The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Are Masters Getting any Quieter?
Old 2 weeks ago
My peaks hit -.1 db. It still has it's full dynamic range. Music sounds natural and soothing that way. Noise floor? Gone. The console is at -110 dbu, hiss, if any is never encoded onto Red Book.
Old 2 weeks ago
I've been buying some new singles...as for pop and edm the masters are insanely loud. For instance the new Marshmello single Happier, Jesus Christ that thing is loud! Imagine Dragons Whatever it Takes...loud as fk! I can't think of one record that I have downloaded, all major label or indie label / major releases that aren't below -8 rms, and that's on the lower end level wise. There is no loudness war anymore because loudness won the fight.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
"If it's too loud, you're too old"

My Sony client label sends me refs of what they want to hit: "No Good" by Kaleo and "Shakin' Hands with the Holy Ghost" by Blackberry Smoke are two most recent refs for the new Maddie Law project just approved.
They are not gentle yet they are clean and have punch. There in lies the art of doing this. -8 RMS dBFS isn't close to competitive in that arena but it can't sound like dreck either. Separates the men from the boys to achieve that.
Old 1 week ago
Back when the loudness crap was in full swing I visited one of the last large record stores in LA, (Tower). For fun I stood in the longest line, looked at what others were buying and asked some questions like do you like the sound of the new stuff? I got a resounding "NO"!

"Why are these CD's so loud now? Why are they harsher sounding? Why does the older stuff all sound better?

I'll leave that to the experts here to explain.
Old 1 week ago
Motown legend

Verified Member
The problem has always been:

1. Artists and managers who have witnessed broadcast music meetings where perfectly good records went into the wastebasket because the first 30 seconds wasn't as loud as the last two records played.

2. Copycats who want to sound just like the stuff getting airplay.

Unfortunately, this has always been a race to the bottom that has nothing to do with listeners' experience. It's also no doubt a big part of why sales are in the toilet as much as people want to blame piracy. Why would anybody want to buy a recording they didn't want to hear over and over?
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Edm got more and more louder I tried everything I cant get anywhere near when I gain stage my mix its way more quiet I will never get it its very dark art.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

Verified Member
Have noticed a couple of indie masters that are lower in peak by 1 db but still heavily limited.

Recall the days if you will where you put a record on and sat and listened to it as an experience! And if you liked a couple of tracks you'd play the whole album again and it would remain at the top of your collection!

I controlled the volume then and there was a loud experience too!

The dymanics obviously have changed now and not just between loud and soft.
Where vocals and drums are much louder in the mix nowadays but where the backing is heavily compressed quieter, the vocals heavily compressed louder and possibly limited at predetermined levels and then again as a whole so you, in the end, have a series of condensing of the waveforms which unto themselves aren't noticeable but nonetheless; a hit in the head! LOL
The oddity is unless you approximate this solidity initial impressions are, "it's not finished!" or it sounds old and dated. CRAZY!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search