The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
How much top end do you often add?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Polich View Post
I’d say your Focusrites are a little old. I havent had any experience with their latest Scarlett
line, but I would guess the sound of those
is tighter, brighter, more defined.
Nothing between the two would indicate this, at least comparing their specs on paper.

The Scarlett--the 18i20 for example--is technically a little quieter, with a lower noise floor and slightly better THD than the Saffire Pro40. Other than that, their specs are pretty much the same. Insignificant differences.

If I were to bet dollars to donuts, I bet the internals of the Scarletts are almost identical to their Saffire equivalents except for the interface to the computer. If Focusrite completely redesigned the entire schematic and board layout, and waste a lot of R&D money in the process, because the Saffire range was lacking something, had crap converters, or was merely old, then they would have come out and said that as opposed to identifying the main difference is the [more future-proof] USB connection. After all, it certainly would up-sell more Scarletts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tymish View Post
Speaker stand came in and over the weekend I installed them. Moved the monitors a bit further away and got rid of the early reflections from the furniture desk surface. Big improvement. I now actually have a pretty big sweet spot and the highs don't change much at all when I move around. So now I'm getting reacquainted with my monitoring. Going to remix a tune and see what comes up. I'm am still hearing some 'dullness' in the top so far. But at least I have a better reference now. I also notice if I listen to older recordings my top end seems more in line. Much of the reference material i was using was the last decade.
Glad to hear it! If you feel like wasting a lot of time and getting more frustrated, then look into REW (RoomEQ wizard). But I think you want to get some work done, so just don't go there...yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scraggs View Post
Again, if you wanna send me a mix I'm happy to check it out and give you an opinion/advice.
Just do it, Tymish!

Seriously though...report back to what you've done and/or improved.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

great thread! I have a quick related question....and this is in regards to house and techno mastering.

I've noticed with master bus compression, a lot of brighter higher range material tends to get pulled up and thus the track made to "sound" louder. Is this a normal thing to expect and thus at the mixing stage you wan to compensate for this? I know if sounds kinda ridiculous but I don't have a lot of experience with professional mastering and I'm wondering how flat I should be mixing in preparation for mastering
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by XiviX View Post
great thread! I have a quick related question....and this is in regards to house and techno mastering.

I've noticed with master bus compression, a lot of brighter higher range material tends to get pulled up and thus the track made to "sound" louder. Is this a normal thing to expect and thus at the mixing stage you wan to compensate for this? I know if sounds kinda ridiculous but I don't have a lot of experience with professional mastering and I'm wondering how flat I should be mixing in preparation for mastering
The main thing is to make it sound as good to you as you can get it in your space, and don't worry about second-guessing what might happen in mastering.

If in doubt, ask for mix comments from your ME and adjust if and where necessary.

Last edited by lowland; 3 weeks ago at 09:42 PM..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search