The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Converters - again.... And monitor controllers. Monitor Controllers
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Converters - again.... And monitor controllers.

Hi guys!

Happy new year to all!

I'm about to pull the trigger on a grace M905 monitor controller for my home studio.

Do you guys have experience with it? How does it compare to the usual suspects: Dangerous monitor ST and Crane Song Avocet IIa?

And, more specifically, what do you think of the DAC?

I have heard all sorts of things and I wonder how it compares to my reference DAC, the Weiss DAC 202.

Thanks in advance!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I'm slightly curious too. I have an Avocet IIA for my main room because I truly love the DAC built into it but I must admit that the Grace has nicer features and ergonomics.

That, combined with the fact that Crane Song seems to be massively back ordered means I might pick up a Grace m905 for my b room which is basically my home setup for doing prep work and light duty mastering type work.

I don't like the Dangerous ST design because I like having the monitor controller also be the DAC like the Avocet and Grace. With these two units I can have a handful of digital inputs from my computer for various things and they can all be sent out of one nice DAC without hassle. The Dangerous ST seems way too limited and then the DAC is traveling through more analog gear before hitting your amps and/or speakers.
Old 1 week ago
I can't comment on the DAC or the other monitor controllers on the list, but I have the M905 analog and it is a wonderful tool. It is so intuitive to use and the attention to detail in the UI, ease of tweaking and setup, etc. are fantastic. The built-in SPL meter is super handy and the headphone amp is top notch. I feel like they checked off every mark on what an ideal monitor controller would be. I might add the DAC card at some point in the future, but love that I am able to defer the DAC decision down the line when I'm ready to take it on. In terms of workflow and ergonomics and operator pleasure, don't think you can really go wrong with it.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Thank you for your review!
Much appreciated!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Don't forget Crookwood. Very happy with my 2 x DAC, 1 x ADC, routing, VU, monitor controller mad machine over the last eight years.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search