The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
DMG Multiplicity - This Looks Interesting! Dynamics Plugins
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trakworx View Post
Yes, mute the band so you hear just the rest of the track. I find it useful when dialing in frequency and bandwidth to isolate just what I want to address and leave untouched what I don't want to address. I use it all the time in Pro-MB and Supresser. With the slope and shape options in Multiplicity I think it would be extra helpful to have that feature.

Preferences: Autolisten = passband / subband. Then right click the band.

Campaigning for this to be on a modifier key so you have the best of both worlds
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by teebaum View Post
is there in multiplicity a comparable mode to the "dynamic phase mode" at pro-mb or does it work (if used as multiband) with crossovers and always has a phase-shift?
(sorry I didn't read my way through all those posts)
All processing is linear phase, so there's no phase shift. To the best of my understanding, this means you get pre-ring while the filtering is active, but not when it's not. Tune your time constants/detection properly, and it's largely a non-issue in most cases IME, and it's definitely more transparent than ProMB (which I used to use a LOT).
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

In equilibrium, when I want to key in values to parameters I have no problem using the numeric keypad on the right of my keyboard. In Multiplicity this does not work and Pro Tools thinks I am setting a marker. Anyone else seeing this?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushwick View Post
In equilibrium, when I want to key in values to parameters I have no problem using the numeric keypad on the right of my keyboard. In Multiplicity this does not work and Pro Tools thinks I am setting a marker. Anyone else seeing this?
In PT that has been happening to me intermittently with all DMG plug-ins for years.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by macc View Post
- Try going upside down - cut the offending freq statically, put it back dynamically. This plugin is **ridiculous** for this kind of thing. My jaw was hanging open earlier today.
Since the release of Pro-Q3 and my rediscovery of this technique I've been doing it almost all the time in Multiplicity. It's ridiculous how transparently one can remove "mud" or any kind of congestion while still sounding like nothing was touched.

Multiplicity is an amazing plugin! Truly.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Preferences: Autolisten = passband / subband. Then right click the band.

Campaigning for this to be on a modifier key so you have the best of both worlds
Thanks! Yeah, that makes it so the band solo button becomes a band mute button, but then there's no solo button anymore. Going into Setup to toggle that is a pain. Ideally I'd love to have a "M" button right next to the "S" button. Keep campaigning!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trakworx View Post
Thanks! Yeah, that makes it so the band solo button becomes a band mute button, but then there's no solo button anymore. Going into Setup to toggle that is a pain. Ideally I'd love to have a "M" button right next to the "S" button. Keep campaigning!
Been whingeing about that exact thing from the very start :( I get the point there are enough controls though, TBF...

Hence the mod key for pass / sub band listen idea. We'll see...
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Too good to not buy it...
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:

- Try going upside down - cut the offending freq statically, put it back dynamically. This plugin is **ridiculous** for this kind of thing. My jaw was hanging open earlier today.
I used to work that on TDR Nova but Multiplicity is making this much better imo Perfect to cut away strong bass overpowering bassdrums with the band then add it back dynamically.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
I've been experimenting with this the past few days, it can lead to great results for sure in cleaning up mud and adding movement to stuffy areas.

What's your preferred way of setting up for it - cutting gain and using upward expanding ratios to restore stuff? Using the below threshold features?

The more I dig in and understand what's possible with this the more I appreciate it. The level of control and flexibility are just so deep without getting in the way of quick, simple applications if that's all that's needed. Great software.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I think the lookahead time affects the tone differently than it does with Essence, I kept comparing broadband of Essence to Multiplicity with the same lookahead time. Just now I screwed around with dropping the lookahead of Multiplicity way down, and it sounds closer to the tone of Essence to me (slightly more open). More like 1 ms instead of 10 (which is where I have Essence usually).

