The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Audirvana 3+ player vs the others
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Audirvana 3+ player vs the others

Hello everyone,

I 'm currently trying this player since few days called " Audirvana 3+ ". I try to compare it with others players like " Vox " and i think there is a sonic difference, like it's a little less distorted. But i don't know if it's a placebo effect or not

Are there people who use it ? What do you think about it ?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirito View Post
Hello everyone,

I 'm currently trying this player since few days called " Audirvana 3+ ". I try to compare it with others players like " Vox " and i think there is a sonic difference, like it's a little less distorted. But i don't know if it's a placebo effect or not

Are there people who use it ? What do you think about it ?
I've compared Audirvana 3+ with a few other media players, including some fancier ones like Amarra, and I think it does clearly sound better. I think the deal is that it bypasses processing/mixing that happens in the OS, or DAW, and doesn't let other applications use the memory and CPU. It's definitely not adding anything, but seems just slightly less degraded than other ones.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

I messed with Audirvana some years ago. I was blown away by the playback quality at the time, and so even though it was kind of clunky and buggy, I plopped down $70 on it-- by far the most expensive software media player I've ever bought. Then they made some update that made it so buggy that it was basically unusable. I wrote them plenty of e-mails pointing out all the bugs, and after months without them fixing anything, I decided to ask for a refund.

Long story short, they wouldn't refund me. They only wanted to assure me the bugs would be fixed, or that there weren't any actual bugs-- they didn't want to hear nothing about a refund. I never got it. The software stopped working due to all the crippling bugs combined with Mac OS updates-- it literally stopped being able to play back audio without immediate glitch outs.

Nowadays I use Fidelia. Much cheaper, sounds *almost* as good, never crashes, no bugs. Great software.

It's tough to find good media players these days. Most aren't even capable of smooth gapless playback.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Oh bad story ;/ i think they lower the price a little bit now.

And for the demo i didn't found many bugs. Just the random playlist fonction doesnt really work, always come back to same songs ;/ which is pretty annoying.

Now i'm still using vox but i suspect a little distorsion from it. It's something i didn't feel with Audirvana
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

I compared again... Ok i'm done with Vox music sounds much more natural and pleasant with Audirvana. Just wish they could do a video player to watch movie with this quality
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirito View Post
I compared again... Ok i'm done with Vox music sounds much more natural and pleasant with Audirvana. Just wish they could do a video player to watch movie with this quality
try Elmedia for video.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
I've used Audirvana and Amarra for almost a decade. Audirvana does sound great. In the past, Amarra even used to offer an optimization script similar to Audirvana Plus's optimization options that would disable even more after the computer restart. It'd sometimes get tough as Amarra would start sounding better, but Audirvana would be more stable and easier to use. In the end I stuck with Audirvana and had ditched Amarra. I still have Amarra SQ+ for streaming stuff that I might use from time to time. For the past few years, I've ditched my regular computer for playback and instead use a Bryston BDP-1 outputting AES to my DAC. If you think Audirvana on a computer can sound good, wait till you try a well optimized machine built from the ground up with optimized Linux OS and low noise linear power supplies and extremely low jitter. It was an entire step above what Amarra or Audirvana on any regular computer with any tweaks or USB line filter could offer.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
For anyone who likes simple, BitPerfect launches and just works with your iTunes library/interface.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search