The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
2 Channel AD/DA converter
Old 12th April 2019
  #1
Gear Addict
 
toofanstudio's Avatar
 

Verified Member
2 Channel AD/DA converter

I need to 1 mastering sound card with with this parameter :

1. +24 dbu in/out or more ...
2. 24 bit / 96 khz
3. just 2 channel in/out analog
4. just 2 channel in/out AES
5. 1 interface not separate AD and DA 2 interface
6. I don't need any Headphone-SPDIF-MADI or more function like LCD and ...
7. Price around 1k up to 3k
8. I don't need any dithering / sample-rate converter
9. good dynamic
10. Word clock

what is your suggestion ?
Old 12th April 2019
  #2
Lives for gear
 
Poinzy's Avatar
 

Come on, man. You're shifting the burden of product research to other people. This is your problem. What have you discovered on your own, if anything?
Old 12th April 2019
  #3
Apogee Symphony mkii 2x6 SE. This is the Mastering version of the Symphony mkii. Also the Crane Song Quantum HEDD but unfortunately there are long back orders on this (worth the wait though!).
Old 12th April 2019
  #4
Gear Head
 
KK_AM's Avatar
Antelope Pure2 would fit,
except for being +20 dBU instead of +24. Or Lynx Hilo.
Old 12th April 2019
  #5
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_AM View Post
Antelope Pure2 would fit,
except for being +20 dBU instead of +24. Or Lynx Hilo.
Might want to check out the new Antelope Amari as another option. It is +24dBu, with better tech specs than Pure2 or Hilo.
AMARI | Antelope Audio

Also, the Pure2 can be calibrated up to +26 dBu.

Last edited by DonSpacht; 12th April 2019 at 09:30 PM..
Old 13th April 2019
  #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanEldred View Post
Apogee Symphony mkii 2x6 SE. This is the Mastering version of the Symphony mkii. Also the Crane Song Quantum HEDD but unfortunately there are long back orders on this (worth the wait though!).
Did you get to hear them side by side ?
Old 17th April 2019
  #7
Lives for gear
 
gorka's Avatar
 

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonSpacht View Post
Might want to check out the new Antelope Amari as another option. It is +24dBu, with better tech specs than Pure2 or Hilo.
AMARI | Antelope Audio
This is announced for one and a half years now but still unavailable...
Old 17th April 2019
  #8
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorka View Post
This is announced for one and a half years now but still unavailable...
It just came out, which is why I suggested it. Used the production version last week - sounds incredible - and we are just working on giving the build information to dealers now. (I work for Antelope if that wasn't clear)
Old 17th April 2019
  #9
Lives for gear
 
gorka's Avatar
 

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonSpacht View Post
It just came out, which is why I suggested it. Used the production version last week - sounds incredible - and we are just working on giving the build information to dealers now. (I work for Antelope if that wasn't clear)
That makes sense, then .
Old 17th April 2019
  #10
Mytek Brooklyn ADC = $1995. It does everything. Project Audio Pre Box S2 DAC, $399 or less for DAC playback. I saved you $600.
Old 18th April 2019
  #11
Gear Nut
 
12th & Vine's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
Project Audio Pre Box S2 DAC, ... for DAC playback.
It looks nicely implemented. Did you have a hand in this design?

If you did, I see it uses 2 x ESS9038Q2M Do you mind if I ask if you think the only difference between the ESS9038Q2M and ESS9038PRO is the 8 channels in the PRO?

Last edited by 12th & Vine; 18th April 2019 at 05:10 AM..
Old 18th April 2019
  #12
Lives for gear
 
gorka's Avatar
 

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
Mytek Brooklyn ADC = $1995. It does everything. Project Audio Pre Box S2 DAC, $399 or less for DAC playback. I saved you $600.
I´m still grateful for your recommendation of the Pre Box S2 but we shouldn´t forget that in most cases you´ll need something like this:

MUTEC - Professional A/V and High-End Equipment - MC-1.1+

MUTEC - Professional A/V and High-End Equipment - MC-6

plus a quality d.i. to integrate it in a professional studio setup.

