The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
This isn't really mastering but it is. Or remixing. Or recreating.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

This isn't really mastering but it is. Or remixing. Or recreating.

I spent a couple of hours in the dentist's chair last week.

And all the time I was listening to a soft-rock stream on a little Sonos speaker that he had in there. And after a while I noticed that the speaker was delivering the bass parts with a clarity that you'd hope to find on a "How to Play Bass" recording. I mean, it was unbelievable. It was like being in a room with a bass player sitting and playing parts. Perfectly clear and perfectly even and perfectly executed.

And after a while I noticed that the tone of the bass and even the playing of the bass was the same on all the tracks, ranging from 50 years ago to maybe 20 or 30 years ago. All the various records sounded like the same guy with the same gear at the same time.

And after a while I noticed that the mix was pretty much the vocal, and the bass part, and almost nothing else. Any other instruments only showed up when they were a distinctive part of the sound of the hit.

And I realized that it couldn't be a frequency response thing because there weren't any bass resonances. All the bass notes were clear and even. And when the song-critical other instruments needed to appear, they appeared.

I conclude that there is some funny business going on here.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Of course there is.

audioforce
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Novocaine is a hell of a drug
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Davis View Post
Novocaine is a hell of a drug
Yeah, I can't help but notice how it really brings out the "bass clarity", while allowing other parts to be audible only when they are important and needed.

audioforce
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Did you opt for the gas by chance?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Those speakers have a room tuning mode. Obviously has some DSP going on, probably multiband compression on the low frequencies and maybe some side channel attenuation.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
Those speakers have a room tuning mode. Obviously has some DSP going on, probably multiband compression on the low frequencies and maybe some side channel attenuation.
Do they also come with a tiny person inside that detects when important, distinctive musical parts start playing, so that they can be turned up?

I want one.

cheers,

audioforce
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Sorry yeah, so LF compression, side channel attenuation and tiny person.

Don't forget the tiny person needs feeding otherwise distinctive musical parts start to not be turned up.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
Sorry yeah, so LF compression, side channel attenuation and tiny person.

Don't forget the tiny person needs feeding otherwise distinctive musical parts start to not be turned up.
Ahh well, there's always a catch, huh? : )

But I might still get one.

cheers,

audioforce
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioforce View Post
Yeah, I can't help but notice how it really brings out the "bass clarity", while allowing other parts to be audible only when they are important and needed.
Sounds like whatever the dentist gave you would work well at raves.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by johannburkard View Post
Sounds like whatever the dentist gave you would work well at raves.
Not for nothin', but I wasn't the OP. Just commenting. But yeah, I guess it would.

cheers,

audioforce
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

The sonos do something to the low end. Quite impressive really. We have two Sonos5 and they sound as full as they need to be for passive listening.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search