The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Vintage Multiband Compressor for Mastering
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Vintage Multiband Compressor for Mastering

Hi,

I do not need a Multiband Compressor very often, and i also know modern units like the Tube Tech SMC2BM.

I was just wondering if there are also units from the 70s or 80s for that job?
It seems that multiband compression back than was mostly used for broadcasting and not really in the studio?

I found the Inovonics 231 for example.
This is an 8 Band Multiband Compressor from the 70s and you can link 2 for stereo.

Do you think this thing would also be suitable for mastering?
or is there something else?

Or is it in this case simply better to get something like the tube tech smc-2bm i mentioned above?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I think the Texar was the first commercial unit. It was meant for broadcast and has internal trimmers to adjust the parameters. It was meant as a set and forget box. It would be unwieldy in mastering. Like a modern broadcast processor would be unwieldy.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Yeah, I don't think there are any vintage multi-band compressors (I could be wrong). It seems very much a modern thing. None of my fave sounding albums ever came near one. That tells me all I need to know.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

So what exactly do you mean with "unwieldy"?
Do you mean its unpracticable to use with the knobs inside? or do you mean its simply not good for mastering purposes by what it does to the signal going through?

I mean you can mod those things or you can simply buy this with front panel controls:
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_ View Post
I mean you can mod those things or you can simply buy this with front panel controls:
If you can integrate a Texar Prism to be suitable to your workflow I’d go for it. They sound good.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Does the Inovonics 231 also sound good? does anyone know maybe? Because you would not have to mod this one and 2 can get stereo linked.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I can't speak to the sound quality of that unit but I would feel very constrained by those 8 fixed frequency/bandwidth choices. Modern designs have continuously variable crossovers giving you much more control.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

But its way cheaper you can get 2 for about 2000€
A new Multiband Compressor costs about 5500€.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

^^^I'm sure if you just explain that to a mix with a resonance that falls just between those bands then it will understand...
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Thats right, i almost think in this case its really better to go for something new.
A Tube Tech SMC-2BM for example is also way smaller in the rack as 2 Inovonics 231.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search