The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
DMG Multiplicity - This Looks Interesting! Dynamics Plugins
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

DMG Multiplicity - This Looks Interesting!

DMG Audio : Products : Multiplicity

Looks like perhaps the dream multiband tool I've been waiting for...

Anyone beta-tested this or have any experiences to share?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I beta tested it. During that time I didn’t have a ton of need for multiband (I never do really), but I could tell from my usage that it’s definitely definitely the best multiband compressor I’ve heard. I mean so much better. It can do SO many things, there hasn’t really been a plug-in that’s comparable. It’s like the equilibrium of multiband.

So overall, I think this is a classic like equilibrium/essence.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Gotta demo this ASAP. Looks like it has every feature I've been wishing for plus a bunch of features that I never imagined!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

it looks very interesting, and complicated. could be a great tool to prep/correct stuff before hitting the analog chain. curious, definitely gonna demo it, but a tool like that looks like it will take some time to really wrap my head around.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I was also on the beta and I highly recommend reading the manual as it is very clear and concise.

I've never been a fan of multiband compression, preferring dynamic EQ and single split bands of compression in DMG's Compassion or Essence to target issues. This plugin allows me to keep that approach, but within a single instance and with all the added flexibility of having bands that can see and interact with one another if desired.

Of course, you can go totally nuts with all 8 bands too and configure or load up a familiar multiband setup
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

I think it deserves a separated thread
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

could only give it a short test so far, but the amount of dynamics & transparency you can achieve is crazy. really good how 3d AND alive you can make everything with it.

(only the loud noises when switching presets are tuff, but i guess that's because such a lot is going on dynamic wise per preset (?) )
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Was on the beta (mini-life goal achieved: get presets in a DMG plugin).

I never thought I'd stop using Essence. I've stopped using Essence, because this is 8 Essences on steroids. Phenomenal, flexible, top-level sound quality.

I've used it for so many bonkers tasks already I've forgotten. But with practice you can do almost anything you can think of. I've de-reverbed a trombone while simultaneously bringing it closer to the listener / warmer / fuller in a full mix with practically no discernable byproducts. You can turn individual parts of a mix up or down. I don't have time to write all the things you can get this to do. But it can do the lot.

Get ready to lose a lot of time while you adapt. But you'll be glad you did. Nothing else like it. Far and away the best, most useful plugin I've ever used.

Last edited by macc; 1 week ago at 10:27 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

This looks really cool... Going to download the demo in the very near future!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I’m with Macc on this, though I will still find uses for Essence and Compassion as they offer unique advanced features such as negative ratios, ceiling shapes, configurable hold and smoothing amongst other things.

Multiplicity has saved the day on a couple of releases already this past week. It’s going to take months (or years?) to fully learn this thing!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Raah that DMG Essence sales invoice in my email aint looking so good all of a sudden...

Maybe?

Realistically if I'm not much of a multiband by default guy, what's actually different in the flow of a session? not sure I can drop 160 bones on more bands of something I've only used 1 band of..
Old 1 week ago
Mastering Moderator

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by macc View Post
Not fair you get to test all the nicest things out there!

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I’m glad to have both I’ll often use Compassion to level uneven low end below 200hz and then add a smidge of punch back with Essence afterwards between 90 and 120hz in expansion mode. Last Friday I did this in Multiplicity on a psytrance master in a single instance and tried it with a dynamic band post crossover performing the task I’d usually use Essence for. The dynamic eq band approach won out in this particular instance and wasn’t something I would have been able to do in Essence obviously

Sometimes though, I really dig in with the negative ratios in Essence and wouldn’t want to be without them!

Last edited by Conundra; 1 week ago at 12:37 PM.. Reason: Typos
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:

I never thought I'd stop using Essence. I've stopped using Essence, because this is 8 Essences on steroids. Phenomenal, flexible, top-level sound quality,

I've used it for so many bonkers tasks already I've forgotten. But with practice you can do almost anything you can think of. I've de-reverbed a trombone while simultaneously bringing it closer to the listener / warmer / fuller in a full mix with practically no discernable byproducts. You can turn individual parts of a mix up or down. I don't have time to write all the things you can get this to do. But it can do the lot.

