beginning, but you can give a lot of weight to a mix, if that's missing.
sometimes it works together with the bass cut, but you have to be lucky that the wide bands just fit to the mix.
the high pass is really useless, the cut already too much at 20hz.
attitude can only be used up to position 2 on a mix, but i always found better options for it.

Last edited by teebaum; 2nd June 2019 at 11:24 PM..
Old 31st May 2019
Deleted 691ca21
Quote:
Originally Posted by monsterz View Post
Is this a straightforward modification to carry out? I have a stock Pullet arriving this week.
Thanks
Change one resistor value for each channel, 5 min soldering job.
Old 2nd June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
i have the swift now for some time, but unfortunately a tube was not 100% ok and i got an exchange in the meantime - sx pro and TC behaved very well.
the device is almost unbeatable when it comes to opening a mix. the treble boost is simply not audible - first class.
the high middles are very broadband, also here it's more about a presents-lift than about detailed lifting - "the kite" screams for a combination with a surgical eq.
i didn't like the basses in the beginning, but you can give a lot of weight to a mix, if that's missing.
sometimes it works together with the bass cut, but you have to be lucky that the wide bands just fit to the mix.
the high pass is really useless, the cut already too much at 20hz.
attitude can only be used up to position 2 on a mix, but i always found better options for it.
Is the second half of your message about The Swift, or about The Kite? Since The Swift does not have an "attitude" knob I would guess it is about The Kite, but the first half of your statement starts with a mention of The Swift. In another recent thread you stated that The Swift would no meet your needs in a mastering context and so it would not be interesting for you: Thermionic Culture: THE KITE - Experiences? Did you buy a The Swift too, after all? I'm confused about what you are describing now.
Old 2nd June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earcatcher View Post
Is the second half of your message about The Swift, or about The Kite? Since The Swift does not have an "attitude" knob I would guess it is about The Kite, but the first half of your statement starts with a mention of The Swift. In another recent thread you stated that The Swift would no meet your needs in a mastering context and so it would not be interesting for you: Thermionic Culture: THE KITE - Experiences? Did you buy a The Swift too, after all? I'm confused about what you are describing now.
soooooory - the kite, not the swift.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search