The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Your go-to mastering EQ plugin
Old 20th January 2019
Lives for gear

For what I consider surgical eq..super narrow Q's, plus transparency have you considered Massenburgs MDWEQ? The GUI is a bit funky, but to tame something bothering, it works for me.

ProQ2 /3 I cant get quite the same results.
Old 20th January 2019
Gear Nut

Eq I use for mastering :
BA Magpha Eq
AlexB Massive Mix Eq ( Nebula )
Avalon AD 2055 emulation ( Nebula N4 )
TDR Nova ( not GE ain't no gentleman)
Fabfilter ProQ 3
Eq i would like to use for mastering : Vertigo VSE-2
Eq i can't use but would have liked to use for mastering : UAD Curve Bender
Best Eq for mastering : Send it to a mastering engineer

P.S. i don't know why the signature still shows in my posts after i removed it a hundred times
Old 25th January 2019
***EDIT***

Removed long ranting post.

Will post again, in a bit, with massive amounts of non-linear, resonant, and brickwall types of filters..
Old 25th January 2019
Lives for gear

@ theMuzzl3 can't you ONCE post less than this?
Old 25th January 2019
Deleted 691ca21
Yeah, no need to over think it. Find one or two digi EQs that work for you, and use them. Can't believe he has really tried all the analogue emulations against the real things either. Some people just need more filters, and I'm not talking about the audio kind...
Old 25th January 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAudioBot View Post
@ theMuzzl3 can't you ONCE post less than this?
Haha! Should I edit it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermetech Mastering View Post
Yeah, no need to over think it. Find one or two digi EQs that work for you, and use them. Can't believe he has really tried all the analogue emulations against the real things either. Some people just need more filters, and I'm not talking about the audio kind...
U mean me??? As in, stop ranting?

I'll edit it...
Old 25th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMuzzl3 View Post
Haha! Should I edit it?
Cut! Cut! Cut!
Old 26th January 2019
My suggestions:

TDR Slick EQ M + Nova GE = cost effective, and can handle mostly everything.
Or:
DMG EQuilibrium = best "all in one static EQ," but we need dynamic EQ.
***ALWAYS*** slap AirWindows uLaw encode/decode around your EQ plugins, in every mastering chain.

My go-to', recently (will be possibly changing soon):
AirWindows Hermepass
Ozone 8 EQ and dynamic EQ (mostly subtractive, early in chain)
Kush Clariphonic MKII (looking for replacement, shelving boosts, later in chain)
(2) TDR Nova's, GE (1 in sum, 1 in diff... before limiters)

One's that I occasionally use:
Maag EQ4 (with or without Kush, +0.5 boost at 40 kHz, sometimes lowered with REAPER ammount %).
Various other AirWindows EQ's or "EQ types of things," can be useful in specific cases; but are experimental.

Some of the ones that I no longer use:
fabfilter Pro-Q 2 (CPU, linear issues)
DMG Limitless (CPU, haven't relearned it well enough since losing my mac)
Waves H-EQ (great HPF, WAY better than Pro-Q 2 or other linear HPF's)
Waves Linear EQ (lowband & regular... ahhh, the good ol' 2012 days)

Some of the one's that I'll be testing:
Balance Magpha, possibly vs. Vertigosound VSE-2 and Focusright RED 2
TDR Slick M vs. DMG EQuilibrium vs. Crave EQ (maybe)
Various dynamic EQ's with "learn" functions, and other "AI" types of EQ's:
Sonnox Oxford Dynamic EQ, fabfilter Pro-Q 3, Voxengo GlisEQ, several other dynamic EQ's, *Sonible SmartEq2*, DDMF IIEQ Pro, toneboosters eq4, MAutodynamicEQ, sound magic neo masteringQ, and bitsonic godlike
Eiosis AirEQ Premium

I wish I had access to testing:
Soundtheory Gullfoss (probably currently leads the AI stuff), Weiss DS1 (not EQ), and Leapwing DynOne & CenterOne

My questions:
Does fabfilter Pro-Q 3 have smart filtering, to tame disadvantages of linear EQ? Or, does it have the same issues as Pro-Q 2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by biksonije View Post
Cut! Cut! Cut!
Is this post still too long for all of you grouches?!?!? .... read on, if you want my shortened rants.