The Amari looks like an interesting option and I will definitely give it a try in the near future.
Old 20th April 2019
  #13
Gear Head
 

The new Merging Anubis is another possibility, if Ravenna/AES67 is an option. It's definitely something I want to hear.
Old 21st April 2019
  #14
Lives for gear
 
Slug1's Avatar
A number of fantastic options.

Lynx Hilo - great converters and amazing routing control from the touch screen. Also set the converter levels from touchscreen. Don’t have to open the box and twist jumpers.

Apogee new Symphony MkII 2x6 mastering - tremendous converters.

Antelope Pure 2 - tremendous converters. New Amari looks cool too.

Used Cranesong HEDD 192 - even with the new Quantum, the old HEDD is still amazing at every level, and you get the DSP.

Prism Lyra 2 - great converters

RME ADI2 Pro - great converters

A lot of options. None better than the other, just different.
Old 1st May 2019
  #15
Lives for gear
 
Adebar's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by toofanstudio View Post
I need to 1 mastering sound card with with this parameter :

1. +24 dbu in/out or more ...
2. 24 bit / 96 khz
3. just 2 channel in/out analog
4. just 2 channel in/out AES
5. 1 interface not separate AD and DA 2 interface
..
..
Often great AD/DA converters don't have a computer interface like USB, TB, Dante, ...

That's why I would take a look at great plain ADDA converters like
- Forssell MADA-2a
- Acousence arfi-system 191
- Lake People ADDAc F466
- ...
all just 1 RU at 19"

and connect them via AES/EBU with an existing interface. If there is none
a small an affordable AES Interface like the Yellotec PUC2lite can to the job.
https://www.yellowtec.com/fileadmin/...-Specs-web.pdf

This way you have access to every great converter you want and connect it via any interface which don't has to be expensive.
Old 6th May 2019
  #16
Gear Addict
 
toofanstudio's Avatar
 

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slug1 View Post
A number of fantastic options.

Lynx Hilo - great converters and amazing routing control from the touch screen. Also set the converter levels from touchscreen. Don’t have to open the box and twist jumpers.

Apogee new Symphony MkII 2x6 mastering - tremendous converters.

Antelope Pure 2 - tremendous converters. New Amari looks cool too.

Used Cranesong HEDD 192 - even with the new Quantum, the old HEDD is still amazing at every level, and you get the DSP.

Prism Lyra 2 - great converters

RME ADI2 Pro - great converters

A lot of options. None better than the other, just different.
Antelope Pure 2 is +20dbu .
Cranesong HEDD 192 is very nice but I need to soft limit .
Old 6th May 2019
  #17
Gear Addict
 
toofanstudio's Avatar
 

Verified Member
Guy I have a question about :
https://mytekdigital.com/professiona...specifications
Analog Inputs
+4dBm balanced or unbalanced, 10kOhm
+dbm balance in 10 kohm = ???? dbu ?
If it can support +24dbu or +26 dbu I bye it .
Old 6th May 2019
  #18
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofanstudio View Post
Guy I have a question about :
https://mytekdigital.com/professiona...specifications
Analog Inputs
+4dBm balanced or unbalanced, 10kOhm
+dbm balance in 10 kohm = ???? dbu ?
If it can support +24dbu or +26 dbu I bye it .

I haven't used ADC96, but ADC192 in some comparison years ago.. which has bit easier calibration setup than ADC96, because knob/trim selectors and trimpots are accessible from front panel without need to open up the unit and make adjustments there.

Either front panel knob or internal trimpots could be used for input level calibration.. They reference it to headroom above +4dBm* (0 at classic VU).
Range of the headroom is from 14 to 20 dB. So with maximum headroom set, the clipping point (0dBFS) will be at +24, as you've asked for.

If you want to verify that, you can ask Mytek support directly via their support page.

Michal

* that dBm unit is not much used nowadays and says power level relative to 1 mW into 600 ohm load, this was used for very old analog audio systems with impedance matching.
Old 6th May 2019
  #19
Lives for gear
 
Slug1's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by toofanstudio View Post
Antelope Pure 2 is +20dbu .
Cranesong HEDD 192 is very nice but I need to soft limit .

