The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Gapless playback for album... also Spotify... Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Gapless playback for album... also Spotify...

Gapless playback for an album… In general but also in consideration of Spotify. I know it's possible but is there anything special to consider with streaming services vs CD? Whats general practice? I’ll be uploading WAV through Distrokid. Cheers!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

CD - If you use a Pro ME or you have and know how to use legit Redbook CD authoring software then it's easy to make CDs play through gapless since CD players are designed to do that. You might have to press CDs from a DDP or PMCD master instead of by uploading wave files to your replicator (check with your replicator on that).

Spotify - Unfortunately most streaming services still fail to play gapless segues. I find the split second of silence they insert between tracks to be very jarring and it takes me a minute to get over it and back to enjoying the music. I can't explain why they haven't solved that seemingly simple problem but it annoys me to no end.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Lossless (WAV) files submitted as an album through distrokid usually work out fine for gapless when played back as an album.

Spotify has album mode and defaults to gapless. The codecs used by streaming services facilitate gapless through their metadata.

There are several ways gapless playback can be broken:

1. When people do the lossy encode themselves prior to upload thinking it will be 'safer' but unwittingly add silences through encoder padding.

2. When songs are played in playlists rather than album mode gaps occur.

3. When gapless is not switched on in the player.

4. Crossfade mode/settings interfere with gapless tracks.

There maybe be other things on the playback end like insufficient buffering or decoder latency that interfere with gapless playback for some listeners but in 2019 these *should* be few and far between.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trakworx View Post
CD - If you use a Pro ME or you have and know how to use legit Redbook CD authoring software then it's easy to make CDs play through gapless since CD players are designed to do that. You might have to press CDs from a DDP or PMCD master instead of by uploading wave files to your replicator (check with your replicator on that).

Spotify - Unfortunately most streaming services still fail to play gapless segues. I find the split second of silence they insert between tracks to be very jarring and it takes me a minute to get over it and back to enjoying the music. I can't explain why they haven't solved that seemingly simple problem but it annoys me to no end.
Google play is gapless, if I’m not mistaken. It also has a high quality mode which sounds great. I can finally listen to DSOTM in peace lol.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search