My thoughts/opinions:
EQ's with various types of AI (Gullfoss, SmartEQ2) are the future, but they need further development. Where we are headed: Auto-inteligently-self-adjusting-in-real-time & smart-filter-adjusting-for-linear-mode types of EQ's for precise transparency, with dependency on user based adjustments, and features within the top ones listed here...
Additionally, several EQ plugins that have "learn" type of features are a useful addition to ears and eyes.
Linear EQ with no adjustable or self-adjusting filtering systems have issues (linear HPF's blow); and should be used with dyanmic behavior, in moderation, and on higher frequencies (ex: Ozone's MA uses 20 ms attack on high-shelf cuts, to preserve transients).
Broad, smooth, and subtle is ideal for all static mastering EQ. Linear -> cuts, and "analog" or "character" types -> additive.
Surgical cutting goes overboard very quickly, should be done with a dynamic EQ... and, IMHO "less sharp + smaller cuts + less often" = best solution. Cutting in 1 spot often leads to requiring cuts in 1-2 other spots.
If you use a HPF, then also LPF it. I prefer only using high and low shelves, because I feel that inaudible frequencies often effect the quality of the audible spectrum in a beneficial way.

My plan:
Replace Kush Clarophonic MKII (mostly "silk" boost (34 kHz) and "sheen" (8 kHz). Suggestions? Aphex Aural Exciter? Volko Q3D? DMG EQuilibrium with settings to mimic MKII?

Use AI & "learning" plugins, compare them, then pick my favorites; and then possibly use other plugins that "sound better," or "have intelligent filtering for linear EQ," to mimic their suggestions & adjust by ear.
Compare as many of them as I can. Give the "tossed out" ones 2nd chances, in the future, and determine if/when the "better plugin" is dependent on source material.
Instead of always using the CPU hogging DMG EQuilibrium types of "all-in-one" tools, go for ones that save on CPU, use less math, and only do the things that are needed.
Probably use 2-4 EQ plugins on most mastering chains, because I feel that certain EQ adjustments are needed before/after other tools.
Old 26th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
My suggestions:

TDR Slick EQ M + Nova GE = cost effective, and can handle mostly everything.
Or:
DMG EQuilibrium = best "all in one static EQ," but we need dynamic EQ.
***ALWAYS*** slap AirWindows uLaw encode/decode around your EQ plugins, in every mastering chain.

My go-to', recently (will be possibly changing soon):
AirWindows Hermepass
Ozone 8 EQ and dynamic EQ (mostly subtractive, early in chain)
Kush Clariphonic MKII (looking for replacement, shelving boosts, later in chain)
(2) TDR Nova's, GE (1 in sum, 1 in diff... before limiters)

One's that I occasionally use:
Maag EQ4 (with or without Kush, +0.5 boost at 40 kHz, sometimes lowered with REAPER ammount %).
Various other AirWindows EQ's or "EQ types of things," can be useful in specific cases; but are experimental.

