The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tape based artifacts in the Boston album Boston Equalisers (HW)
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Tape based artifacts in the Boston album Boston

Not sure if this is the best place for this question.

On track #2 , #4 and #7 of the Boston album on the first version CD and on the later high resolution remastering (which supposedly Tom Scholz did using the two channel master tapes) are some curious bleeps. Attaching a spectrogram to illustrate.

You see V-shaped sweeps that start at 22 khz in the CD, sweep down to 18 khz and then back up to 22 khz. Each one lasts about 600 milliseconds. There are several here and there with no other apparent rhyme or reason.

Here on Youtube is what appears to be a similar effect from errant bias of a cassette tape machine. If you start the tape, bias does this v-shaped sweep before settling down. So I wondered if such a thing was happening to the bias in some tape machine Tom Scholz was using back when the Boston album was originally done. So these bleeps would be edit points or punch in points.

Video of the cassette tape linked here.
YouTube

I thought maybe someone in the mastering field might recognize what these are and what caused them.
Attached Thumbnails
Tape based artifacts in the Boston album Boston-boston-track-4.jpg  
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict
Great stuff shouldn't alway be remixed or remastered (and Hi_Res isn't always better).
To me it looks like some elektronics (capacitor or converter) sweeping there, but no worries, no one can hear it.
I was so glad the old ZZ Top stuf came out as original LP mixes, so mutch better.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT64 View Post
Great stuff shouldn't alway be remixed or remastered (and Hi_Res isn't always better).
To me it looks like some elektronics (capacitor or converter) sweeping there, but no worries, no one can hear it.
I was so glad the old ZZ Top stuf came out as original LP mixes, so mutch better.
But in fact someone did hear something. Investigated and found these where they heard something. Not me, my ears are too old.

The same thing is in the very first Epic CD version, and the later 96 khz versions. The latter was said to have come directly from the old tapes. I take it the effect is on the tape, and not a digital issue.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by esldude View Post
But in fact someone did hear something. Investigated and found these where they heard something. Not me, my ears are too old.
Well, at least someone claimed to have heard something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esldude View Post
The same thing is in the very first Epic CD version, and the later 96 khz versions. The latter was said to have come directly from the old tapes. I take it the effect is on the tape, and not a digital issue.
You are right that this 'pulse' is present on all digital versions of those songs.
But not on the analog LP which is made from the old master tapes to I assume.
So perhaps when digitalizing the tapes something went wrong.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT64 View Post
Well, at least someone claimed to have heard something.

You are right that this 'pulse' is present on all digital versions of those songs.
But not on the analog LP which is made from the old master tapes to I assume.
So perhaps when digitalizing the tapes something went wrong.
Have you checked the LP for this? I don't know as I no longer have the LP.

Scholz said he used analog tapes when he remastered the 96 khz version. It has the same blips in the same place as the first CD. The YouTube link shows an errant bias oscillater that creates the same kind of artifact. So I'm not sure it's a digital glitch.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Looks like possibly modulation (tape wow?) of a side band of the bias signal that got through the A-D conversion.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict
This is the HiRes 2000 Remaster version:

And here same part but from the 1976 Vinyl:

I'm guessing aliasing.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Looks like a flock of seagulls to me
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
dunno about the artifacts but i remember hearing boston live: the live mix easily qualified for one of the worst three mixes i ever encountered... mainly cymbals and snare, upper register of electric guitar, some vocals drowned in a sea of ugly reverb on a setting way too big/long. there was an organ in some songs but i couldn't hear it, same for the the bass.

the opening act was brilliant though: ronnie montrose/brian auger outperformed boston in any regard!
Old 3 weeks ago
I hear some toms distorting. Not as bad as the Eagles "Take It Easy" but audible. Not many AE's figured out the transients of drums vs the VU meter readings back then.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search