The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mastering focused controllers for plugins Equalizer Plugins
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Mastering focused controllers for plugins

I just clocked the Hickory and Dickory controllers for Fabfilter Pro Q, C & L:

Hickory – OhMy! Bytes

They’ve completed a first batch of 100, and I am a DMG user not Fabfilter, but I love the concept. Anyone tried these?

I would dearly love to have more tactile control over those first fast “get it in the ballpark” mastering moves as I find they are often the most important to lay down when perspective on a track is freshest. Not using a mouse for this step would be great.

I’ve considered a nOb, but using a single left hand seems clunky and I would rather be able to adjust using both hands simultaneously away from the mouse.

I am considering a 22” touchscreen which could be a great way to use Equilibrium in fullscreen mode, but as I am on OSX, I would need to buy a 3rd party multitouch driver such as Touch-Base UPDD.

What other options for hands on control are out there currently? Ableton controllers and performance controllers are 10 a penny, but finding something flexible and that plays nicely with recallability/switching instance focus etc., is proving harder to find.

Cheers

Conundra

Last edited by Conundra; 1 week ago at 12:40 PM.. Reason: Typo
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Oof! shooting them an email about DMG now, get me in on that!
Old 1 week ago
Mastering Moderator

Verified Member
Looks very interesting. Hope those encoders are rated for avery long life!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
As I understand they use no encoders but standard potis. Wonder how impossible recall then is...?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP__ View Post
As I understand they use no encoders but standard potis. Wonder how impossible recall then is...?
Fair point, not something I'd considered

That said you still have a mouse right?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_caithness View Post
Fair point, not something I'd considered

That said you still have a mouse right?
To me one important fact to use a digital EQ IS easy recall, so this would be an very important point to me.
I thought about DIY-building such a controller years ago too, but I just change my digi tools like underwear to worth that hassle thought...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
To me one important fact to use a digital EQ IS easy recall, so this would be an very important point to me.
I thought about DIY-building such a controller years ago too, but I just change my digi tools like underwear to worth that hassle thought...
What I mean is, it would recall to the courseness of the controls within the plugin wouldn't it? but you'd have to replicate it again by hand if you wanted to change by hand, but you could control via mouse or writing in a change of like "+1dB gain" or whatever a standard adjustment is based on client feedback.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_caithness View Post
What I mean is, it would recall to the courseness of the controls within the plugin wouldn't it? but you'd have to replicate it again by hand if you wanted to change by hand, but you could control via mouse or writing in a change of like "+1dB gain" or whatever a standard adjustment is based on client feedback.
Yes, I think this would be one possible workaround. But if I would really aim for such a controller for my go to plug in EQ I would prefer to use it like a "real thing" very much, hand on real controls with good tactile feel, no steps and with no need to use my eyes starring on a TFT. But if a dedicated box still leads to work such annoying compromises I just would stick with my trusty mouse, thought.

So, for me this needs a dedicated box which interacts in both directions with the EQ. Eiosis planned such a thing for their Air EQ years ago, but it never make it to the market afaik. That thing was a dream to me back then, but now Im happy to not own it as it would stick me to that EQ...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Yes, I think this would be one possible workaround. But if I would really aim for such a controller for my go to plug in EQ I would prefer to use it like a "real thing" very much, hand on real controls with good tactile feel, no steps and with no need to use my eyes starring on a TFT. But if a dedicated box still leads to work such annoying compromises I just would stick with my trusty mouse, thought.

So, for me this needs a dedicated box which interacts in both directions with the EQ. Eiosis planned such a thing for their Air EQ years ago, but it never make it to the market afaik. That thing was a dream to me back then, but now Im happy to not own it as it would stick me to that EQ...
Defo a cooler all in one device, I'm still pretty stoked I can grab one of these for around 250 bucks!

Gonna need that computer screen on which ever way I look at it, beats dragging mouse around, which is also good for posture
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
A non proprietry device utilising motorised pots via OSC is what’s needed, much like the Eiosis AirEQ hardware controller prototype that likely will never see the light of day. OSC allows the software to communicate with the controller, so could move all the encoders to the correct position on recall. I would pay very good money for such a device.

The Softube Console 1 is an excellent solution for mixing, but it only works with select UAD and Softube plugins unfortunately.

We need a mastering version where the user can program and map any plugin or perhaps better still, select parameters within a plugin chain.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

me love this thing! me buy! me smash!

If it works well it's great, I usually have one Fab EQ instance on almost every channel
We will wait for those 100 users to have problems or not and then get it!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

nOb is it for me. I use an apple magic trackpad, and the knob is right above it, so I actually do all my nObing with my right hand. so i'm using the mouse, but never to click and drag, which for me is the annoying part. just gliding fingers towards pertinent parameters and then grabbing the knob.

what i wonder about a controller like the hickory with small pots is how coarse the jumps in value will be, considering how much boost/cut a digi eq has. the recallability thing is curious too... obviously your DAW recalls the plug, but it would be nice to see the same visual layout as you had before on the controller. I think they should have used endless encoders with an LED collar, but that's just me. I'd also prefer stepped encoders if it is to truly emulate the hardware mastering experience-- I find rotary switches and their absolute value and the ease with which I can audition many different settings to be a huge part of that.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogoftears View Post
nOb is it for me. I use an apple magic trackpad, and the knob is right above it, so I actually do all my nObing with my right hand. so i'm using the mouse, but never to click and drag, which for me is the annoying part. just gliding fingers towards pertinent parameters and then grabbing the knob.

what i wonder about a controller like the hickory with small pots is how coarse the jumps in value will be, considering how much boost/cut a digi eq has. the recallability thing is curious too... obviously your DAW recalls the plug, but it would be nice to see the same visual layout as you had before on the controller. I think they should have used endless encoders with an LED collar, but that's just me. I'd also prefer stepped encoders if it is to truly emulate the hardware mastering experience-- I find rotary switches and their absolute value and the ease with which I can audition many different settings to be a huge part of that.
realearn can be configured so that a controller can affect any range of the parameter you are controlling

I use a simple (10 years old) midi controller and have configured it so for instance my EQ has +-3dB of gain ...so even if 127 steps seems limiting it is actually more than enough "resolution" when you restrict the range of the parameters

this controller seems lovely and the price is not a lot more than what you would have to pay if you designed and built your own with arduino

it s a great idea
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I also restrict control ranges using Ableton's macro mapping, so yes, definitely a non issue for some of us
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

So, with the pots being momentary-push and able to control 2 parameters each, that implies they're doing some kind of soft-takeover.

Recall won't be an issue unless they're really really bad at design. Turn the physical knob right, the control in the plugin moves right. Period. You lose some detail working that way until the physical and computer controls are back in sync. But, it's not that big of a deal.

Personally...I'd prefer continuous controlls. The knobs they've chosen imply that's not how it's set up. But, it could just be an aesthetic thing.

I'm not sure if it's worth the money without a good return policy to try it out compared to using a n0b or the mouse. But, I like the idea a lot.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
There is more detailed info on how they work on the FAQ of their page:

F.A.Q. – OhMy! Bytes

Their last update says they are working on OSC support for the firmware too, which is very promising!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search