Some of the ones that I no longer use:
fabfilter Pro-Q 2 (CPU, linear issues)
DMG Limitless (CPU, haven't relearned it well enough since losing my mac)
Waves H-EQ (great HPF, WAY better than Pro-Q 2 or other linear HPF's)
Waves Linear EQ (lowband & regular... ahhh, the good ol' 2012 days)

Some of the one's that I'll be testing:
Balance Magpha, possibly vs. Vertigosound VSE-2 and Focusright RED 2
TDR Slick M vs. DMG EQuilibrium vs. Crave EQ (maybe)
Various dynamic EQ's with "learn" functions, and other "AI" types of EQ's:
Sonnox Oxford Dynamic EQ, fabfilter Pro-Q 3, Voxengo GlisEQ, several other dynamic EQ's, *Sonible SmartEq2*, DDMF IIEQ Pro, toneboosters eq4, MAutodynamicEQ, sound magic neo masteringQ, and bitsonic godlike
Eiosis AirEQ Premium

I wish I had access to testing:
Soundtheory Gullfoss (probably currently leads the AI stuff), Weiss DS1 (not EQ), and Leapwing DynOne & CenterOne

My questions:
Does fabfilter Pro-Q 3 have smart filtering, to tame disadvantages of linear EQ? Or, does it have the same issues as Pro-Q 2?

Is this post still too long for all of you grouches?!?!? .... read on, if you want my shortened rants.

My thoughts/opinions:
EQ's with various types of AI (Gullfoss, SmartEQ2) are the future, but they need further development. Where we are headed: Auto-inteligently-self-adjusting-in-real-time & smart-filter-adjusting-for-linear-mode types of EQ's for precise transparency, with dependency on user based adjustments, and features within the top ones listed here...
Additionally, several EQ plugins that have "learn" type of features are a useful addition to ears and eyes.
Linear EQ with no adjustable or self-adjusting filtering systems have issues (linear HPF's blow); and should be used with dyanmic behavior, in moderation, and on higher frequencies (ex: Ozone's MA uses 20 ms attack on high-shelf cuts, to preserve transients).
Broad, smooth, and subtle is ideal for all static mastering EQ. Linear -> cuts, and "analog" or "character" types -> additive.
Surgical cutting goes overboard very quickly, should be done with a dynamic EQ... and, IMHO "less sharp + smaller cuts + less often" = best solution. Cutting in 1 spot often leads to requiring cuts in 1-2 other spots.
If you use a HPF, then also LPF it. I prefer only using high and low shelves, because I feel that inaudible frequencies often effect the quality of the audible spectrum in a beneficial way.

My plan:
Replace Kush Clarophonic MKII (mostly "silk" boost (34 kHz) and "sheen" (8 kHz). Suggestions? Aphex Aural Exciter? Volko Q3D? DMG EQuilibrium with settings to mimic MKII?

Use AI & "learning" plugins, compare them, then pick my favorites; and then possibly use other plugins that "sound better," or "have intelligent filtering for linear EQ," to mimic their suggestions & adjust by ear.
Compare as many of them as I can. Give the "tossed out" ones 2nd chances, in the future, and determine if/when the "better plugin" is dependent on source material.
Instead of always using the CPU hogging DMG EQuilibrium types of "all-in-one" tools, go for ones that save on CPU, use less math, and only do the things that are needed.
Probably use 2-4 EQ plugins on most mastering chains, because I feel that certain EQ adjustments are needed before/after other tools.
Do you see the point of naming almost every plugin out there and not making any point or conclusion after the fact? I mean, can you really ask (you are the OP, right?) the question and answer it by yourself and for yourself without any real answer? How do you do that? :-P

You are the best man! Keep it up! I love your posts man! Just love them. :-)

Best regards man and don't loose your hype my friend!!!

Sincerest regards,

Krešo

PS: Sorry, my bady you're not the OP here in this Thread! Honest mistake on my behalf...
Old 26th January 2019
Not sure if u r kidding or not, lolz.

I guess my point is that I don't think there is a best one, so I answered aspects that could imply an answer; and I answered with the logical string of 'more questions,' from my perspective.

But... Just 1 EQ plugin for mastering? Equilibrium, I guess... unless Pro-Q 3 fixed the linear issues with some form of addaptive filtering that we find in the ones that "sound better."

Maybe I love just stop posting, since I can't controlling myself.
Old 26th January 2019
Lives for gear

One go-to digital EQ.
One dynamic EQ.
One (or more) specific (vintage emu or something without frequency curve display or whatever different from a standard digi) EQ.