Also just scratching the surface of the deadband thing, holy COW
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos View Post
I think the lookahead time affects the tone differently than it does with Essence, I kept comparing broadband of Essence to Multiplicity with the same lookahead time. Just now I screwed around with dropping the lookahead of Multiplicity way down, and it sounds closer to the tone of Essence to me (slightly more open). More like 1 ms instead of 10 (which is where I have Essence usually).

Also just scratching the surface of the deadband thing, holy COW
I haven't compared directly to Essence but lookahead definitely affects tone. I kind of like lower settings in general so far too.

Deadband is indeed awesome, and combined with the above and below ratios plus side chain EQ/filtering you can get really, really specific control over the action if need be. Love it.

Last night I used it for transient enhancement in the mids and highs and it sounded more natural than another tool I was using, and triggering was more predictable after a bit of fine-tuning.

I do my best to be cautious about honeymoon period excitement but Multiplicity just gets more exciting and useful by the day. No, it's not some mind-blowing revolutionary audio processor or anything, but it just does so many practical and helpful things, all from one instance, as well or better than anything else I've used.

If it gets the noise parameter from Essence it may just be the best multi-purpose vocal toolkit around too.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Last day of the deal today! (Just got mine)
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Same! This thing killed it for me on some unruly high-hats in a master recently. Even though I'm barely getting my head around it, it was head and shoulders above everything else I tried to throw at those hats!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by B Elgin View Post
I've been experimenting with this the past few days, it can lead to great results for sure in cleaning up mud and adding movement to stuffy areas.

What's your preferred way of setting up for it - cutting gain and using upward expanding ratios to restore stuff? Using the below threshold features?
I've been spending a good bit of time *really* looking at this and it all depends on a lot of things (surprise surprise!).

Generally though, if I'm working below say, 200Hz then I prefer to cut and use more trans addition type stuff to put it back. I'll listen to diff, set the gain to 0 and then monitor what I'm going to be adding back (eg kick) and get it so I hear the kick doing exactly what I want. Then diff off, and set all the gains as desired.

Higher up, I find it much easier and more natural working with min attack and ratio below. Set rat bel and floor to max and set threshold so it's adding back when desired, then set floor to desired result and relax if it if need be with rat bel (or release). This can be ultra-fast to set up and staggeringly good, to the point where you think, 'you know, this sounds alright with -48dB'.

Reason behind all this is attack related. Anything below ~2-3ms, you have to be very careful using the 'traditional' expansion with low freq content, as it just clicks all over the place, for obvious reasons. With appropriate lookahead (and SC eq) you can use the trans to add the gain back much better at LF. Further up, 0.2ms is more than fine for this purpose, IMO.

Lookahead changes everything as well. In relation to the tone comments above, I believe it all depends on what you're doing. If you're making something disappear completely (a hi hat or whatever) then long lookaheads are the way. Adding snap? Shorter all the way.

The other thing this plugin is really really teaching me more than anything ever before, is how important SC eq is to the tone of the processed result. Even though you think it should just affect the triggering/accuracy, it really affects the sound of a given eq band. I sort of knew this, but yeah, it really matters.

This plugin is still amazing me. Doing some stuff today that could probably have been done with Essence, but it was so fast and straightforward with mindblowingly good results... amazing.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Best plugin ever.

edit: also with the side chain. I LOVE having a HPF and a LPF in the detector. Its just so freaking good.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos View Post
Best plugin ever.

edit: also with the side chain. I LOVE having a HPF and a LPF in the detector. Its just so freaking good.
In case you weren't aware - the peak band can be a BPF too
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
In case you weren't aware - the peak band can be a BPF too
I DID notice! Seriously just freaking great.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
If you're making something disappear completely (a hi hat or whatever) then long lookaheads are the way. Adding snap? Shorter all the way...

This plugin is still amazing me. Doing some stuff today that could probably have been done with Essence, but it was so fast and straightforward with mindblowingly good results... amazing.
Macc, how are you finding it comparing to your Magneto Dynamic Infundibulum? Apples and oranges? Or can you achieve the same sort of high-hat disappearing act with both?

