The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
zip files ok?
Old 2 weeks ago
zip files ok?

I have been sent an album to master. The files were sent to me via "Google Drive". The files are all contained in one folder. When starting the process of downloading the folder, I noticed that Google Drive appears to send these things via a "zip" file.

Is there any degradation of audio quality when I "unzip" the files to "wav" files?
Old 2 weeks ago
Mastering Moderator

Verified Member
No, if you want to be extra zealuos you cound include an md5 checksum.
There is no degradation.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Hello from a fellow Bay Area studio!

In addition to there being no degradation, sending/receiving zipped files is actually safer than sending/receiving regular files because the act of zipping/unzipping includes a checksum process which helps ensure that the files arrive complete and intact. This is probably the main reason that Google Drive, wetransfer, etc. automatically zip files - to prevent data errors.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildplum View Post
I have been sent an album to master. The files were sent to me via "Google Drive". The files are all contained in one folder. When starting the process of downloading the folder, I noticed that Google Drive appears to send these things via a "zip" file.

Is there any degradation of audio quality when I "unzip" the files to "wav" files?
that’s actually the whole point of zipping,

to ensure that the files travel safely.

if it unzips after download, you should be good.

20 years ago the zip thing could be dicey,

but no more.

yep MD5 checksum, even better.

jt
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildplum View Post
No, but FLAC is a far better choice in this case. The transfer of WAV or any other type of file transfer is safe, too anyway. It's just that ZIP offers an additional check, just in case you messed up the file locally, for whatever (unusual) reason.

Given modern, well maintained clients and servers:

FTP and its modern alternatives are safe.

HTTP file transfer also is safe with regard to file integrity. HTTPS is even safer (with regard to constructed manipulation). If you have a website in 2018, your server will likely support HTTPS anyway.

From stackoverflow:

Quote:
HTTP is typically transported over TCP/IP. Now, TCP has flow control (ie. lost packets will be resent), and checksums (ie. the probability, that without the receiver noticing and re-requesting a packet data got altered is minor). So if you're really just transferring data, you're basically set (as long as your HTTP server is configured to send the length of your file in bytes, which, at least for static files, it usually is).

If your transfer is stopped before the whole file size that was advertised in the HTTP GET reply that your server sends to the client is reached, your client will know! Many HTTP libraries/clients can re-start HTTP transmissions (if the server supports it).

HTTPS is just HTTP over a TLS layer, so all applies to HTTPS, too.
HTTPS protocol file integrity - Stack Overflow
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

While we're in "worry" mode: MD5 can be hacked, SHA-2 is better..........
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I have had corrupt WAV files inside a zip exactly once. I think it was because of the online zipping from Wetransfer.

Me, I zip on my DAW and all I move around is zipped files. I don't think people in general use archiving software that much. Whenever I get the rare RAR archive (or 7z) my internal nerd smiles. Still waiting for the ARJ file though.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
.zip also lets the client put all of the album assets into one folder so the ME doesn't have to download multiple song files plus docs, etc.

Many benefits to receiving and sending only one .zip file.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search