Be happy. Get to work.

Simple.
Old 26th January 2019
Lives for gear

Verified Member
People used "a single EQ" for decades/entire careers. So totally do able.

I use DMG for 95% of my EQ. So that's my advice!
Old 26th January 2019
Lives for gear
mine too.
Old 26th January 2019
Lives for gear

I recently added AlexB's S-432 EQ to my Mastering tools.

Probably the closest I'll get to a vintage [fully serviced] Sontec MES432C
Old 26th January 2019
Not saying that I disagree. Fast, simple, done. Best? Not always. Least amount of problems? Surely possible. Time management / knowing one tool very well / superiority in results / learning several tools in order to have a more solid over-all opinion... these things are not the same.

Me? I get bored. I try new things. I seek to compare. I seek to reach for various tools and learn when particular ones may or may not have the perfect flavor or frequency response. If I reach a conclusion, you all will hear about it.

When I lost my macbook pro, and lost my backups and license files, I had to rebuild (from scratch); and a friends' help allowed me to try all new things (starting with Ozone). This improved my system, a lot... where as, if I still was using waves linear eq... I'd be the same old classic engineer that gets stuck in a more narrow work flow with no experimenting or expanding.

But, still unsure of superiority of one vs. others. My opinion changes as I give each one a shot... speaking of which:

Tested fabfilter Pro-Q 3 (for me). I clearly and quickly determined that there are issues with the highest quality linear phase setting, with dynamic EQ for removing clutter (at least, in the low mids). Ozone 8 dynamic EQ, on digital, sounds better (to me).

EQuilibrium is what every one is saying, and I am being stubborn about wanting to learn it. HOFA seems like a gem. Gonna try out Melda, toneboosters and IIEQ... and some others.

Algorithms and filtering systems vary, and so does audio input. Also, "learn" features on various plugins are suggesting various curves, and none are the same. I'm on a quest to compare them, and then perhaps use several AI suggestive curves in combination with each other, within the plugin that has the best resulting sound quality (and to hopefully know when to use which one, depending on the song).

My biggest question is: what can replace Kush Clariphonic MKII?
Old 26th January 2019
I tried out HOFA, and my initial opinion is that it does not get mentioned nearly enough.
Old 27th January 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
I tried out HOFA, and my initial opinion is that it does not get mentioned nearly enough.
How does it compare to MAutoDynamicEQ by Melda?
Old 27th January 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgod View Post
How does it compare to MAutoDynamicEQ by Melda?
Haven't tested that one yet.

I'm leaning towards doing a particular uLaw experiment, while streaming live, before anything else.

In response to some recent replies, here is a good quote:

Originally Posted by audioguy_on_ca on cockos forums:
"It's arrogant to presume any single technique or tool will fix your issues, and it's lazy to not try all of the weapons in your arsenal when trying to slay a dragon. Brand XXX mic or instrument or plug-in or DAW is rarely the answer, and you'll see how unlikely it is to achieve the desired result using them if you don't know what it does, how it does it etc unless you have a foundation in the bare-bones basics/fundamentals."
Old 27th January 2019
Gear Addict

Surprised nobody use ValvEQ, its a great one, very smooth. Sometimes i put it on my master and do nothing , just for the color its amazing
Old 29th January 2019
Lives for gear

For corrective moves, I am finding that Newfangled Elevate(meant to say Equivocate) is really good at making a track sound balanced without sounding Eq'd.

Even in some instances the before sounds filtered/Eq'd compared to the balanced result.

Takes some time to get used to as its a different headspace to all the parametric ones.

Last edited by polybonk; 30th January 2019 at 10:42 AM.. Reason: wrong name
Old 29th January 2019
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by polybonk View Post
For corrective moves, I am finding that Newfangled Elevate is really good at making a track sound balanced without sounding Eq'd.
Have used it too for quite some time, but had the impression it adds a bit hardness often. So I havent touched it much lately. I should try it once again I think as I liked the way to work with it.

