The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Switching between converters without a switcher/router? Mastering Console
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear
Switching between converters without a switcher/router?

Hi friends,

I have a question seeking your wisdom ;-)

How do you setup your mastering chain to most easily switch between converters.

Say you have A) Lynx Hilo and an B) UA converter. You want to listen to the differences of just the converter before you proceed with your analog chain.

How do you set it up, if you don't like working with a mastering "switcher" or "router". Is there another clever idea?

Thanks for your thoughts!
Peace
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

While I use WaveLab to finalize masters, I use REAPER for the analog play/capture process because of how flexible it is in general, and for stuff like this.

In my REAPER session I have a source track where all the unmastered songs are loaded. This track is simultaneously sent to TWO stereo outputs on my RME AES card and the AES connections are connected to my two converters. Outputs 3-4 are my HEDD Quantum and outputs 5-6 are my Prism Lyra 2.

Then on my Dangerous Master which has two stereo inputs for things like this, I can toggle with the press of a button which converter goes on to feed my analog chain. It's an instant A/B comparison.

Then, the Dangerous Master output can also feed two A/D converters at the same time so I have one stereo output of the Dangerous Master feeding my HEDD Quantum input, and the other output feeding my Lyra 2 input.

On my RME AES card, inputs 3-4 are the HEDD, and inputs 5-6 are the Lyra 2.

On my record track in REAPER, I have a script that will seamlessly toggle which A/D converter I am listening to and I can decide which one to use for a particular song or project.

The record track is of course routed to the master output of REAPER which is output 1-2 of the AES card for monitoring on my Avocet IIA. This is how I hear what I'm doing.

Side note: I also have a duplicate of my source tracks (but without any plugins inserted) going to outputs 7-8 of my RME card and on my Avocet, I can seamlessly toggle between the fully unmastered version and the processed version.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
if not using several of my desk's i/o's as inserts, i'm using an aes splitter to go to serveral pieces of gear; the outputs of the splitter go to a xlr-patchbay - analog and digital outputs of all gear goes back into a mixing console.
Old 2 days ago
If you're not scared about going DIY, you could easily make yourself a lil box doing to select between two inputs (out of DA) going to the chain and then an other box to select between two output (in of the AD) to capture it back.
There is different approach to do that, the simplest would be with relay switch or with a rotary switch (like a 1 deck 4 pole elma)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search