The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
So what's up with those ancient L2 hardware?! Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioloud View Post
It's a bit confusing to read people who state there is a massive difference with the hardware and other stating it's exactly the same, especially having tested it scientifically with a null test...

Could be interesting to hear something from Mr. Waves himself (well from developers) about this.
Also, as they don't have any more interest in selling the hardware as it's out of production, they could be objectively objective (no pun intended)
Or hear some samples made between hardware and software if anybody owning a unit is up to it ? Just using AES EBU connection, Linked AND unlinked, with exact same settings on software and hardware (1 / 2 db GR max could be enough). That'd be very interesting
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe Zaccaria View Post
No worries...
I believe they sounds different because I have both since ages and I did a lot of comparisons between the two in the time.
I think its no a matter of the same code, which could be exactly the same, but a matter of CPU implementation, which must be different, therefore sounds different. Modern CPUs handle the whole system plus various apps, they are not dedicated to do only one thing. That's the main reason why digital HW still rocks IMO
That's also my thoughts, although with no real "proof" unfortunately. But if I listen to my ears (wich is crucial before anything else) indeed Digital hardware still sounds "better" to me aswell
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe Zaccaria View Post
No worries...
I believe they sounds different because I have both since ages and I did a lot of comparisons between the two in the time.
I think its no a matter of the same code, which could be exactly the same, but a matter of CPU implementation, which must be different, therefore sounds different. Modern CPUs handle the whole system plus various apps, they are not dedicated to do only one thing. That's the main reason why digital HW still rocks IMO

are you actually implying that a computer will not calculate correctly when they run other applications?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostolos Siopis View Post
are you actually implying that a computer will not calculate correctly when they run other applications?
Perhaps yes
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

There have been threads on comparisons between the hardware and software L2 going back to 2003 at least, it comes up every few years on Gearslutz and other mastering forums. In fact, I can't think of any two audio processors that have been compared more thoroughly...

If someone with the hardware L2 (connected digitally so as to avoid the L2's ADDA) is up for it, we could redo the experiment and perform null tests on some audio. Like we did in the good old days
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Thanks for responses, and hope you are well Robin, I always thought L2 seems to sound fairly warm and chunky at sensible settings, though I have not used it for a long time now. I suspect today it loses out on retaining the punch and going as loud as need be for some genres/clients. Possibly at risk of thinning out the chunks slighty down below with modern limiters.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I wonder if the differing sound of the hardware can be attributed to where it is in the chain or what gear it's following which can lead to impedance differences and sound differences. There was a really interesting thread around here about the Dangerous Bax and how it's so sensitive to impediances and after testing a bunch of people agreed that the Bax can either sound amazing or not so good depending on where it is in the chain and what gear is coming before it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search