The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Hats Off to Silvertone
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Hats Off to Silvertone

So my client who runs The Life Changes Show went to a late set at the Baked Potato earlier this week to try to persuade The Levin Bros. to play on the show. He failed in his quest, but he came away with a signed copy of their CD. And holy moly is it ever great.

With impeccable mastering by our own Larry DeVivo aka @Silvertone.

Check it out - here's a link: LEVIN BROTHERS

Nice photo of Larry on the bottom right.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
So my client who runs The Life Changes Show went to a late set at the Baked Potato earlier this week to try to persuade The Levin Bros. to play on the show. He failed in his quest, but he came away with a signed copy of their CD. And holy moly is it ever great.

With impeccable mastering by our own Larry DeVivo aka @Silvertone.

Check it out - here's a link: LEVIN BROTHERS

Nice photo of Larry on the bottom right.
Larry is the best. I hope his studio project comes to fruition. I believe Larry and Tony go way back...
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Golly guys thank you for the kind words. I think it’s a great album and it only took the brother 65 years to finally play on the same album together. lol

I first met Tony and Jerry when I interviewed them for Tape Op magazine about 20 years ago. We just all hit it off and had a lot in common so we became friends... about 5 years into knowing them I asked Tony why he never had me master anything for him. He said, oh, you never asked, we both laughed. I’ve mastered just about everything for him ever since. He was on the Lazy Bones label out of New Zealand then and Scott the label owner from Lazy Bones loved what I did so that led me to mastering a bunch of other artist on the label. I’m very proud of every album I’ve done for them. You’ve probably all heard Scott’s artist’s as his music is placed in a lot of TV shows and movies. Through Lazy Bones I got to work with a number of artists that I’ve been a fan of, Jordan Rudess, David Torn, Alan White, Steve Gadd, Marco Minnemann, Pat Masteloto, Jordan Barnes, Michelle Van Kleefe, Living in Question, etc... just an amazing group of artists, some of whom I’ve become friends with.

As for the Levin Brothers album unfortunately when they had Welcome to 1979 do the lacquers for the vinyl pressing, they didn’t get any credit on the album and I didn’t get any mastering credit either. Which is a bummer as the vinyl sounds great. When BMG picked up the record I wrote Pete Levin to see if he could have the credits put on to future pressings. He told me he would try but I have never check since.

I think I’ll write Pete later this morning.

I’ve been talking to them and Jerry about using my 3 track set up, possibly placed down at Dreamland to do some Columbia 30th street type recordings for their next Levin Brothers Album... all are keen on the idea... logistics is the hard part. Tony is the hardest working musician I ever met. He is currently in 4 bands playing all over the world. I don’t know how he or his wife Andi does it.

Thanks Brent... I never had a thread dedicated to a Silvertone before.
Old 2 weeks ago
Hi Larry,
Finally the Levin Bros!
Had this on pre-order a year or so ago and they dropped it.
Figured that it was toast...

Kind of funny how many favorite albums were done by you!

How about Stick Men?
Did you work on those?

Tony and all his friends are keeping art rock alive at a time when interest had dwindled a little bit. As you mentioned, Tony is the hardest working guy around.

Anyhow, thanks Larry for all of your excellent work!

With respect,
Roger
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerFoote View Post
Hi Larry,
Finally the Levin Bros!
Had this on pre-order a year or so ago and they dropped it.
Figured that it was toast...

Kind of funny how many favorite albums were done by you!

How about Stick Men?
Did you work on those?

Tony and all his friends are keeping art rock alive at a time when interest had dwindled a little bit. As you mentioned, Tony is the hardest working guy around.

Anyhow, thanks Larry for all of your excellent work!

With respect,
Roger
Why thank you very much Roger.

Yes, I did his Stickman album, his Stickmen album and Stickmen “Soup” Album, he also gave me production credits on Resonator but really I just helped him rebalance that album at mix time.

Prog Rock appreciation may be down in the states but Europe and Asia still love it... and so do I. Apparently I’m not alone. lol

Thanks again for the kind words Roger.

Here are the brothers while we were doing the mastering...
Attached Thumbnails
Hats Off to Silvertone-8bd92df5-917f-4f88-a39e-685e196518cc.jpeg  
Old 2 weeks ago
Larry,

Wow! What a great picture!
Thank you!

Man, you deserve a lot more kind words that I can utter!
I basically live for prog, but being 66 last year I guess that's pretty simple.
But the records you mastered? Those are my faves!

It is curious how after listening to Tony from Peter Gabriel, through Nancy Griffith (IIRC), through King Crimson, somehow Tony feels like a family member.
Probably since he is so genuine and friendly.
How does he work that hard though and keep that great attitude?

So, yeah talking to you is like talking to a childhood hero!
If I ever did a prog album, which isn't too far out, I would ask you to master it.