Quote:
Even in some instances the before sounds filtered/Eq'd compared to the balanced result.
This very much defined what a good EQ makes a good EQ to me. But very hard to achieve to me, especially digital only. Often the best of both worlds makes the trick the best to me.
Old 29th January 2019
Lives for gear
Although don't have any hardware, never really sticked with a coloring eq. Preferred a compressor more often for that.

But this made a difference for me; Spectre - Spectral Enhancer Plug-in AAX/AU/VST - Wavesfactory

Not exactly an eq but I often prefer to boost a freq. with it instead of a clean eq plug-in.
Old 29th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
For corrective moves, I am finding that Newfangled Elevate is really good at making a track sound balanced without sounding Eq'd.
i actually think that he makes a track sound unbalanced if it was in balance before.
i just get tired when i have to listen to this limiter too long, everything crisp and fresh, but somehow also chemical.
Old 30th January 2019
Lives for gear

Ah I shouldn't post so late at night. I meant the EQ thing. Equivocate!
Old 30th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by teebaum View Post
i actually think that he makes a track sound unbalanced if it was in balance before.
i just get tired when i have to listen to this limiter too long, everything crisp and fresh, but somehow also chemical.
Yeah you are right about the limiter. I find it useful as well as the EQ but only with about.9dB and mostly for dance music. The transient part will mostly give you that "hard" sound that is good at first glance but then after a while you bypass it. Its a funny limiter that one. I mostly use Cedar Adaptive.

Again today the Equivocate made it onto a track to correct 200-300hz range.

Really works well when its the right EQ!
Old 30th January 2019
Quote:

Takes some time to get used to as its a different headspace to all the parametric ones.
** See " **EDIT** " ** This is more of an EQ + Limiter + Clipper, but they have the individual EQ plugin from its EQ module, called EQuivocate. I may give that one a shot. **EDIT** I shouldn't post so late at night, either. I just read your reply. I'm going to not edit what I said below.

I tried using the Elevate for quite a few hours. I liked a lot of the things I could do with it, but none of them seemed transparent enough for my likings. I couldn't decide which was the best out of like 10 flavorings I made from it, because its so versatile. It would take a long time to learn it, and I can't wait for their next update because I think this is the future of what the best digital limiter will be (IMHO), but it needs to be integrated with what DMG Limitless does (the 2 limiter system. It could use some sort of AI "autolearn," or "mastering assistant" technology, to go with it. If I try it out again, I'll use Ozone Mastering Assistant, along with other plugins that do an auto-balancing type of thing, where it suggests a starting point... and then look at those & draw in something similar into Elevate or EQuivovate... in an attempt to get similar balancing, within their sophisticated Mel Spectrum system.

The Match EQ funtion on it looks promising, so if you have reference material that is balanced and fits the style, you can use that. This is the line, about EQuivocate, that excites me the most: "Combining this with a linear-phase filter shape that reduces pre-echo makes EQuivocate an EQ with a difference you can hear." Thats something that I've been wanting from Pro-Q, and haven't gotten. I am not sure if EQuilibrium has filters like this, but I think they probably do.

I love how it goes down to 0 Hz, but I wish it went up to 34 or 40 Hz for an airband boost. EQ's that process frequencies above the audible spectrum are important, in my mind; because the energy of the highs builds up and causes resonance in the audible range, and makes things sound more natural or alive.

I wish that EQuilibrium had dynamic functions, because then I'd be more inclined to go for it. I'm going to look more into it.

I'm still on the quest for hunting for the EQ's that I prefer. It'll be a never-ending quest, but it'll be on pause a lot of the time.

I like DMG EQuilibrium but haven't learned it well enough. Something about it rubbed me the wrong way, and it might just be the GUI effecting my mood, the steep learning curve, or the fact that it doesn't have dynamic EQ functions.