Just curious cause I remember you being keen on that hw unit for transparent multiband processing.

Last edited by crackmandu; 1 week ago at 04:58 PM.. Reason: punctuation and stuff
Old 1 week ago
As a fellow G21 owner I'd say they are different beasts, really. Multiplicity's main strength is how minutely you can tailor the envelope of the compression, wheras the G23s unique characteristic is that it has no time constants at all. They compliment each other well.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackmandu View Post
Macc, how are you finding it comparing to your Magneto Dynamic Infundibulum? Apples and oranges? Or can you achieve the same sort of high-hat disappearing act with both?

Just curious cause I remember you being keen on that hw unit for transparent multiband processing.
I wondered when this question might arise

I don't think it's out of line to say that Dave got in touch with me asking about the G21 some time ago, presumably in the early stages of development. I put him in touch with Jakob and they talked about some stuff. It might have been Greek or possibly Chinese that they were talking. I understood 0.1% of it (the 'hello' bit).

So it's true to say that Multiplicity has, to some unknown degree, been informed by the G21. But I agree with Hippocratic above - in practice they're pretty different. You can do similarish things with Multiplicity, but it doesn't feel the same. MP is pretty quick to use, but the G21 is light speed by virtue of being hardware/only doing one thing. A number of other differences, but yeah - what Hippocratic said.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Gotcha!

Very interesting!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Haha! I was at Dave’s place when that happened. We were talking about gear and he asked me what might be interesting to look at creating in software that didn’t exist yet. I had read a lot about the G21, and also Chris Airwindows blog article on creating a budget diy version, so suggested it might be a cool thing to look into. I think he mailed you then and there iirc

Last edited by Conundra; 1 week ago at 08:51 PM.. Reason: Typo
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Dave can you please hold off on making another plugin? I need some time to learn multiplicity before I can buy another one. Thank you.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Have a sparse mix here with plenty of space and it is good for lifting a kick and transparently attenuating a stick (a real crack attack) Starting to feel more comfy with it. Killed some harshness on the track before and I think it can definitely "tuck in" deeper before sounding contrived.

Does all the routine jobs better than anything else.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

This plugin is absolutely fascinating.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

I finally spent some time with it today. I had told myself I wouldn’t buy this one. I have all of the DMG plugs and Fabfilter and after upgrading to Q3 I saw no reason to even demo it... but they couldn’t be more different if they tried. Especially for mastering, I can’t think of a single plugin that can do what multiplicity does. Incredible.

I just wish there was a quick way to solo the mid and side independently. It’s helpful sometimes to find problematic areas.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
So it's true to say that Multiplicity has, to some unknown degree, been informed by the G21.
Hey mate, I'm afraid this isn't the case at all. Dave was certainly interested by a passive multiband clipper in the sense of it being unusual. The G21 (like the rest of the multiband hardware we looked at) had absolutely no bearing on Multiplicity, which took shape when I persuaded Dave to stop being distracted by hardware and consider my plan for a multiband Essence instead, which I'd been convinced of the need for by your long rambling emails!

Dave loves circuits and working out what they do, they don't necessarily have any bearing on our work outside of us understanding what exists in the market, what it does, why people use it and how it works.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oktalski View Post
Hey mate, I'm afraid this isn't the case at all. Dave was certainly interested by a passive multiband clipper in the sense of it being unusual. The G21 (like the rest of the multiband hardware we looked at) had absolutely no bearing on Multiplicity, which took shape when I persuaded Dave to stop being distracted by hardware and consider my plan for a multiband Essence instead, which I'd been convinced of the need for by your long rambling emails!

Dave loves circuits and working out what they do, they don't necessarily have any bearing on our work outside of us understanding what exists in the market, what it does, why people use it and how it works.
Well there you go - straight from the horse's mouth.

Shows what I know!
Old 1 day ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oktalski View Post
which I'd been convinced of the need for by your long rambling emails!
Now that is hilarious lol
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search