The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Batch Narration Mastering - Suggestions? DAW Software
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Batch Narration Mastering - Suggestions?

I'm looking for a way to match the loudness levels of a large variety of raw spoken voice recordings. So, I'm assuming an offline loudness metering and correction plug-in is in order. However, I've somehow managed to avoid needing to conform to loudness standards throughout my career, so it's a bit foreign to me, and I'm asking the community for some guidance.

A friend is going to be collecting self-recorded voice narrations from a ton of different individuals who are not audio savvy. So, a bunch of different narrations, recorded in different spaces, by different people, with different gear. (What could go wrong?)

A detailed 'best practices' guide along with recommended mic/preamp options will be provided in order to help the narrators make the cleanest and most professional sounding raw recordings they can. These recordings will be edited, cleaned up, and mastered (probably by me), with the goal of achieving a high level of sonic consistency and loudness levels. The end products will be published to a website. So, we don't want end users having to constantly adjust their volume levels with each new selection.

I don't think there's going to be a quick way around EQ matching, but it's the loudness part I'm less familiar with. If I wanted to quickly adjust all narrations to say, -14 LUFS (Spotify's new standard from what I understand), is there a dependable and recommended offline software option to do so?

ps: I'm not lazy. Honestly. It's just that they plan to process well over 300 recordings a month. So, I'm looking for quality and efficiency. Even if it gets me 80% there with a batch process.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

It's not really mastering question, but rather for post IMO.

Reaper is great for such tasks, if you learn it and customize it a bit (add shortcuts and macros aka custom actions to most used functions and install add-on called SWS extensions). Then one can be very productive and quick even for hundreds of takes or clips.

The mentioned volume normalization is just one helper function and pretty easy task. From my point of view, the Reaper advantage is also at its editing functions (you can quickly edit in ripple mode, deleting and trimming empty space using built-in silence detection etc.) and mainly at fist class item (clip) based functions.

Thanks to latter you can for example use following workflow.

- import all audio clips from different persons, places etc. to single project
just sequentially, one after another, then you can also put some space between individual source items in the project for easier work - like you select all adjacent items and call particular function to add 5 seconds silence between each item)

- edit all those items at its place

- commit your edits using Glue function
You can select several faded and edited items into time selection and then it will "glue" everything together and make one single item. That way you'll end up with one item per every file, you'd like to further tweak and export.

- adjust level or process each item as you like, you can create effect chains with noise reduction, EQ, dynamics and de-esser. As you have everything in one project, you can easily compare, copy whole effect chains between items and tweak its settings.
With regards to leveling of items, you can use either LUFS based item normalization from SWS extensions or built-in RMS based normalization. It will simply set appropriate level to meet your target as individual volume value per each item, so you can further tweak it.
There is also per item volume automation, so it's possible to level out within each take as necessary (like someone leaning from microphone, some words gets lost by uneven volume etc.).

- finally you can simply select all your items regardless its position in project and export those all at once using Reaper bulit-in Batch File/Item converter. That way each item will be exported as individual file with common format, you don't need to set any regions, markers in project just for export etc. Filename for each file can be generated item's name, so if you use something meaningful in project, then it would be automatically translated there.

It has its learning curve, but it's IMO quickest DAW and tool for that. It's super useful for all situations, where you have some mostly common processing for massive amounts of items, but with individual tweaks. Like tons of clips for game audio, some voiceovers for navigation systems etc.

Michal
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

More and more, I'm encountering situations where Reaper is the answer to a problem I'm trying to solve :-)

Perhaps it's time I give it a serious look.

I greatly appreciate you taking the time to include so much detail.

Thank you.
Old 2 weeks ago
For batch leveling spoken voice recordings, Auphonic Leveler (the application) and iZotope's RX 7 Leveler work well.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotVeryLoud View Post
More and more, I'm encountering situations where Reaper is the answer to a problem I'm trying to solve :-)

Thank you.
I have it set up so I can select any amount of clips, hit one keyboard shortcut and it normalises them all to -23LUFS.
Very very fast and into a limiter you’d get a good level across even hundreds of clips within minutes
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:

Thank you.
I have reaper set up so I can select any amount of clips, hit one keyboard shortcut and it brings them all to -23LUFS.

Very very fast and into a limiter you get a similar level across even hundreds of clips within minutes. Close enough that on a project like this that I’d doubt the end user would notice.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Verified Member
A great piece of software (no longer supported but still works GREAT) is The Levelator(R) from The Conversations Network
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippoorwill View Post
I have it set up so I can select any amount of clips, hit one keyboard shortcut and it normalises them all to -23LUFS.
Very very fast and into a limiter you’d get a good level across even hundreds of clips within minutes
Thanks.
I’m definitely going to explore working with Reaper on this project. Would you mind if I message you if I run into problems or get stuck somewhere in the learning process? I promise I won’t make a habit of it ✌️
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Adobe Audition has batch normalization. Set the target LUFS or whatever standard it. It also has a surprisingly good effect called speech volume leveler which works well on narration.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisNunchuck View Post
Adobe Audition has batch normalization. Set the target LUFS or whatever standard it. It also has a surprisingly good effect called speech volume leveler which works well on narration.
Thank you. I actually had a friend suggest Audition yesterday for this. Apparently, it's used a lot in broadcast production and is set up for this type of work. I will check it out too.
Old 2 weeks ago
pho
Here for the gear
Aurchitect's (former Audiofile Engineering) Myriad offers a good quality suite of conversion and batch processing tools at an absolutely manageable pricepoint.

A very powerful option is Nugen's AMB system, which is nicely expandable and configurable with various modules. Starting around a thousand bucks it's definetly at the "well informed decision" end of things, but there's a fully functional 14 days trial version to take a look under the hood. I'm working with Nugen's tools in post production for around a decade now and have to say they're absolutely top notch. A clear recommendation for professional work.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Morrison View Post
For batch leveling spoken voice recordings, Auphonic Leveler (the application) and iZotope's RX 7 Leveler work well.
I just upgraded from RX 5 to RX 7 yesterday. Figure it's going to come in handy for the nature of this project. Hadn't yet seen that it also has a leveling function. Thanks for the suggestion.

Edit: Bah . . . I see it's only included in RX7 Advanced. I have RX7, Chump version.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pho View Post
Aurchitect's (former Audiofile Engineering) Myriad offers a good quality suite of conversion and batch processing tools at an absolutely manageable pricepoint.

A very powerful option is Nugen's AMB system, which is nicely expandable and configurable with various modules. Starting around a thousand bucks it's definetly at the "well informed decision" end of things, but there's a fully functional 14 days trial version to take a look under the hood. I'm working with Nugen's tools in post production for around a decade now and have to say they're absolutely top notch. A clear recommendation for professional work.
Thanks. I've seen Nugen mentioned a few times in other forums for similar work. Price point's a bit much (for now), but I'll definitely give the trial a look.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Thanks.
I’m definitely going to explore working with Reaper on this project. Would you mind if I message you if I run into problems or get stuck somewhere in the learning process? I promise I won’t make a habit of it ✌️
go for it! Although I'm not a very fast reply-er. There are good youtube series that I got a lot from, especially Kenny Gioia's stuff.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Second RX7 Leveller
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermetech Mastering View Post
Second RX7 Leveller
Yeah, looks great and exactly what I need. I upgraded to RX 7 yesterday, but not the Advanced version. If I do more of this kind of work, I may spring for it later.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search