The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
ISRC Question
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
ISRC Question

I haven't been provided yet as the album is still in the mix stage. The artist currently is only considering online distribution.

When I'm ready to send him the mastered .wav files, do I need to embed the isrc's in the files (with the free sonoris software)?

Cause he started his own company and won't be using aggrigators like cdbaby etc. , will upload everything on itunes, spotify etc. himself so I wonder where my responsibility ends as the mastering engineer.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I don't think embedding ISRCs in the wave files will be of much help to your client because the codes will not automatically remain when the files are converted to download/streaming formats.

My understanding is that he will have to manually submit all metadata info to each music site so that they can embed it when they convert to their delivery formats, and he can simply include the ISRC codes when he does that. So I would not consider it my responsibility to embed ISRCs into waves.

I'm not a music distributor, just a knob twiddler, so someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Same, have been asked to add ISRCs to .wav files maybe once, and as Trakworx said, it often won't be carried over if other files are generated from those.

So, I will do it if asked, but don't consider it a regular part of my job. Submission of meta-data to aggregators is a label's (or artist's) responsibility, IMO.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search