The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New Year's Resolutions Dynamics Plugins
Old 2 weeks ago
New Year's Resolutions

As we're entering a new year I thought it might be fun and informative for users of this board to detail any attempts they're making to improve themselves, as engineers and people, in 2019.

As far as mastering goes, I'm aiming to procrastinate less: I often dial in a track's processing in 10-15 minutes then spend a load of extra time making minor adjustments that could either wait until the assembly phase of the project, or not be made at all, without harming the outcome.

I'm also going to try to curb my habit of sucking mints/chewing gum all day in the studio. I fear the xylotol will eventually rot my gut.

Anyone else? Please, no humblebragging in this thread (I'm going to work less as I'm so busy, etc), it can make others feel insecure and this is a thread where we should all be equally flawed.

Last edited by Hippocratic Mastering; 2 weeks ago at 05:19 PM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
- Delete all notifications based apps which aren't my wife contacting me or my mastering email (yep Facebook, news, various other crap)
- Turn phone/work stuff off at night unless I'm expecting contact from a client or have an open ended work flow (time zone difference etc)
- Start my Youtube series about cool old recordings of music I find and basically have no one to share with (shouts to my wife for buying me a camera for Xmas to do this with)
- Do some videos/podcast stuff helping musicians doing digital audio stuff. It helps all of us, saves time and helps advertise me as an engineer
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Yes, working no more than 20min on a track is what I want to do too, then move for a short walk, speak to somebody, go to toilette, get a cup of water or tea, whatever to stay fresh, that is very important.
Also I would like to experiment this: use 3 piece of gear only, let say 2 eqs and 1 comp, or maybe 2 comp and 1 eq, all settings like a little touch here and there, basically for the boxtone and gain;
Like an entire analogue preset that stay without move, I dont wanna touch it, and before DAC and after ADC do the rest with plugs like Soothe, Nova, Dynone, Limitless ect ect depending on the track. Could be fun, I want to see what happen, if it works would be easier to work on for a lot of reasons...
Old 2 weeks ago
Mastering Moderator

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_caithness View Post
- Delete all notifications based apps which aren't my wife contacting me or my mastering email (yep Facebook, news, various other crap)
- Turn phone/work stuff off at night unless I'm expecting contact from a client or have an open ended work flow (time zone difference etc)
Ah! 100% agreed, doing the same. Keep us posted on the youtube series.

For 2019 I will be trying to streamlining my chain to what works 99% of the times on most material (well, aiming to) which probably means less but more expensive. Work faster and more effectively by rearranging some key pieces courtesy of an upcoming move. Ultimately having a tiny bit more time for myself.
Clearing the backlog of maintenance on our ATRs.
Signing a couple of more promising acts (on our labels side) and doing even more work for our long term customers releasing old previously unreleased material from long lost archives.
Possibly reorganising website and credits seeing most get lost and do not appear anywhere or are mispelt, misplaced and so on.
Hopefully meeting some of you for a beer or a coffee at trade fairs or during trips.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Mine are quite similar to Joe's here.

- Less time spent on social media and glancing at my mobile phone. Especially late at night.

- Continue my work in Chinese-language production education, specifically about mixing and mastering concepts and mindset. And gear analysis/review. YouTube?

- Readjust my work/life balance. It's been decidedly unhealthy for a while as I've been obsessed on this mission to create a freelance career in a foreign land.

2018 finally marked the year when I'd established a decent reputation, moved into a respectable control room, completed a damn formidable analog chain and earned some chances to work on higher profile projects. That may qualify as a prohibited humble brag but it's a necessary segue into the next part -

Now it's time to slow down, stop spending nearly all of my income on my studio, reflect on what I've accomplished, and show gratitude to the wonderful people in my life who helped this all become a reality.

This very mastering forum was a huge source of inspiration and information these past years, so thanks to all of you here who contribute regularly and make it what it is. Hopefully I can contribute some positivity, inspiration and helpful information for our community in 2019.

- Increase focus and time spent on my healthier hobbies like strength training, climbing, hiking, and meditation. Get more sunlight.

- Replace my placeholder website with something legitimate finally.

- Achieve complete quantum dampening on all mains cables in the studio
Old 2 weeks ago
Number 1 on my list is making 2019 the year of actually trying to make mastering and mixing a professional going concern for me. Have been dipping my toe into the mastering and mixing waters for the last 15 years and after getting laid off from my tech job last year, decided I should give it a go. Spent the last 9 months reworking my studio around a mastering-oriented workflow, investing in room treatment and generally paring down what I have and upgrading everything.

I feel I just got my studio to where I think it's at a respectable steady-state V1 enough to put pictures of it on a website and not be totally embarrassed by it. I'm really quite pleased with the results I'm getting out of my modest room and rig. And I just launched my website a couple days ago so...away we go!

2019 is more of the same and working on establishing my studio.

Some other concrete items on the list:
  • Once and for all rewire the rig to a DB25 patchbay I scored instead of the soldered bay I currently deal wit.
  • Get an insert switcher
  • Get a main big EQ
  • Sleep more
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Happy new year to you all!
I never really got that idea of new years resolutions. Why wait when life asks for some changes? But whatever works, thought....
I just work less for some months now, spending much more time in nature (and I also feel much healthier now). I also tried to stop waisting time on fb as much as possible for quite some time now (and that really feels great). My mobile phone is typical off half the day for years. I also try to not waste time for hunting cool new stuff for the studio too. So, no major changes for me in 2019. Beside doing even more sports while keep enjoying working on ppls music.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Great thread Tom.