Getting to this age, the feeling of culture passing you by as is normal, it is SO nice that prog still exists in such a robust way! And after chatting with you it feels even more solid since not only do we have Tony and Co. preserving and inventing prog, we have a dedicated ME that is instrumental at getting more prog out for we voracious prog consumers!

I hope you keep working in the field, which is happily the case with the new Levin Bro's album. Really looking forward to that!

Please forgive the gushing post, hehe
I can assure you it is genuine!
All the best to you, Larry!
Roger
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Thanks Roger, Tony is the nicest guy you’ll ever meet. He doesn’t have a bad thing to say about anybody, especially some of the people he has worked for who are known for being difficult like Paul Simon and Yoko Ono. He talks about them both very endearingly.

Even the record companies that have screwed him out of hundreds of thousands of dollars, he doesn’t have a bad thing to say. He is an amazing human being.

If you ever get the chance to meet him just mention we know each other... he can go on for hours with great war stories of being on the road and the people he has worked for..

I have a number of Prog rock bands out of a Germany and Russia that I do work for. Always fun and challenging. Long live Prog Rock.

Did I mention I play Chapman Stick as well... that’s all Tony’s fault. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerFoote View Post
Larry,

Wow! What a great picture!
Thank you!

Man, you deserve a lot more kind words that I can utter!
I basically live for prog, but being 66 last year I guess that's pretty simple.
But the records you mastered? Those are my faves!

It is curious how after listening to Tony from Peter Gabriel, through Nancy Griffith (IIRC), through King Crimson, somehow Tony feels like a family member.
Probably since he is so genuine and friendly.
How does he work that hard though and keep that great attitude?

So, yeah talking to you is like talking to a childhood hero!
If I ever did a prog album, which isn't too far out, I would ask you to master it.

Getting to this age, the feeling of culture passing you by as is normal, it is SO nice that prog still exists in such a robust way! And after chatting with you it feels even more solid since not only do we have Tony and Co. preserving and inventing prog, we have a dedicated ME that is instrumental at getting more prog out for we voracious prog consumers!

I hope you keep working in the field, which is happily the case with the new Levin Bro's album. Really looking forward to that!

Please forgive the gushing post, hehe
I can assure you it is genuine!
All the best to you, Larry!
Roger
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Amazing! Do you record your stick material?

How about those German and Russian prog groups you work with?
Can you name names? If so, I will add them to the collection.

I'm a little slow sometimes and this group went totally under my radar until my son told me about them, a group called IQ.

They were like a neo-prog band but in the same era as the prog greats.
Really dig the guitar, keys, bass, drums and vocals on the IQ albums, especially the album Frequency!

The newer neo-prog groups like Flower Kings and Transatlantic are so good. Being able to successfully merge R&B, Motown, Gospel and Prog they way these young 'uns do.

It is so cool to have all these young bands doing prog so well.
Scary good actually!

Long Live Prog!

OK, I am going to look up Chapman Sticks now, It's all Larry's fault, lol

Roger
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Maybe some of you don't know it, but Larry records some of his own stuff on that totally badass rig of his that is prettttty cool!
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
Maybe some of you don't know it, but Larry records some of his own stuff on that totally badass rig of his that is prettttty cool!
I did not know!
Thanks jono!

Can you yell me what his releases are by name?
Looked in Amazon under Larry's name but nada.

I am ALWAYS on the lookout for more music for my collection.

And I definitely want to support these fine people keeping prog and "art music" alive!
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertone
I forgot the most obvious thing.
It was all Tony's fault that I found my dream bass, a Music Man Stingray 5 Neck Through, HS configuration. All black.

I am slow sometimes and it took a long time to figure this out, but watching Tony play it's obvious he digs 'em too.

I probably would not have bought one if Tony didn't play them, as this allowed me to see what they sound like.

Emmett Chapman's Stick Bass looks cool!!!

Sorry if I hijacked the thread, not intended.
It's just that I don't get to talk with my heroes very much if at all, since I am not a pro musician... Larry and Tony et al represent the exact center of my musical tastes.

Thanks to you all!

Respectfully,
Roger
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Hi Roger,

Even though I probably have about 10 full albums done and maybe another couple hundred songs and recordings of my own material I never really release anything commercially. Terry Manning even offered to put my music out on his label and I just never get my act together to do so.

This year I pressed 10 albums using Jon (Jono) A.T. Austin Signal but they were just Christmas gifts for the guys who played on it and for a few close friends.

The only thing I have is a few YouTube videos where I’m playing bass (Musicman Stingray of course) with a young artist I recorded.

I also have one video where I had my good friend Pete Sweeney come over and play some stick tunes with me. I had my friend Tony Perrino video one song with my iPhone but that about it.

YouTube
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search