Most converters are factory calibrated to a specific level, but can be changed usually with internal jumpers. Pure2 is factory calibrated to +20dbu. It can be adjusted to full +26dbu using the internal jumpers. So you can absolutely increase its calibration to +24dbu if that's what you need.

If you're looking for something with an internal soft limiter, the choices go down a bit. Prism has the Overkillers, which are fine for a bd or so. Anymore then that and things change. Apogee also has a soft limiter, but again, probably good a db or two.
Old 6th May 2019
  #20
Gear Addict
 
toofanstudio's Avatar
 

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmucr View Post
I haven't used ADC96, but ADC192 in some comparison years ago.. which has bit easier calibration setup than ADC96, because knob/trim selectors and trimpots are accessible from front panel without need to open up the unit and make adjustments there.

Either front panel knob or internal trimpots could be used for input level calibration.. They reference it to headroom above +4dBm* (0 at classic VU).
Range of the headroom is from 14 to 20 dB. So with maximum headroom set, the clipping point (0dBFS) will be at +24, as you've asked for.

If you want to verify that, you can ask Mytek support directly via their support page.

Michal

* that dBm unit is not much used nowadays and says power level relative to 1 mW into 600 ohm load, this was used for very old analog audio systems with impedance matching.
I send email to the support of Mytek l am waiting for answer.
I send email to dangerous and Bettermaker company but both of them has a lower dbu +21 - +18 ???
Dangerous say my clip guard it is not limiter , ?? . Just commercial and at the end output is weak.
Old 6th May 2019
  #21
Gear Addict
 
toofanstudio's Avatar
 

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slug1 View Post
Most converters are factory calibrated to a specific level, but can be changed usually with internal jumpers. Pure2 is factory calibrated to +20dbu. It can be adjusted to full +26dbu using the internal jumpers. So you can absolutely increase its calibration to +24dbu if that's what you need.

If you're looking for something with an internal soft limiter, the choices go down a bit. Prism has the Overkillers, which are fine for a bd or so. Anymore then that and things change. Apogee also has a soft limiter, but again, probably good a db or two.
——————————————————————
I need to AD converter ( +26 dbu = 0 dbfs )
——————————————————————
If it’s possible, just soft limiter .

My SSL AWS mixer is + 26 dbu
My DRAWMER S3 multiband is + 30 dbu
So I need to use not all but +25,9 dbu .
Old 6th May 2019
  #22
Gear Addict
 
toofanstudio's Avatar
 

Verified Member
Cranesong quantum, dbu is +26.5 dbu .
Nice
Old 6th May 2019
  #23
Gear Addict
 
toofanstudio's Avatar
 

Verified Member
Cranesong quantum, dbu is +26.5 dbu .
Nice
Lynx hillo / antelope orion 32 hd gen 3 are +24 dbu .
Dangerous / prism sound / mytek / Bettermaker/ and more .... are very lower number like 23/21/18
Benchmarkmedia has a ADC product with higher number but no we can’t see
Do you know other product ?!
Old 6th May 2019
  #24
Lives for gear
 
Slug1's Avatar
HEDD ships from the factory at +20 at the analog inputs, but can be changed to +26.5 with internal jumpers. This is also the case for Pure2, which goes to +26. Someone also mentioned Forsell MADA2. They are among the best and go for $2800 used. You can send it back to the factory to have the calibrations raised to where you want it. SO many choices!! At some point you’re gonna have to get one or two in your studio and give it a test run.
Old 6th May 2019
  #25
Lives for gear
 
macc's Avatar
 

Verified Member
I'm just curious.... why do you want to run at such high levels?

I'm running at (IIRC) +14dBu for 0dBFS. Cool as a cucumber.
Old 7th May 2019
  #26
Gear Addict
 
toofanstudio's Avatar
 

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by macc View Post
I'm just curious.... why do you want to run at such high levels?

