The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Compressor partner for the Vertigo VSC-2 Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

Compressor partner for the Vertigo VSC-2

Looking for a compressor to pair with (like a yin and yang) my lovely VSC-2. I have had both Foote Compressors (lovely boxes but never got on with the knee of either unit), a pair of Titans, and an Avalon 747 (that I sometimes miss for its tube path).

Vari-mu, opto, vca, pwm....no restrictions.

Thanks!
Old 6 days ago
Thermionic Culture Phoenix mastering edition is very good and could complement your Vertigo VCA
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

What determines 'complimentary' status with compressors? Just curious.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternalsound View Post
What determines 'complimentary' status with compressors? Just curious.
Two that can be used together well as a pair, for synergystic tone or dynamic control. Or, two which help alone but in totally different scenarios.

All good compressors generally have a versatile range of parameters but some excel at adding punch, others glue, some at bounce or rhythm-enhancing release, while some bring almost undetectable action but noticeably improved stability. As for tone and image some make things wider or smoother, some sink the music further back into the speakers, some add a kind of vintage vibe with subdued highs and thicker bottom, some add a kind of hi-fi sheen from their transformers and tubes or opamp circuitry, etc.

In this case the Vertigo is relatively clean and great at snappy and punchy compression, sort of like a classier luxury SSL bus comp. A totally different topology or tone makes good sense as a complimentary tool so there wouldn't be too much overlap.

There are of course no rules but a vari-mu or optical type could offer something very different, and these two types in particular are offering behavior and tone still superior to software options.

A lot of options come to mind, depending on taste and budget:

Airfield Liminator 2, Hendyamps Pollock, Handcrafted Labs Varis or Islander, Knif Vari Mu, IGS or Thermionic Culture vari-mu types, UTA UnFairchild... Foote P4 but you already tried...
Old 6 days ago
Gear Nut

Diode bridge
Thickness, roundness, weight, softness, warmth, color
For some it's too much, but not for me, very usable today in mastering by the digital sound of several productions
It's the opposite of what you already have
I like the Vintagedesign / tk VDC, class A, 3 Carnhill transformers per channel, hp filter up to 250 hz, parallel compression, stepped controls, the HF switch increases the high frequencies with 2dB, affecting both the output signal and the signal that feeds the side chain, the AIR switch increases the high frequencies in the compressed signal by 2 dB
It is also pretty
Others are the Vintech 609, vintagedesign CL1, Bae 10dc and of course the Neve 2254
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bichop View Post
Diode bridge
You beat me to it! Buzz DBC-M would also work.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bichop View Post
Diode bridge

Others are the Vintech 609, vintagedesign CL1, Bae 10dc and of course the Neve 2254
Also the Chandler LTD-2s (all discrete design, and based on the 2254).
I've found that these, or the Crane Song STC-8, or Manley Vari-mu, can partner the VSC-2 perfectly on some projects, while rarely entering actual gain reduction in any one of them.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

I use my VSC-2 with both Foote and Pom Fairchild and I find them working great together and very flexible.
I also have a maselec mla-4 which is used mainly as dynamic eq when needed rather than like a real compressor.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowland View Post
You beat me to it! Buzz DBC-M would also work.

Since it's been mentioned, I should say I have one, mint and available if he's interested.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search