Fabfilter Pro-Q 3 (after my initial bad reaction from it, I changed my mind but am still leaning toward not using it) might be the best all-in-one EQ plugin, but the filtering options are not my favorite.

However, in addition to having one tool that does most of my EQ things in one stage... I quite often find that I'd rather have 1 or 2 things before or after other various stages of specific processes, and so I am seeking things that... since, by themselves, they don't eat up a ton of CPU.

In that regard, I can say that Airwindows Hermepass is one that I use for my individual HPF, as one of the first things in my chain; and Acceleration as one of the last things in my chain. There are others from Airwindows; but most of them are built for the purpose of being mixing tools, and I am mostly seeking mastering tools. HermeTrim is decent, for mastering, as well; but it hasn't made my list of "ones that I often reach for," yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooker View Post
Although don't have any hardware, never really sticked with a coloring eq. Preferred a compressor more often for that.

But this made a difference for me; Spectre - Spectral Enhancer Plug-in AAX/AU/VST - Wavesfactory

Not exactly an eq but I often prefer to boost a freq. with it instead of a clean eq plug-in.
Tried this out as well. It seemed okay, but not quite what I'd want for mastering and is more useful in mixing, IMHO. With the even harmonics settings, you can tame while boosting, or with tape, bring out crispiness and clarity while boosting. At the time I was trying it, I was already using Ozone 8 Exciter, and I preferred using that for adding harmonics. Since then, I migrated to using broadband tools for harmonics, but might end up setting up parallel chains or doing things in multiband stages, similar to Ozone's Exciter. Ozone's exciter is nice, and the flavors are good, but it doesn't have enough control over the excitement (like, the tape doesn't have things that tape emulators would have, etc). Its also pretty hard to dial in, and very easy to do too much with, without realizing it.

I might consider giving Spectre another shot, but I wasn't super impressed with the way the different modes sounded; but thats just my taste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slug1 View Post
I’m sort of getting to the point where the only digital move is a bit of hi pass, and maybe a critical cut, using FF ProQ before hitting DAC feeding analog chain. During the time when I was doing more digital eq, I liked Equilibrium for boosts. Slick EQ also sounds great for boosts. Now boosts come in the analog domain.
Wondering if you've tried Kush Clariphonic MKII for boosts in the digital realm. I heard that its not quite matching the hardware unit, but close. The 34k band is the one that has the most usage IMHO, and probably the one that least matches the analog processing (esp on 44.1, 48k sample rate material). In my experience, it sounds nice. Also wondering if you've tried EQuivocate for boosting.

As for doing one critical cut, you may be aiding this some way in your analog processing, but (in my experience) one cut usually requires at least 2 other moves (in order to be maximize transparency and tame issues that one bell cut causes).
Old 30th January 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by teebaum View Post
the gliss is extremely well configurable, has many possible bands with many filtertypes, which can also work dynamically, the gui is free scalable, has a good analyzer - it belongs to the department "all digital eq's sound the same, if the programmer was not an idiot".
the flat tilt of the q 3 is - flat. the one of the equilibrium and the q 2 not, the slick and the goodhertz tilt also have a pretty flat tilt, but i think the q 3-tilt sounds better.
i'm not particularly interested in "mojo"-digital eq's, i have analog possibilities, but the vse-2 can do 2, 3 things pretty well...
Thanks for that explanation of the tilts. Looks like Pro-Q 3 may find its way into my chain, after my initial bad reactions to it. I assume that you use the natural phase mode, for the tilt. Is that correct?

As for mojo, I am wondering if you've ever tried the Kush Clariphonic MKII or Eventide EQuivocate for boosting purposes. Also, have you tried Maag EQ4 with +0.5 on "air" 40 kHz band? If so, opinions?

