The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mixed file sounds different in DAW than mixed. Not the room/speakers Enhancer Plugins
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Mixed file sounds different in DAW than mixed. Not the room/speakers

I don't know which forum to put this in. I've been doing some reference mixes for my band of rehearsals. I mix it, do a quick mastering job. Convert it to MP3 for dropbox. I listen back and the bass is NOT what I mixed. LOL. It's huge and boomy. It's an acoustic bass. Jazz. It's NOT the room. I'm listening back in the same room, same speakers I mixed it in. Listening right afterwards. When I'd experienced this before I just assumed it was the room messing with my frequencies.

The room is pretty good now. Am I experiencing an issue with how the files are being converted? I only do real-time bounces. I record the mix in real time., I don't bounce. Metric Halo ULN8-3D, DP 9.51. It sounds different in the DAW than it does Apple iTunes playback. The playback mixer is completely flat. Any tips for me?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

At what point does the sound change?
- after bounce?
- after mp3 conversion? Or
- at playback from web/iTunes?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothTone View Post
At what point does the sound change?
- after bounce?
- after mp3 conversion? Or
- at playback from web/iTunes?
im pretty sure it’s after conversion. But that’s also when I hear it either after dragging the file into iTunes (which is fiat - enhancements) or playing it from the desktop of my Mac. You know, finding the file directly and hitting okay, which I assume I’d still the iTunes engine.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryrobinett View Post
I mix it, do a quick mastering job. Convert it to MP3 for dropbox. I listen back and the bass is NOT what I mixed.
Can you be a bit more specific? What did you do at the mastering stage? That will (obviously) sound different to your mix.

Assuming you mean you 'master' as in mixbus processing - it sounds different after export?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Are iTunes and the desktop playing through the exact same monitoring path (DAC, etc.) as DP is?

Did you try listening to the wave file version of the mix via iTunes and desktop?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Did you have sonarworks room correction plugin on your master bus? If yes, don't forget to bypass before bounce.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

What I did is what I was monitoring. I added a bit of Metric Halo Character and a stereo limiter. I boosted a bit of gain. 1.6 and -2 threshold, or there about. I’m not in front of it now. But I was listening to that while mixing and recording the mix. I listened back on a flat system with no plugins or EQ.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trakworx View Post
Are iTunes and the desktop playing through the exact same monitoring path (DAC, etc.) as DP is?

Did you try listening to the wave file version of the mix via iTunes and desktop?
yes they are. Except listening back after the mix there were no plugins.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamand View Post
Did you have sonarworks room correction plugin on your master bus? If yes, don't forget to bypass before bounce.
Nope. I don’t have that.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
yes they are. Except listening back after the mix there were no plugins.
While mixing were you listening through plugins that were not being printed? Plugins only in your monitoring path?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
While mixing were you listening through plugins that were not being printed? Plugins only in your monitoring path?
No. I recorded with two plugins. I listened back on a clean mixer, meaning it’s the same console and set up minus any plugins.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I don't think you answered this question: Did you try listening to the wave file version of the mix via iTunes and desktop?

That will tell you whether the MP3 conversion is the culprit.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
I don't think you answered this question: Did you try listening to the wave file version of the mix via iTunes and desktop?

That will tell you whether the MP3 conversion is the culprit.
I’m sorry. Yes I did, but honestly that was early this morning and I don’t really remember. All I know is that didn’t stop my trying to fix the problem. So I assume I decided it wasn’t the mp3 conversion. I’m using very high rate for mp3.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Are you previewing from inside the dropbox page? Or is it synced to your HD?

Dropbox has crappy audio quality when you preview from the web interface...One possibility at least.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Are you previewing from inside the dropbox page? Or is it synced to your HD?

Dropbox has crappy audio quality when you preview from the web interface...One possibility at least.
That is worth a shot. Mostly I THINK I listened from my own hard drive. But I may have listened a few times to Dropbox. Thanks. I’ll check it out tomorrow.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
No. I recorded with two plugins. I listened back on a clean mixer, meaning it’s the same console and set up minus any plugins.
This one is key Henry, he's asking if you rendered your plug ins as part of the output mix. That would make a big difference if the master buss plug ins where not rendered then as you can guess it would sound different
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgood View Post
This one is key Henry, he's asking if you rendered your plug ins as part of the output mix. That would make a big difference if the master buss plug ins where not rendered then as you can guess it would sound different
Hm. Let me see if I can explain this better. I rendered the mix with two plugins. They were on the master bus when I recorded the mix. When I played it back I removed those plugins, reset the level at zero. Those plugins were recorded into the mix. They were not part of the general output otherwise. But they're what I listened to as I recorded as they were rendered too. Listening back I removed those plugins as they were already recorded in the mix I was listening to.

I don't know how better to explain it. It should sound like I recorded it.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Ah gotcha, interesting

Is it a big difference or subtle?

Is it a 320 kbps mp3?

Maybe try iTunes format at 256 kbps mp4?

If you can post it would be interesting to hear the difference between a rendered wave file at the native resolution and the mp3
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Ah gotcha, interesting

Is it a big difference or subtle?

Is it a 320 kbps mp3?

Maybe try iTunes format at 256 kbps mp4?

If you can post it would be interesting to hear the difference between a rendered wave file at the native resolution and the mp3
Yeah, I'm doing it 256 kbs. You see I don't know how to translate this kind of voodoo. You'd have to be here to hear the tracks as I'm mixing. I've compared the 24/44.1 files to the MP3 and they sound very similar, so I don't think that's it. For now I'm going to pretend it didn't happen and continue with eyes wide open.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Yeah, I'm doing it 256 kbs. You see I don't know how to translate this kind of voodoo. You'd have to be here to hear the tracks as I'm mixing. I've compared the 24/44.1 files to the MP3 and they sound very similar, so I don't think that's it. For now I'm going to pretend it didn't happen and continue with eyes wide open.
Now it sounds like something to do with how your daw is rendering the mixdown but if you never noticed it before that's strange.

Good luck, if I was still in Sacramento we could have a beer and try to figure it out. Hope you're doing well

Cheers,

bcg
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Now it sounds like something to do with how your daw is rendering the mixdown but if you never noticed it before that's strange.

Good luck, if I was still in Sacramento we could have a beer and try to figure it out. Hope you're doing well

Cheers,

bcg
Now BC, that would be great.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search