The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Bowers & Wilkins 802 s3 Matrix HELP PLEASE
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Bowers & Wilkins 802 s3 Matrix HELP PLEASE

I’m considering getting a used pair of Bowers & Wilkins 802 s3 Matrix for mastering work as I might get a really interesting deal on them.

I have a near to zero experience with passive speakers apart from NS10s.
I’ve always used active, hence the post.

- What amplifier would you suggest for them?
For now I would like to buy something that is good enough, I might invest in something better later on.
An amp that wouldn’t make using these speakers meaningless, but not more then 700 - 1000 Euros used, and possibly less, if something like that even exist? How much power do I need minimum?
Are Nad 216 THX decent enough for the task for example?

- My second question would be, as these speakers are not full range, what sub would be acceptable to use with these guys? How much power do I need? Again it is something I might upgrade in the future so the more budget friendly suggestion, the better….

It obviously would be ideal to get the best of everything right away but my budget doesn’t agree and these speakers might not be on sale for much longer.

Many many thanks for your help I really appreciate any suggestion.
(PS my room is super treated, sounds fantastic with the speakers I got, it’s around 25 square meters)

Regards
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioloud View Post
- What amplifier would you suggest for them?

- My second question would be, as these speakers are not full range, what sub would be acceptable to use with these guys?
If I were you I'd grab them. I have a pair of Matrix 802 S2 and they are a treat to work with. They are full range by the way, useful down to 23Hz when I combine them with the B&W resonant high pass filter

https://kenrockwell.com/audio/b-w/80...ent-filter.htm.

I'm using them with a Hypex UcD400 Dual 400W Classs D Amplifier and couldn't be happier. Hypex has a variety of affordable yet high performance options available.

Enjoy!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trakworx View Post
If I were you I'd grab them. I have a pair of Matrix 802 S2 and they are a treat to work with. They are full range by the way, useful down to 23Hz when I combine them with the B&W resonant high pass filter

I'm using them with a Hypex UcD400 Dual 400W Classs D Amplifier and couldn't be happier. Hypex has a variety of affordable yet high performance options available.

Enjoy!
Hi there Trakworx I really appreciate your reply!
From the info I found online I see they go to 42Hz... Maybe the S2 are a bit different?
I also didn't know about the resonant high pass filter, I will look into that surely.
Cheers!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Bowers & Wilkins matrix 802 s3 specs - Google Search

Click the pdf owner's manual - it says 25Hz in "the enclosure" section...
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioloud View Post
Hi there Trakworx I really appreciate your reply!
From the info I found online I see they go to 42Hz... Maybe the S2 are a bit different?
I also didn't know about the resonant high pass filter, I will look into that surely.
Cheers!
Hi Audioloud,

I have a pair of the Matrix 802 S3 and they can go down to 27 Hz (-3 dB), but you need the extra filter for that kind of response.

Here is a bit of info about the filter, though my Bass Alignment Filter is a little different.
https://kenrockwell.com/audio/b-w/80...ent-filter.htm

I also, use Sonarworks to enhance my low-end and can tell you that I can hear down to 22 Hz (-3 dB) when I did my Sinus sweeps.

The Matrix Series 3's are supposedly the "best" models from the Matrix series since they had a more simplified cross over design.
I love my pair and really enjoy the ability to hear my low-end so clearly and accurately.

In my wife's countryside home, I have a pair of DM 610 that I used to use with a subwoofer and the Matrix Series 3 with filter go deeper than that 2.1 ever could and is way more on point.

Though, fair warning the filter is a bit difficult to find and the used one I ordered online had to get service by a technician. YMMV
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trakworx View Post

Enjoy!
Did you DIY these yourself?

And if yes, which modules did you exactly use?

I want to buy a better amp for my speakers.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mista min View Post
Did you DIY these yourself?

And if yes, which modules did you exactly use?

I want to buy a better amp for my speakers.
I bought my Hypex already-built on eBay.

hypex amplifier | eBay
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Just a note that the kits from Hypex are very easy to assemble, if I can do it anyone can. They sound amazing, couldn't be happier with 'em.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Thank you all for your help, I truly appreciate it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search