I'm running at (IIRC) +14dBu for 0dBFS. Cool as a cucumber.
Because my SSL AWS mixer has a good color in high volume , and my mastering compressor , too .
my analog gear like Ferari car and normal cheep china machine .
when your drive is cheep , in ( 200 speed ) you have a many problem , but in Ferari in ( 200 speed ) you can driving very relax .
My +24 or +26 dbu is like Ferari 200 km speed .
Old 7th May 2019
  #27
Gear Addict
 
toofanstudio's Avatar
 

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slug1 View Post
HEDD ships from the factory at +20 at the analog inputs, but can be changed to +26.5 with internal jumpers. This is also the case for Pure2, which goes to +26. Someone also mentioned Forsell MADA2. They are among the best and go for $2800 used. You can send it back to the factory to have the calibrations raised to where you want it. SO many choices!! At some point you’re gonna have to get one or two in your studio and give it a test run.
Antelope Pure 2 input analog level is +20 dbu , and it just output level can be change to +26 dbu .
but I need to maximum input level to +26 dbu . and in output I don't need to big number . because after analog input with +26 dbu , wave convert to Digital and dbfs . and after that I send to my SSL ALPHA LINK AES input with dbfs without any dbu problem .
so I need to Maximum input level in analog . +26 dbu .

But in HEDD quantum :
Analog Input: Transformerless balanced floating stereo output on XLR-m connectors. The default calibration is +20 dBu = Digital zero. Gain adjust trims are on the back panel. The analog input range for 0 dbfs is adjustable form +16 to +26 dBu

So, My theory is true or false ?
Old 8th May 2019
  #28
Lives for gear
 
Slug1's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by toofanstudio View Post
Antelope Pure 2 input analog level is +20 dbu , and it just output level can be change to +26 dbu .
but I need to maximum input level to +26 dbu . and in output I don't need to big number . because after analog input with +26 dbu , wave convert to Digital and dbfs . and after that I send to my SSL ALPHA LINK AES input with dbfs without any dbu problem .
so I need to Maximum input level in analog . +26 dbu .

But in HEDD quantum :
Analog Input: Transformerless balanced floating stereo output on XLR-m connectors. The default calibration is +20 dBu = Digital zero. Gain adjust trims are on the back panel. The analog input range for 0 dbfs is adjustable form +16 to +26 dBu

So, My theory is true or false ?

Got it. That's a hot level for sure. HEDD is great option for you to adjust analog input (AD converter). I pull from an analog chain, but its calibrated at -14dbfs = 0VU, so 18db of headroom.

Seems like the main characteristic that you are looking for is an AD that can take such a hot level. So another consideration, and I know you said you didn't want individual DA and AD, would be to look at the API A2D. Its a stereo mic pre/AD. You can control the input level with pots so you can input a really hot signal but control it with a trim knob. But what's even better is that you can control the level of the digital signal so that you can feed the DAW a conservative level, even though the analog input is hot. Its really really sweet. And it has API opamps, and you can always audition other opamps like the Scott Liebers. Its a great and under appreciated AD converter. Another option that will take a hot analog signal is the JCF AD8. Its quite expensive though. Good luck hunting for your kit.
Old 10th May 2019
  #29
Gear Addict
 
toofanstudio's Avatar
 

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slug1 View Post
Got it. That's a hot level for sure. HEDD is great option for you to adjust analog input (AD converter). I pull from an analog chain, but its calibrated at -14dbfs = 0VU, so 18db of headroom.

Seems like the main characteristic that you are looking for is an AD that can take such a hot level. So another consideration, and I know you said you didn't want individual DA and AD, would be to look at the API A2D. Its a stereo mic pre/AD. You can control the input level with pots so you can input a really hot signal but control it with a trim knob. But what's even better is that you can control the level of the digital signal so that you can feed the DAW a conservative level, even though the analog input is hot. Its really really sweet. And it has API opamps, and you can always audition other opamps like the Scott Liebers. Its a great and under appreciated AD converter. Another option that will take a hot analog signal is the JCF AD8. Its quite expensive though. Good luck hunting for your kit.
Thanks for good info .
APİ A2D is mic and instrument line in. It is not recommended for master AD.
JFC converter transformer is Cinemag ? and it’s not my ideal quality sound .
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
drockfresh / Electronic Music Instruments and Electronic Music Production
1
kojak / So Much Gear, So Little Time
1
Mr. Brokenamp / High End
22
Unknown soldier / So Much Gear, So Little Time
9

Forum Jump
Forum Jump