Get ready to lose a lot of time while you adapt. But you'll be glad you did. Nothing else like it. Far and away the best, most useful plugin I've ever used.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

I downloaded it last night to play with, and my head promptly exploded. I'm a nerdy tech guy and all, but the range of options and choices totally overwhelmed me. I read the manual minutely last night, so I'm going to have another go at it today on a project I'm trying to finish.

It really looks like you can get anything you want out of it. It's amazing!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_caithness View Post
Raah that DMG Essence sales invoice in my email aint looking so good all of a sudden...

Maybe?

Realistically if I'm not much of a multiband by default guy, what's actually different in the flow of a session? not sure I can drop 160 bones on more bands of something I've only used 1 band of..
I think it sounds a tad bit different than Essence. I have come to like Essence a LOT as a Wideband compressor. Probably my fave itb. I don't like multiplicity quite as much in that role for some reason (maybe I just need more time with it), but its a close 2nd.

I just did a master where there was too much 2.4k in the guitar (as always) which I dynamically reduced, and the low end got boomier as the song progressed. So I used the eq part of Multiplicity to bring down the lows in the beginning of the track, and then dynamically adjusted it to kick in with more reduction on the 2nd song. So in this way, its more like a dynamic eq. I'm not a multiband guy either, but I can see this being ridiculously useful if used in conjunction with the eq (which of course sounds great especially for cuts). It's pretty insane.

Plus there are always those home mixed songs that come in that just need multi band. I've downloaded so many multi band comps for scenarios like this, and they never sounded good enough. Finally one does!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riccardo View Post
Not fair you get to test all the nicest things out there!

The benefits of having a big mouth, I suppose.

Although my productivity suffers massively when such things come along...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conundra View Post
negative ratios, ceiling shapes, configurable hold and smoothing amongst other things.
Yep, negative ratios is the biggy for me. There are some Essence presets I have where I just know what it does, as well, though I'm slowly transplanting them across.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_caithness View Post
Simply put, it can do things (eg the entire transient aspect) that Essence can't.

FWIW I'm not much of a multiband by default chap either, but I DO like to be able to touch one thing in a mix and leave other stuff alone.

Also FWIW, I haven't used a single crossover band the whole time I've been using Multiplicity

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos View Post
I think it sounds a tad bit different than Essence. I have come to like Essence a LOT as a Wideband compressor. Probably my fave itb. I don't like multiplicity quite as much in that role for some reason (maybe I just need more time with it), but its a close 2nd.
Yeah man, Essence is a great compressor. I think I prefer Multiplicity though. The upwards ratio below jobby is well tidy!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trakworx View Post
DMG Audio : Products : Multiplicity

Looks like perhaps the dream multiband tool I've been waiting for...

Anyone beta-tested this or have any experiences to share?
Oh my god! How did i not know about this????
I can't wait to try

Oh my god, i just looked - EACH BAND has the 'dual release' type setup found in essence (as well as compressors like Kotelnikov, Weiss etc)
I absolutely love this feature. I have been waiting to find this in a multiband plugin.

Well, actually i must say, Flux have a dual release setup in their multiband monster. Demo'd it recently, its awesome - but DMG sound quality (to me, at least) is as good as it gets in the digital world.
They aren't vibe processors, but in terms of sheer fidelity, they are the best in my book (along with a couple others)

Can't wait!!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Verified Member
Quote:
Yep, negative ratios is the biggy for me. There are some Essence presets I have where I just know what it does, as well, though I'm slowly transplanting them across.

Simply put, it can do things (eg the entire transient aspect) that Essence can't.

FWIW I'm not much of a multiband by default chap either, but I DO like to be able to touch one thing in a mix and leave other stuff alone.

Also FWIW, I haven't used a single crossover band the whole time I've been using Multiplicity

Yeah man, Essence is a great compressor. I think I prefer Multiplicity though. The upwards ratio below jobby is well tidy!
I concur. i am not much of a multiband guy either - don't like having too many crossovers. I see some people using plugin after plugin on their mixbuss, each with crossovers...and my OCD goes wild. All the phase issues!!

That said, i did try DynOne when it came out. Was actually pretty impressed - but it is so heavy on my CPU. It is the one plugin i haven't got purely because of its resource hunger! Going to build a new computer this year, will try it again after.

But then this comes out!! I know the big selling point of DynOne is the crossovers, but i am sure DMG would have done a fantastic job with theirs
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Also FWIW, I haven't used a single crossover band the whole time I've been using Multiplicity :lol
Pretty much the same here. I am fine tuning a couple of presets to recreate some Essence settings and a Compassion preset I rely on, but everything else is dynamic eq bands all the way. Loving it!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Verified Member
Downloaded the demo : very impressive ! ! !