My main resolution is to focus more on family. Too often I find my mind preoccupied with audio/work when I am with my daughter and partner. I want to keep that in balance. (Hence, it's taken me 2 hours to write this post!)

Mastering wise, I want to focus on being more instinctive and streamline my workflow to keep left brain processes out of the way of right brain processes.

In 2018 I managed to get pretty close to my ideal analogue chain: just a small number of versatile pieces. In 2019 I plan to build myself a new desk to house them.

Oh, and I might actually get around to completing the cosmetic finishes to my room. It's only been 3 years…!

Best wishes to everyone for 2019!

Last edited by SmoothTone; 2 weeks ago at 06:45 AM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Mine is to stop making New Years resolutions.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

My resolution is to spread the word to everyone to be present in the moment while it’s happening. Especially when you are with loved ones. Time goes by way to fast. I just started Silvertone Mastering yesterday and 29 years passed in the blink of an eye. Be present. Have fun. Enjoy the music. Enjoy life.

2019 will bring about the completion of all the equipment for my 1960’s 3 track studio, all modifications to the Langevin tube console should be done in the next couple months. New schematics of the console are being sent to me tomorrow. Yay. Everything else is pretty much done and I’m just awaiting the return of the console and the Presto 3 track. I may build a new building to house it or I may partner up with an existing studio downstate.

As far as mastering goes for this year, I’ll continue to work with long term clients but am phasing out of being just a dedicated mastering engineer and mastering business. I’ll be going back to tracking, mixing and of course mastering but I also plan to buy a small lathe set up to cut small batches of vinyl with. Big changes are coming in 2019!

Great thread Tom. Best of luck, health and happiness to all in 2019.

Last edited by Silvertone; 1 week ago at 12:58 PM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

I’m like JP, I never wait the New Year to do something positive in my life. And overall, I hate to think about life as a one year cycle (even a one week cycle bother me ah ah).

I really try to enjoy my life every day, even every single hour !

So my next goals, not to say resolutions, are to improve my scientific knowledges (mostly related to audio, but not exclusively), to downsize my plugins arsenal and to be an happy father.
Old 2 weeks ago
Of course, changes do not have to be made in the new year. Personally, I find it useful as Christmas is probably the longest break I have from work most years, especially this year (two whole weeks!). I find that time away from the studio helps clear my mind and clarify what's important and what isn't.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Of course new resolutions should not wait till the new year but it’s nice to have someone stop and ask what goals you might be thinking of trying to accomplish this year. Nothing wrong with having to stop and think about what you might want to see happen.

I never really think about it like this until someone asks, so thanks for asking Tom. Best of luck to you in the new year.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Nice thread, lots of positive vibes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Elgin View Post
- Continue my work in Chinese-language production education, specifically about mixing and mastering concepts and mindset.

EDIT

- Readjust my work/life balance. It's been decidedly unhealthy for a while as I've been obsessed on this mission to create a freelance career in a foreign land.
Fascinating, B Elgin - you may have posted on this already, but a paragraph on how you got to be in Taipei would be great: having done a number of mastering jobs for the region, I've been looking eastward with some interest.

Much of my 2019 work plan will involve widening my client base to include a greater number of smaller customers: I lost a couple of big clients last year through corporate moves unconnected to me, and if nothing else it's been a wake-up call about having too many eggs in one basket! These kinds of knock-backs can provide the impetus to take a fresh approach, never a bad thing in my book.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowland View Post
Much of my 2019 work plan will involve widening my client base to include a greater number of smaller customers: I lost a couple of big clients last year through corporate moves unconnected to me, and if nothing else it's been a wake-up call about having too many eggs in one basket! These kinds of knock-backs can provide the impetus to take a fresh approach, never a bad thing in my book.
I feel you there, Nigel: I also lost a fairly major client through no fault of my own in the autumn of last year (he might be back but for now is not doing any production or engineering work, that I know of), and it's a scary moment. 2019 is looking good so far; let's hope it continues!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
to be less judgmental of ITB plug-in Newbies?

:~}> JT
Old 1 week ago
Good thread.

Recreational - Do more backpacking and canoeing; sleep outside more (my other passion in life)
Personal - Listen more (interpersonal and intrapersonal)
Spiritual - Continue to pursue truth
Engineering - Continue to refine skills... faster and better decision making; more clients/projects would be nice
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Eat mince pies all year round.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

2018 was a pretty nutty year for me but things have finally started to stabilize in recent months. Not much for New Years resolutions but...

- Continue with my newfound daily meditation practice

- Put more energy into my own music and the personal goals I have there

- Climb more mountains!

I finally got a good picture of my newish room today and am stoked on that at the moment.

Happy 2019 everyone.

Attached Thumbnails
New Year's Resolutions-full-circle-mastering-analog-digital-mastering-studio.jpg  

Last edited by aleatoric; 6 days ago at 09:03 AM..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search