The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Eardrum Spasm?! Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Eardrum Spasm?!

Second day in a row of random twitching/thumping inside my left ear only. Very disconcerting.

The best fitting diagnosis I found online is: Eardrum Spasm: Symptoms and Causes

My hearing is fine but it's distracting and worrying me. I wonder if diet, medications, alcohol consumption, etc., have an effect on this...

It appears to be rare. Has anyone experienced this?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Does the twitching happen randomly or is it related to sound? I.E. does it twitch on snare/percussion transients?

My ears are sometimes extremely sensitive to transients...in a kind of weird way...listening to music is fine (thankfully!), but for example if I tap my keys on the coffee table it's like I can perceive my eardrum moving a tiny bit after each tap. Doesn't hurt or anything but its mildly annoying and distracting. I saw an audiologist about it and she said it was normal and not to worry. I don't know if this is the same as what you're experiencing, but if it's bothering you it's worth a trip to the doc...if they tell you you're fine, that'll put your mind at ease, which will magically make this bother you less.

Diet, medications, booze, coffee, weed all affect hearing, mostly in a not good way.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Totally randomly. In a silent room.

I know substances commonly cause tinnitus, and there's a form of tinnitus that pulses/thumps rhythmically, but this is not at all rhythmic. And I can feel it spasming (twitching near the eardrum). So I think it's a muscle spasm not tinnitus. I have a hard time believing substances cause muscle spasms, but maybe...

I have a doctor appointment coming up anyway so if it's still happening I'll ask about it. She'll probably just send me for a hearing test which I already know I'll pass...
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Their hearing tests only go to 8k anyway.

Every few months or so I flush my ears with 50/50 hydrogen peroxide/water, seems to help and definitely doesn't hurt, could be worth a try if you haven't already.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I've experienced this in connection with a fungal ear infection. Went away when the infection cleared up.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothTone View Post
I've experienced this in connection with a fungal ear infection. Went away when the infection cleared up.
Hmm. Were there other symptoms?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trakworx View Post
Hmm. Were there other symptoms?
Wax buildup and dull kind of ache in the inner ear. Also water getting stuck in the ear after swimming and, at it's worst, intermittent blocked sound in one ear. The slight ache is the main symptom. Treated with an anti-fungal ointment. Your doc should be able to diagnose this on visual inspection.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothTone View Post
Wax buildup and dull kind of ache in the inner ear. Also water getting stuck in the ear after swimming and, at it's worst, intermittent blocked sound in one ear. The slight ache is the main symptom. Treated with an anti-fungal ointment. Your doc should be able to diagnose this on visual inspection.
Thanks. I don't have any of those symptoms but I'll watch for them.

Oh, and just in case, whatever you do, do NOT do an image search for "fungal ear infection".
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I have that every once in a while. But only shortly.
Does not worry me personally.

Huub
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I've had that a few times in the past. I've had this too;

Quote:
Originally Posted by scraggs View Post
it's like I can perceive my eardrum moving a tiny bit after each tap.
Glad to read the audiologist said it was normal!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trakworx View Post
Oh, and just in case, whatever you do, do NOT do an image search for "fungal ear infection".
Thanks for the warning!
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I’ve had exactly the same thing because of my tension neck. Neck / chest exercise is really important because otherwise my hearing will go really blurry and unfocused. And I keep having spasms and weird twitches in my left ear if I dont exercise every day.

Medication is the worst and I try to avoid it, natural causes don’t need unnatural treatment.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Verified Member
My symptoms, when I got the spasms, was an ear ache and full feeling in my left ear. Some antibiotics from my doctor and a week later all symptoms were gone.
Going to the doctor is always a good call. Right now with all the cold weather a lot of people have low humidity in their homes and offices and that adds to the discomfort and plugged Eustachian Tubes. Best of Luck!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommi6000 View Post
I’ve had exactly the same thing because of my tension neck. Neck / chest exercise is really important because otherwise my hearing will go really blurry and unfocused. And I keep having spasms and weird twitches in my left ear if I dont exercise every day.
Hmm, I have been off my exercise regimen lately and my neck has been sore...

Thanks. I'll def ask my doctor about that. She's also an osteopath.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Update: It seems to have cleared up today!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Good! Worrying about your ears in our line of work is super stressful.
Old 2 weeks ago
Little tip for those who tend to have problems with the eustachian tubes: look into a product called Otovent.

It's basically a plastic valve to which a balloon is attached; with the correct technique it allows you to drain your tubes somewhat. Sounds a little disgusting and is likely to elicit some strange looks from your partner, but since I have started using it every morning (takes about 30 seconds) I have had no problems with my eustachian tubes at all, except for when in the grips of a bad cold.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Have this on rare occasion, as long as it its not ringing etc. Sometimes a bad nights sleep with head at a strange angle on pillow (nerves in neck getting compressed), stress levels, coffee, booze can make this happen. Slight twitching that comes and goes on very rare occasion I think is fairly normal. If it persists get down to see your trusted ENT professional. (We could all do this more, we have the $$$ for kit but ears are all!) Sometimes excessive earwax build up can cause onset of minor ear issues.

