The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Power Amps - Age Related Question
Old 5th April 2019
Power Amps - Age Related Question

I thought I would try this out in the mastering section since many of you full time ME's have invested considerable scratch on outstanding amp and speaker systems. I'm considering a set of Monoblock amps for my mains. I'm leaning toward the used market for financial reasons. For instance there is a very positively reviewed amp that was $4000 for the pair new, and are now well under half the price. They were used in an audiophile home stereo setup. They are between 3 to 4 years old. At what point do you consider your amps old, or getting up there in age? I'm thinking 3 to 4 years old is not really that old, but perhaps I'm wrong about this. Also, would you purchase amps via Ebay? I haven't purchased audio gear from ebay in ages.

Thanks, Mike
Old 5th April 2019
Lives for gear

I think 3 to 4 years is very young for any high end piece of gear. As long as they've been well taken care of I'd expect them to sound like new and last many more years. I bought my Bryston 4B 20 years ago and it was used when I bought it. Still works great.

I've bought power amps and other gear on eBay with good results. You just have to be careful. Check the seller's feedback and ask them some questions before you buy.
Old 5th April 2019
Gear Maniac

Mike, ask the seller why he’she is selling them. Look for reasonable answer.
3-4 years does not look scaring, yet ask about:
- temperature conditions amps were used,
- how they were used (some do not turn amps off),
- were they overhated?
etc., as temp is the biggest killer and may shorten any device life.

Art
Old 5th April 2019
Lives for gear

4 years in amps is basically new.

no problems there.

Buddha
Old 5th April 2019
Gear Guru

Verified Member
My Bryston 4BST and Bryston 3B are both over 20 years old and still going strong. Bryston has a 20+ year warranty on their amps so....
Old 5th April 2019
Big thanks for all the feedback...and excellent advice!
Old 6th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by engmix View Post
At what point do you consider your amps old, or getting up there in age? I'm thinking 3 to 4 years...
Add a zero to that before an amp can be called 'old'!

Some studios are still using the classic Quad 405 for monitoring/mastering many of which would be pushing 30-40 years old by now, although to be fair they may have been serviced in that time (which Quad still do, I believe).
Old 7th April 2019
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Lehmann View Post
Some studios are still using the classic Quad 405 for monitoring/mastering many of which would be pushing 30-40 years old by now, although to be fair they may have been serviced in that time (which Quad still do, I believe).
I have a couple of 405's. The oldest needed a couple of capacitors replacing when it was about 25 years old and then started to become noisy at around 35 years old while the newer one was working fine but the transformer gradually started humming after about 25 years. I ended up making one good one out of the two and putting some Hypex modules in the spare case.
Old 30th April 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesp View Post
I have a couple of 405's. The oldest needed a couple of capacitors replacing when it was about 25 years old and then started to become noisy at around 35 years old while the newer one was working fine but the transformer gradually started humming after about 25 years. I ended up making one good one out of the two and putting some Hypex modules in the spare case.
I ended up staying with my 15 year old ROTEL 1080.
Old 30th April 2019
One of my Adcom 545's was bought in 1987. I've not found a better amp to replace it.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search