The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Weezer drops new album, nightmare?!
Old 3 weeks ago
Weezer drops new album, nightmare?!

How can this go out in 2019?

I can't believe the snare in the first track Africa. sounds like a demo.
There is weird LOUD cymbal resonance a 1m23.

the track is so disturbing on may levels! ( close to the original yet butchered guitars, weird mix, dirty master?) why would you do that?

Sweet Dreams, almost identical as the original. Voice still tucked in, ugly loud snare? why ?!

Take on Me. same as the original but lame voice, cheap synth. could be the demo of the original.

Stand by me ? last track, kill me now.

I'm quite a big fan of Weezer. Even "Everything Will Be Alright In the End (2014)", I was expecting, meh what could they be about now in 2014?
Well they were badass, LOUD but punchy rock record, edgy, greats songs, great sequencing, catchy lyrics, that's such a cool album. When I try to mix ou master "loud" I always go back to this album and think: I could never deliver Tom Lord Alge's loudness AND preserve natural / organic style. He knows his craft.

The whole band too, and the compositions are great.

So here we are in 2019, Queen is a vague fantasy from the past, and Weezer is a needy cover band, with the top guns in the industry agreeing on "lame snare, too loud" " crushed master with sizzling highs."

SO Sad! thankfully there is Tiny Desk, and news comers like Knower, Anderson Paak, Monica Martin, Hiatus Kaiyote, Jorja Smith etc. this should be on the radio, but the FEAR, I only hear conformism and fear on the radio.
Queen is sorely missed !

Last edited by DownSideUp; 3 weeks ago at 10:01 PM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Well, based on the video, it’s obviously a parody... maybe the entire album is a parody..
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceman View Post
Well, based on the video, it’s obviously a parody... maybe the entire album is a parody..
humor is when you nonetheless laugh?
this version on the other hand is really amusing to me

YouTube

a new level of nightmare...
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

I kinda like the snare. I haven't cared much for anything from Weezer since the 90's. Maybe they don't either...
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by teebaum View Post

YouTube

Geeeeezz ... he must've been drunk or somethin' ... absolutely unforgivable to show up like this. I saw him with Toto, he sang great. this on the other hand is a pain. very surprised to tell you the truth. thanks for posting. you learn somethin' new every day.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastervargas View Post
Geeeeezz ... he must've been drunk or somethin' ... absolutely unforgivable to show up like this. I saw him with Toto, he sang great. this on the other hand is a pain. very surprised to tell you the truth. thanks for posting. you learn somethin' new every day.
it is also a bit unfair - some really good singers require excellent monitoring
Old 3 weeks ago
Bobby Kimball there, it's so sad. Very hard to explain too, outch !

As for Weezer, I don't see the comedy. Who will ? Millenials? this is bland, and they don't know Weezer so the irony is not working. Anyone older is wondering what the hell they are doing with audio, compare to Toto (mix, drumming, snare, mastering) , and why this is so close yet "supermarkety" and not fun. brings nothing.

At least John Mayer went deep into the 80's cheap car add style for good and fun because it's the trend (but too late, and with no spin on it and most crucial with a weak song). I hate his song in that genre (his far worst) but at least the concept works, fashionable. comedy 80's pop.

The Weezer album is meant to be listened anyway but all the song are weird and plain! very strange.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

I recorded a "Fake" album over a couple of days and nights for a relatively big American artist years ago. He wanted to have it "leak" over social media in the lead up to his actual studio album launch which was already hyped up among his fanbase. It was well received actually but a lot of fans were like "what the f**k is THIS????"

So it did it's job and got people talking. It was funny too.

I'd say they're just having fun with this Teal album. For a start, they're dressed up like the blokes off Miami Vice in the promo shots.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

The real problem is that you are actually aware that Weezer put out a new album.

Old 3 weeks ago
The real problem is that I was made aware on social media by one of the most in demand mastering engineer, I didn't expect this at all nor the actual master. I can't explain any connection to art/music/ or engineering in this album.

I don't have TV, radio, maybe I should unfollow even the most gifted engineers in the world!
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Davis View Post
I recorded a "Fake" album over a couple of days and nights for a relatively big American artist years ago. He wanted to have it "leak" over social media in the lead up to his actual studio album launch which was already hyped up among his fanbase. It was well received actually but a lot of fans were like "what the f**k is THIS????"

So it did it's job and got people talking. It was funny too.

I'd say they're just having fun with this Teal album. For a start, they're dressed up like the blokes off Miami Vice in the promo shots.
Thanks for the feedback! I think that's what they go for here.
It's just weak. and late for the Miami Vice style ( done since 10 years now)

How do you master "Irony album" ? same as the other pancake chief!

