The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Considering pro mastering...
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Considering pro mastering...

I have done my mastering with Ozone and it sounds better than LANDR. I want to try professional mastering but don't know where to start? Who is go to and what should I avoid.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

There's a few ways you can approach it.

One is to look at who mastered some albums you like the sound of and if the same name pops up a few times get in touch with them.

Another, if you are looking to connect with a ME from this forum, is to have a look around here and see if there's someone whose posts you relate to. You might get a sense of someone working in a way that would be a good fit with what you are looking for.

I'm sure many of us are happy to have a chat with you about what you're looking for or even provide a sample with some of your work.

Getting some recommendations from other musos or engineers about mastering services they have been happy with is also something to think about.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastcall View Post
I want to try professional mastering but don't know where to start? Who is go to and what should I avoid.
The first thing to decide is if you wish to attend the mastering session yourself.

Then your search radius starts from your own physical location.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Most of the ME’s on this forum are very professional and very reputable. You could try to contact a few of them.

Most will at least review your material and give you feedback.

When I do this I alway try applying the mastering chain. I usually send back a partial master for review so that the potential client can hear what can be done with their particular song or project. Many on this forum do the same.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastcall View Post
what should I avoid.
This should probably be the topic of a sticky.

Avoid MEs who make claims like "Grammy winning" or "Thousands of albums mastered" but don't list their credits. Check their actual credits on discogs.com and allmusic.com (imperfect but you can get a sense).

Avoid MEs who don't list their gear or don't have believable pictures showing a legit studio. They might be using a laptop and earbuds!

I recently had a client who wasted hundreds on a complete charlatan who claimed Grammys etc., but had only 5 credits online and no gear list or pics. It was truly the worst mastering I can recall ever hearing. I see this guy promoting himself heavily online with false claims. I hate that "MEs" like him take advantage of artists and give us all a bad name.

[Edit: I started a thread about this in the "Where To" sub-forum. Hopefully it prevents someone from getting taken.]

Last edited by Trakworx; 3 weeks ago at 06:22 PM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trakworx View Post
don't have believable pictures showing a legit studio.
This is my main one. When I see lots of close up pics of a Sterling modular filled with $$$ gear and no pics of the actual room I always wonder.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by scraggs View Post
This is my main one. When I see lots of close up pics of a Sterling modular filled with $$$ gear and no pics of the actual room I always wonder.
Also watch out for stolen pics of other people's rooms or gear!

It happens a lot...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search