Basically I found Multiplicity very very complicated ... So many parameters to tweak ... The sound of it is so incredible, close to perfection but for the moment I'm a bit disapointed by plethora of parameters. It expects a big knowlegde & a perfect understanding of how Multiplicity works. Very tempted to buy it but that means a lot of pdf reading & many tutorials to watch!!
Don't want to disagree with all the positive comments above. I just can agree with the sound of it: perfect dynamic, speed, & precise as can be Equilibrium. But just a bit frustrating to try one preset after another without perfectly understand what is under the hood in terms of processing.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Carlyon View Post
I concur. i am not much of a multiband guy either - don't like having too many crossovers. I see some people using plugin after plugin on their mixbuss, each with crossovers...and my OCD goes wild. All the phase issues!!

That said, i did try DynOne when it came out. Was actually pretty impressed - but it is so heavy on my CPU. It is the one plugin i haven't got purely because of its resource hunger! Going to build a new computer this year, will try it again after.

But then this comes out!! I know the big selling point of DynOne is the crossovers, but i am sure DMG would have done a fantastic job with theirs
It sounds so much better than Dynone.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
This touches on something I've wondered about for a while which particularly relates to Multiplicity:

Why would you choose crossovers vs dynamic filters?

I'm curious to hear anyone's thoughts about this.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnoldorodeo View Post
Basically I found Multiplicity very very complicated ... So many parameters to tweak ... The sound of it is so incredible, close to perfection but for the moment I'm a bit disapointed by plethora of parameters. It expects a big knowlegde & a perfect understanding of how Multiplicity works.
With the overall tide moving towards 'smart' processing with 'one knob' implementations where decisions are taken away from the engineer, I'm kinda glad that DMG provides an alternative with super deep level of control where the only limitation is the user's skill and imagination.

That said, I won't pretend that I'm not challenged by the level of complexity that tools like this offer.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos View Post
It sounds so much better than Dynone.
Thats awesome. just aout to try it now. I don't doubt it does. Leapwing seem like a company that is doing interesting things - but nothing anywhere near as radical as DMG. The quality of these plugs is unsurpassed. I know dynOne is totally different too, its just that people were raving about it on here saying it was the first time they felt fully comfortable using mutiband/crossovers.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Verified Member
Oh ****!!! this thing is unreal. I haven't gotten out of single band mode yet. This is amazing just as a compressor. Seriously incredible. Well, i don't think i will need to get the Weiss ds mk3 after all! This does everything!!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnoldorodeo View Post
Downloaded the demo : very impressive ! ! !

Basically I found Multiplicity very very complicated ... So many parameters to tweak ... The sound of it is so incredible, close to perfection but for the moment I'm a bit disapointed by plethora of parameters. It expects a big knowlegde & a perfect understanding of how Multiplicity works. Very tempted to buy it but that means a lot of pdf reading & many tutorials to watch!!
Don't want to disagree with all the positive comments above. I just can agree with the sound of it: perfect dynamic, speed, & precise as can be Equilibrium. But just a bit frustrating to try one preset after another without perfectly understand what is under the hood in terms of processing.
Patience, grasshopper
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothTone View Post
This touches on something I've wondered about for a while which particularly relates to Multiplicity:

Why would you choose crossovers vs dynamic filters?

I'm curious to hear anyone's thoughts about this.
Sometimes one might want to build their own MB compressor. There have been times where I've tried lining up two instances of Essence on the screen as closely as I can and flicking between them, visually making a crossover Say for 0-100Hz and 100-200Hz, you could do well with a properly implemented crossover just those two areas and then having all the rest 'normal'.

Or, to take another example from this thread, if you wanted to make your own rip-off of DynOne. Hmm
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sometimes one might want to build their own MB compressor. There have been times where I've tried lining up two instances of Essence on the screen as closely as I can and flicking between them, visually making a crossover Say for 0-100Hz and 100-200Hz, you could do well with a properly implemented crossover just those two areas and then having all the rest 'normal'.

Or, to take another example from this thread, if you wanted to make your own rip-off of DynOne. Hmm
So you'd go for MBC rather than dynamic EQ when you have 2 (or more) bands working right next to each other?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search