The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best Spectrum Analyzer Plugin Metering & Analysis Plugins
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Best Spectrum Analyzer Plugin

Hi I am testing different Spectrum analyzers, SPAN, Izotope Insight1/2, the Ones in Fabfilter ProQ, the one in AirEQ etc...

All give you a very different representation...

if you take a Stereo Drum Kit and use a steep HPF with a 36db per octave at 100hz for example you will see that each spectrum analyzer give u a very different response at the lowest frequencies ...some even show 40hz frequencies even if the HPF is at 100hz.

So please can somebody explain this and what is the most accurate freq analyzer?

Thanks!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

sometimes it is better, you don't see too much, then you rather listen

but i need 2 different ones, one on average, not "too exact" - for that i use the hofa, one with 1/12-octave, to see if there is a bass tone jumping out (to control it if necessary), for that i use the span or gliss of voxengo, mostly parallel shown peak and average.

I also had expensive, rtw and penguin - but more important is that you know your meters and set them so that you see what you want to see.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by zak7 View Post
if you take a Stereo Drum Kit and use a steep HPF with a 36db per octave at 100hz for example you will see that each spectrum analyzer give u a very different response at the lowest frequencies ...some even show 40hz frequencies even if the HPF is at 100hz.

So please can somebody explain this and what is the most accurate freq analyzer?

Thanks!
A 36dB per octave HPF located at 100Hz would accomplish 36dB of relative attenuation at 50Hz, and 72dB at 25Hz.

The algorithm used to calculate and display low frequency spectra varies by manufacturer.

In my experience many analyzers overstate or "generalize" low frequency spectra.

I agree with Dan (@teebaum) regarding HOFA's IQ-Series Analyzer and Voxengo's SPAN (Plus).

I'm also very impressed with the analyzer in Crave DSP's Crave EQ.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Span
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
SPAN here too. You can even make SPAN readout a million different ways, depending on which settings you use, so it's no surprise that many analysers LOOK different. Analysers will NEVER tell you exactly what the ear HEARS, that's what ears are for.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Do you know some "not that expensive" alternative for high resolution bar analyzer like penguin?

Thanks,
Daniel.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

NUGEN also has one: Visualizer
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

HOFA and SPAN
Old 1 week ago
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Simon explains this. You'd need to check the amplitude scale, it's normal for there to still be content below 100 cycles, even down to 40 or 20Hz - just much lower in level. If the display i showing down to -100dBFS, it will look like there's still a lot of subsonic content at first glance.

Also different FFT block sizes offer different resolution which is especially noticeable in the lows. If you want a more accurate picture of the low end, use a higher block size (depending on the analyzer this may have a different label like "resolution" etc).

Try for yourself with SPAN, increasing both block size and overlap parameters and notice the difference in precision.

I use SPAN here and love it.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

SIR audio Spectrum Analyzer
Old 1 week ago
Mastering Moderator

Verified Member
Apart from the already mentioned Nugen and Voxengo you could also try the Flux Analyzer and with less features (and a lower price) The Blue Cat.

On a side note, anybody aware of a frequency meter plugin or app for Mac?
(people mangling with tapes will surely understand... )
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
SPAN

Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

iZotope Insight here and there within DAW for complete ITB metering. TC Clarity M via optical from Burl B2 ADC to control incoming signal after OTB analog processing.
Old 6 days ago
Audio Alchemist

Voxengo SPAN, just tweak it a bit and you're good to go.

For more forensic work I use Spectre.
Aurchitect Audio Software
Old 6 days ago
Gear Nut

Verified Member
The new plugin alliance spl one looks neat.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

any thought on meldas MMultiAnalyzer and MAnalyzer (more detailed settings)? I quite like both ones.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search