*EDIT* sorry for double posting, meant to edit this into my last reply.
Old 30th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuemes View Post
I would like to purchase a single EQ plugin for mastering purposes.
Seems to me it all depends entirely if you plan to add 'character' first with your outboard gear, and use an EQ plug-in as a final corrective stage in the mastering, or whether you require a single plug-in to give you all of the sound and functionality of an entire OTB chain as well.

Reading up on here it looks like most MEs here use a bend of both depending on the project. In which case if you are already employing some outboard gear I can't imagine a situation where the very clean and precise EQ section in Ozone 8 wouldn't be able to provide the finishing touches to a high-quality master for you, especially if you come to the conclusion that you might be using the (also excellent) limiter in the Ozone 8 suite as well.

I find life gets a whole bunch easier with a single, familiar GUI - some I click with and some I find visually off-putting; I think this is a significant secondary factor in people's choices/recommendation too, after the pure sonics of course.

Caveat: I play in the lower leagues of mastering here - just a humble DAV BG3 and Ozone 8 to my name - so feel free to ignore my very limited worldview on the matter!

Last edited by James Lehmann; 30th January 2019 at 03:49 PM..
Old 31st January 2019
mpr
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Lehmann View Post
I find life gets a whole bunch easier with a single, familiar GUI - some I click with and some I find visually off-putting; I think this is a significant secondary factor in people's choices/recommendation too, after the pure sonics of course.
+1

Ive gone thru a lot of EQs, and sometimes I cycle back thru them to see if anything resonates (bah), but for the last few years I've settled on 3 EQ plugins that make it on most everything I do.

Pre Analog:

ProQ3 - for resonant notching and gentle balancing if needed. It replaced the Massenburg plug which I used for over a decade (similar vibe to my ear). I sometimes explore a new mix using the Pro Q's tilt which gives me clues about what Im gonna do next in analog - very useful at the start to feel things out. And it's metering is great to have on the raw mix as well.

Post Analog:

EQuilibrium - usually parallel in Analog FIR with a mix of LR and MS DMG bands. It keeps the analog tones intact while letting you balance away. Not my favorite GUI still after almost 6 years of daily use, but its ability to preserve tone (and size and depth) is ridiculously good so I happily deal.

Sonnox Dyn EQ - I feel like this has been my secret weapon since it came out (thanks to my buddy Carlo who made me demo it). I think the filters sound GREAT even with the gain changes - very musical. The low end stays firm. The upper mids behave exactly as you'd hope. I rarely go more than 3dB and am not afraid to flip a band in MS to gently fix something near the end my chain. Reaper gives you a wet/dry knob on every plugin and so I often have it running at 70-80% wet to slightly soften the movement. And I find it very easy to automate this plugin if a certain section of the song stands out.

I try to master so that if I get a recall I can quickly address it thru Equilibrium and Sonnox alone. Of course there are days where my mood wasn't jiving with the tune and so another analog pass is needed. Oh well.
Old 31st January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpr View Post
ProQ3 - for resonant notching and gentle balancing if needed. It replaced the Massenburg plug which I used for over a decade (similar vibe to my ear).
That's interesting. I still hear a very small difference with extreme Q's that for whatever reason I like Massenburgs. It's hard to describe in words. It's not necessarily "better" it's maybe a "flavor." I can begin to hear it in 4-5 k and up range. Note this is ProQ2 and Massenburg, however ProQ3 should be the same, and I can't hear it in my project studio at home...only the mastering studio years ago.

For myself, these subtle issues are sort of like "interesting but does it make a difference or should I spend more time investigating?" I could spend days simply learning an EQ tool, knowing what I think are it's characteristics vs. transparency, then knowing when and how to apply it for any given sonic objective.

Or, I could use what I feel I know best and I'm comfortable with based on years of past usage. Naturally, there is a threshold or degree where I think an ME may abandon the learned and well used tool for something "better", however in the mastering EQ realm, there are so many additional issues above this I would prioritize first.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search