Wait til the irony album sells twice their "art" album.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by teebaum View Post

YouTube

Then there is next level Nightmare

My personal favorite version because its how I would sound at karaoke!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I just laughed at that until it hurt. That wins my day on the web.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by polybonk View Post

My personal favorite version because its how I would sound at karaoke!
when you want your enemy not ever recovering at the hospital, you bring this in mp3 , 128. fatal !
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by polybonk View Post
Epically, excruciatingly hilarious!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I hate to spring this on all of you bashing this track - but it is a huge hit - #1 on Billboard.

Weezer's 'Africa' Cover Hits No. 1 on Rock Airplay Chart | Billboard

Weezer Scores First Alternative Songs No. 1 in 10 Years With Cover of Toto's 'Africa' | Billboard

So apparently CONSUMERS (who you ultimately work for) don't care about all the audio "flaws".

Maybe you should study this a bit...

Last edited by Nonlinear; 2 weeks ago at 05:34 PM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I mean, come on, it's Weird Al Yankovic who is singing on the main track, while doing an accordeon solo and dancing like an electrocuted chicken ....If that doesn't scream "parody", I don't know what does ( Not that I found it particularly funny, but that's what they're aiming for ).
Anyone who is old enough to have known Weird Al Yankovic parodies of Michael Jackson , Nirvana, Boy George etc.. dominating the charts at MTV during the 80's and 90's would see the references.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I'm telling you, Weezer just hasn't been as good since Matt Sharp left...
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonlinear View Post
I hate to spring this on all of you bashing this track - but it is a huge hit - #1 on Billboard.

Weezer's 'Africa' Cover Hits No. 1 on Rock Airplay Chart | Billboard

Weezer Scores First Alternative Songs No. 1 in 10 Years With Cover of Toto's 'Africa' | Billboard

So apparently CONSUMERS (who you ultimately work for) don't care about all the audio "flaws".

Maybe you should study this a bit...
study this

Africa is number one again? despite the pseudo comic- demo-ish sound. What a surprise! that's just an excellent song/arrangement and Weezer didn't dare to modify it ( just trash the sound, and hire a comedian for the video), pure business.

Same as Puff Daddy covering Every breath you Take, here French people loved it "first degree" and kids discovered the song that way, DESPITE the dude mumbling in a foreign language on the verses.
People reminisce or discover Africa, a great song.

Very VERY bad covers that still rank good because of an absolute masterpiece of original is a bad trend that probably started in the 90s, even if there are other examples way before that. but then it got cheap and cold.

But before, even Chic loved the rap version of Good Times.
Old 2 weeks ago
BTW, I first started the thread as a music lover listening to Weezer on Spotify. I get it now, the strategy, the clip the irony, the money.

But sound wise, music wise in 2019, without context the album is total WTF!

Now still as a music lover, composer, I wish that bands like Knower get their share of radio play. Massively original, crazy, hilarious and super honest at the same time, unbelievable. Those bands are what Red Hot Chili Pepper were in the 80's expect they will stay a niche because mainstream is too busy with products and weak pop.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownSideUp View Post
study this

Africa is number one again? despite the pseudo comic- demo-ish sound. What a surprise! that's just an excellent song/arrangement and Weezer didn't dare to modify it ( just trash the sound, and hire a comedian for the video), pure business.

Same as Puff Daddy covering Every breath you Take, here French people loved it "first degree" and kids discovered the song that way, DESPITE the dude mumbling in a foreign language on the verses.
People reminisce or discover Africa, a great song.

Very VERY bad covers that still rank good because of an absolute masterpiece of original is a bad trend that probably started in the 90s, even if there are other examples way before that. but then it got cheap and cold.

But before, even Chic loved the rap version of Good Times.
I believe Weezer covered "Africa" as a tribute. Toto reciprocated by covering "Hash Pipe".

When I said "study this" I meant the result. It may not be an audiophile quality recording but the listening public loves it.

Last edited by Nonlinear; 2 weeks ago at 01:49 AM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonlinear View Post
I believe Weezer covered "Africa" as a tribute. Toto reciprocated by covering "Hash Pipe".

When I said "study this" I meant the result. It may not be an audiophile quality recording but the listening public loves it.
I acknowledge you can be No1 covering Africa. Tribute is a big word to use when you hear the result, the drumming is disastrous and the sound horrible, singing is super weird and depressed. Tribute? I'd call it sarcastic commercial move disguised as "humour".

I'm stunt by pop music, when there are so many diamonds for example on Tiny Desk. anyway good for them !

Last edited by DownSideUp; 2 weeks ago at 12:50 PM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

The Weezer version was painful to listen to in the chorus. Damn. So distorted. The snare among other things absolutely vanished!
Terrible.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search