Chances are it is a temporary thing.

I also use Earol a couple of times a month, purified olive oil, just keeps things moist and helps avoid wax buildup.

After reading that Dave Collins carries ear plugs on keyring I got one as well.

They are not comfortable and FR is pants, but I go for Honeywell Max earplugs for festivals etc. and stand well back
and take more chill time in low SPL areas. I have adapted to hear music like this outdoors so don't bother with tailored response ones. I groove with the bass and lower mid/mids : )
Old 2 weeks ago
Audio Alchemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
My symptoms, when I got the spasms, was an ear ache and full feeling in my left ear. Some antibiotics from my doctor and a week later all symptoms were gone.!
If it comes back and you're also feeling slightly dizzy, it could be labyrinthitis.

Not necessarily dangerous and no permanent damage (unless it's bacterial, in which case you need treatment).

Labyrinthitis usually happens on one ear only and comes suddenly. Reduced high end, warm feeling, headache, maybe dizziness when walking.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Never ignore any symptoms, especially if they persist. In our line of work we are constantly hearing things other don't. We have created neural pathways that other just may not have developed, blood supply is most likely greater to our ears. (This is what I tell myself as I have these fast growing 2 hairs on one lobe) One useful thing is often car problems are heard first before any other symptoms, vibes man.. through steering, pedals, whirring, injection system whine, knocks, rattles, belt sounds etc.

You hear things from afar outside in nature and in urban environments, at night at home etc. that others don't. I think the effects of stress and booze/caffeine/medicines can be accentuated. And when something is of concern it can loop round, stress = more twitching, more twitching = stress and so on.

Sensitive and super honed ears are.. well.... just that... very sensitive and not just to music.

As long as 97pct of the time all it well and settled and there are not acute issues or obvious causes then probably resting up/resolving stressful daily life issues and getting some deep sleep will help.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagerfeldt View Post
If it comes back and you're also feeling slightly dizzy, it could be labyrinthitis.

Not necessarily dangerous and no permanent damage (unless it's bacterial, in which case you need treatment).

Labyrinthitis usually happens on one ear only and comes suddenly. Reduced high end, warm feeling, headache, maybe dizziness when walking.

My ENT mentioned that as well. Always good to talk to your doctor especially when our ears are a very important, maybe even the most important, when we are doing mastering. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I have severe vertigo at times. I’ve been in physical therapy for it several times. Worse case I had was 3 months straight... try working with the computer screen spinning around your head. lol. So I’ve done my share of researching the ear and inner ear to brain mechanism. Positional vertigo is the most common, when. Crystal in the inner ear gets dislodged and floats. I’ve had that happen in all three rings. Horizontal, vertical and diagonal. Two years ago I had a tree branch fall on me and that knocked my rings out of alignment from left ear to right ear. It took months of physical therapy to get them back in line.

Glad you are going to the doctors as this is something you do not want to let go for long. Especially if it’s an inner ear infection.

Anyway drugs, alcohol, salt and sex all effect the inner ear. You may need to go on a low sodium diet. You may need to cut down on alcohol. As for the sex thing, it usually only occurs right after sex and is temporary. My left ear cuts out for about a minute every time. Funny how the body works.

Best of luck at resolving this issue. Ear related issues and our profession do not go hand in hand.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

Yes, Labyrinthitis, meniere’s disease and vertigo all can affect you similarly. Dizzy to spinning feeling... just awful stuff.
Old 2 weeks ago
Audio Alchemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertone View Post
Anyway drugs, alcohol, salt and sex all effect the inner ear. You may need to go on a low sodium diet. You may need to cut down on alcohol. As for the sex thing, it usually only occurs right after sex and is temporary. My left ear cuts out for about a minute every time. Funny how the body works.
Alcohol definitely affects hearing, and potentially long term.

As for sex, usually the mucus membranes in the nose, the sinuses and the eustachian tubes are more likely to be open after climaxing, for about 30 seconds to a minute. Involuntary response, just like the curling of your toes.

Most people experience the opposite, i.e. it should un-clog your ears, although it could be offset due to heat and swelling from the hemodynamics. I.e. take it easy in bed, haha.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Thanks man, luckily for me it only happens 2 to 3 times a day these days... lol

It’s funny as I’ve always gone temporarily deaf in my left ear since I started at age 14 at around age 20 I read something as to why it was happening.

Once I got severe vertigo I really looked into the different causes and cures.

BTW, vertigo can just come on with age... something some of you GS have to look forward too. Aging blows!

Have fun now everybody!

Quote:
Alcohol definitely affects hearing, and potentially long term.

As for sex, usually the mucus membranes in the nose, the sinuses and the eustachian tubes are more likely to be open after climaxing, for about 30 seconds to a minute. Involuntary response, just like the curling of your toes.

Most people experience the opposite, i.e. it should un-clog your ears, although it could be offset due to heat and swelling from the hemodynamics. I.e. take it easy in bed, haha.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search