The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Dangerous AD+ Digital Converters
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Dangerous AD+

who is using the Dangerous AD+ here?
couldn't find much user experience here on gearslutz, especially in the mastering context.
I thought the AD+ would set a new benchmark, like the prism AD2 or the Hedd, but it seems not too many folks here are using it.

would be nice to hear some thoughts.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

It’s incredible. I’ve used a number of different mastering grade AD and the Dangerous is absolutely superb. Balanced, linear, great sound stage, and can be pushed very very hard without distorting. Even if clipping a converter isn’t ones cup of tea, it will allow one to maximize headroom during analog capture without worrying about a few spurious peaks. It just doesn’t distort unless you’re being totally insane. The transformer and emphasis are cool add ons, if it fancies you. But overall this converter is the business.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

yes, that was the only one that existed. i thought maybe there are more user experiences by now. and to make a only AD+ dedicated link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus Lindberg View Post
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

great to hear! since when you are using it, and what were you using before?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slug1 View Post
It’s incredible. I’ve used a number of different mastering grade AD and the Dangerous is absolutely superb. Balanced, linear, great sound stage, and can be pushed very very hard without distorting. Even if clipping a converter isn’t ones cup of tea, it will allow one to maximize headroom during analog capture without worrying about a few spurious peaks. It just doesn’t distort unless you’re being totally insane. The transformer and emphasis are cool add ons, if it fancies you. But overall this converter is the business.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I’ve had it for about 3 months or so. ADCs I’ve used in the past include Lynx Hilo, Prism Lyra2, API A2D, and Burl B2. These ADC are all great in their own way, especially Prism and Burl, but the Dangerous is an amazing capture device. Hilo is my “hub” and I use the DAC to pitch to my chain. Dangerous for ADC and Prism for monitoring. Plan to grab a Solaris soon for monitoring.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I will have one coming in soon and I can't wait to push it
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

cool. I had the apogee psx-100 (which is great for the money), UA 2192 and the Larry blue, and using since 2 1/2 years the prism ad 124 and the mytek 8x192 for DA side.

is the prism similar to the AD+?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slug1 View Post
I’ve had it for about 3 months or so. ADCs I’ve used in the past include Lynx Hilo, Prism Lyra2, API A2D, and Burl B2. These ADC are all great in their own way, especially Prism and Burl, but the Dangerous is an amazing capture device. Hilo is my “hub” and I use the DAC to pitch to my chain. Dangerous for ADC and Prism for monitoring. Plan to grab a Solaris soon for monitoring.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

grande Giuseppe! when? and what are you using now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe Zaccaria View Post
I will have one coming in soon and I can't wait to push it
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by valeot View Post
cool. I had the apogee psx-100 (which is great for the money), UA 2192 and the Larry blue, and using since 2 1/2 years the prism ad 124 and the mytek 8x192 for DA side.

is the prism similar to the AD+?
Actually they are different. The Prism is lovely. Dare I say 3D. It adds dimensionally especially depth. Great lows and crystal clear highs. It does require a conservative signal to stay stable. But it is a great AD in its own right. But my current approach requires something that can take a hotter signal and stay undistorted. The Dangerous is just super transparent and stays that way even when pushed several dB. The bells and whistles are probably fine but I now have the xformer/emphasis off most of the time. Just capturing the signal coming from the Bettermaker Limiter. Clipping kick transients with the Bettermaker and massaging the release time, and then going into the AD+ for another couple dB is really sounding great.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by valeot View Post
grande Giuseppe! when? and what are you using now?
I use 8x192 DAC and Pure2 ADC, I will have it for a try in a bit...
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I have the AD + for 5-6 months.

Great sounding device, love the meters, it clips beautifully

The Emphasis is very nice, should be available without the x-former , which I don't really use much. Takes away too much sub.

Overall its a very musical device and quality of my masters went up considerably.

Used Pure 2 and latest pre-Quantum HEDD before.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Addict

I'd buy that on looks alone. Kick @ss unit fairly priced.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search