The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
NSEQ2 Vs Sontec Clone
Old 27th March 2019
  #1
Here for the gear
 

NSEQ2 Vs Sontec Clone

Hello guys!

I am new posting in this site, although I have been following it for a couple of years now.

I am writting to get help about a purchase I want to do in my personal studio. I have a friend who is offering me a Sontec 250 Clone with IC OpAmps and stepped knobs. I heard the eq and sounds great! although it doesn´t have the real Sontec OpAmps.

On the other hand, for a little bit more money I can get a Millenia NSEQ-2 (without FF mod)

My main activity is Music Production and Mixing. I occasionally do Mastering, with I think the sontec it´s great the option because of the Stepped Knobs.

Sontec 250 Stepped Clone is us2300
Millenia NSEQ-2 (without FFmods) us3000

What would you do?

Thanks!
Old 27th March 2019
  #2
Lives for gear
 
thermos's Avatar
I’d do a Sontec clone before an un-modified nseq personally. If it had the forssell mod, that would be another story.
Old 27th March 2019
  #3
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos View Post
I’d do a Sontec clone before an un-modified nseq personally. If it had the forssell mod, that would be another story.
Thanks for the input! Too much difference?

As far as I know this Millennia has the mastering upgrades. Stepped Knobs, balanced in/out, but not the FF mods.

I always liked the sontec/gml sound. How is it compared to the NSEQ2?

Cheers!
Old 27th March 2019
  #4
Lives for gear
 
thermos's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by maostudios View Post
Thanks for the input! Too much difference?

As far as I know this Millennia has the mastering upgrades. Stepped Knobs, balanced in/out, but not the FF mods.

I always liked the sontec/gml sound. How is it compared to the NSEQ2?

Cheers!
I had an NSEQ and didn't care for it. I've heard the Forssell one and its really great, they are very different.

Honestly in that price bracket I'd check out the HCL Thermos. Probably better than both.
Old 7th April 2019
  #5
If that Sontec clone is the HDE250 from Custom Audio Germany I wouldn’t hesitate....

I LOVE IT and I use it all the time, l work in a huge variety of genres, and this eq works perfect no matter what you throw in, the low and hi shelves are magic, clean with balls, working in M/S mode is great, and you can ask for custom switchable transformers to make it even more versatile (I have a custom switchable Lundhal and Carnhills in the I/O and makes them an even more unique Eq).

Its a fact that a big part of the magic from the Sontecs are their HS-1000/2000 Opamps... but its also a fact that Steffen eq its not really a Sontec clone anymore, after many revisions I can stand that CAG HDE250 its an eq with an improved personality, for me even more useful, versatile (and stable) than the holy grail of eq’s... my 2 cents
Old 10th April 2019
  #6
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mootiv View Post
If that Sontec clone is the HDE250 from Custom Audio Germany I wouldn’t hesitate....

I LOVE IT and I use it all the time, l work in a huge variety of genres, and this eq works perfect no matter what you throw in, the low and hi shelves are magic, clean with balls, working in M/S mode is great, and you can ask for custom switchable transformers to make it even more versatile (I have a custom switchable Lundhal and Carnhills in the I/O and makes them an even more unique Eq).

Its a fact that a big part of the magic from the Sontecs are their HS-1000/2000 Opamps... but its also a fact that Steffen eq its not really a Sontec clone anymore, after many revisions I can stand that CAG HDE250 its an eq with an improved personality, for me even more useful, versatile (and stable) than the holy grail of eq’s... my 2 cents
Also have the hde250 and agree with it. Its just fantastic
Old 14th April 2019
  #7
I got the combo HDE250 and the NSEQ2 FF this thing sounds amazing
get a freaking Plug in sucker
Old 14th April 2019
  #8
Here for the gear
 
Sjiens's Avatar
+ 1 happy customaudiogermany HDE 250 user here , never heard/tried the NSEQ

just note the HDE250 normally has no stepped pots/switches if you need/want them....also there's 2 versions with iic 12db or 6db range.
Old 15th April 2019
  #9
Gear Addict
 
Overdrive's Avatar
 

I would vouch for the Millennia NSEQ2. I have it since day one and it proved a solid performer. The only "upgrade" to my unit was replacing the stock Sovtek tubes with NOS smooth plate Telefunkens.
Best sounding eq imho
Old 17th April 2019
  #10
Lives for gear
 
Jerry Tubb's Avatar
 

Verified Member
yep, i’d go for the Sontec clone over a stock NSEQ2.

I use a real Sontec ~and~ a NSEQ-FF daily, in tandem,

and they’re both great

cheers, jt
Old 20th April 2019
  #11
Gear Maniac
 
angel72bg's Avatar
I have NSEQ 4 it is equal to FF mod or even better.
I have also BAX EQ,Avalon 747,Bettermaker,AML MEQ 5.Silver Bullet,Maselec MLA 4 multiband ,and NSEQ 4 outperform them.Really.Take one at home listen and then decide.NSEQ 4 is 4000 $.
Old 15th May 2019
  #12
Gear Addict
 
biksonije's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mootiv View Post
If that Sontec clone is the HDE250 from Custom Audio Germany I wouldn’t hesitate....

I LOVE IT and I use it all the time, l work in a huge variety of genres, and this eq works perfect no matter what you throw in, the low and hi shelves are magic, clean with balls, working in M/S mode is great, and you can ask for custom switchable transformers to make it even more versatile (I have a custom switchable Lundhal and Carnhills in the I/O and makes them an even more unique Eq).

Its a fact that a big part of the magic from the Sontecs are their HS-1000/2000 Opamps... but its also a fact that Steffen eq its not really a Sontec clone anymore, after many revisions I can stand that CAG HDE250 its an eq with an improved personality, for me even more useful, versatile (and stable) than the holy grail of eq’s... my 2 cents
+1 here for Steffen's EQ! A beautiful piece of gear! I have one, 12dB non-stepped controls, m/s matrix only and it's woth evey cent of it's 2000 EUR worth!!!

If you can, go get CAG HDE-250A and you won't be sorry and I'm pretty sure it will last you a lifetime!

Krešo
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
anguswoodhead / Geekslutz Forum
1
Weiss / Mastering Forum
20
leitrim_lad / So Much Gear, So Little Time
17
DBarbarulo / Mastering Forum
1
MasterPitt / Mastering Forum
5

Forum Jump
Forum Jump