The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Wav 24/96 preferrable conversion method Utility Software
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Wav 24/96 preferrable conversion method

Hi guys and Merry Xmas.
Quickie here: What methods are you guys using for wav to mp3 conversion?
I recently got my track back from Aria Mastering, it's in 24/96, do I really have to export it through my DAW as an mp3 or is there a better/faster/reliable tool available that someone can recommend? Cheers.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I'm still using LAME for .wav to .mp3 encodes, in Foobar2000.

What's wrong with the 24/96 file? Can't you just play it as is? Am sure you could ask for any other format from the ME, if you needed it.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Thanks mate. Yes, I hate mp3's as much as the next guy, much prefer the wav for myself but sometimes mp3's have their uses, like on the website.
OK, so LAME is still in use, good to know....
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Honestly it's part of your mastering service's role to supply you with the formats you need. What did you request from them?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Dempsey View Post
Honestly it's part of your mastering service's role to supply you with the formats you need. What did you request from them?
My thoughts exactly but Aria is a robot. I haven't looked at what the deliverable options are from Aria in awhile.

The peak level increases caused by the SRC down to 44.1k (or 48k) combined with the peak level increases from the encode from WAV to mp3 could induce some pretty nasty artifacts if one is not careful.

All my clients receive reference mp3 masters encoded from floating point un-dithered/truncated audio and Weiss Saracon is used for the conversion down to 44.1k from 96k and of course, peak levels are managed in order to avoid bad artifacts.

Oh, and the files are fully tagged with metadata from WaveLab.

This is one of the main beefs I have with the "automated mastering" services. While they might do the stereo bus processing, they are not capable of handling the entire mastering process as I would define it which is also delivering all the master files (parts) needed as well as quality control etc.

So in short, my answer would be:
Use an actual mastering engineer and not a stereo bus processing service.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I'm with Greg about foobar2000 enhanced with appropriate plugins and respective encoders, it can be perfect tool for various conversions to different formats according to your needs. Are you on Windows? I can describe it in more detail, including mentioned handling of ISP (which are bit overrated IMO, unless you have tons of them).

Michal
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Thanks Michal, yes, Windows7 user. I will check out foobar2000 and see if it works for me. Had a quick peek now, looks promising, and Freeware.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

That's good.
So here's how I use typically setup foobar (fb2k) for mentioned conversions.
One of its advantages is, it is modular and fully extensible by own plugins, called components at their jargon.. (for processing, UI customization, library handling, tagging etc., you can even load 32 bit VSTs via appropriate adapter, you can add also ASIO output for bitperfect streaming and automatic hardware sample rate switching at some better audio interfaces).

Installation..
- get latest official installer at Download foobar2000
- get Free Encoders Pack from the same page (it's regularly updated setup file with collected free and open source audio encoders, which includes also latest LAME besides tools for other codecs)
- install both

- get soxr based component for actual resampling (it's based on the best open source resampling library, which is fast and definitely on par with best commercial alternatives)
Resampler plugin
get all of attached .fb2k-component files from first post there
if fb2k is installed from previous steps, you can just click on every .fb2k-component file and it will be opened by fb2k and asks you for its installation

Simple conversion with rate conversion..
- load bunch of wavs to main foobar (drag'n'drop whole folder to fb2k window)
personally I like to have all my master or source files as FLACs, because it a) saves disk space and b) allow you to fully enter all tags, which are then transparently handled by all subsequent conversions in fb2k
- select all of them in playlist (ctrl+a) and right click to bring main context menu, where you have option to Convert
- select option "..." to setup conversion options and possibly create your own preset

you'll see main converter dialog, where you can set

- Output format
there you'll select LAME and its options

- Destination
it can ask for target folder at every conversion or you can set it for fixed output folder structure, which can be based on tags like artist, album etc.

- Processing
there you'll add DSP processor called "Resampler (SoX)" and set rate conversion options, variants of resampler with suffix mod and mod 2 are useful, if you would like to create automatic resample process, which will affect just certain source rates.. eg. you can set for example, that rates >48k gets resampled and everything bellow stays unaltered.
Also there's section for ReplayGain processing, which is our friend for possible gain manipulations.. you can for example pre-attenuate audio before feeding the encoder to leave some headroom for peaks.
Processing pipeline is in floating point, so no worries about clipping or deterioration.

- Other (you can set for example automatic Replay Gain scan of output files, more to that topic later)

- finally you can do just one shot conversion or save everything to its preset for any repeated conversions

At the end it could look like this.. (notice, I have bunch of different presets, which are easy to recall and makes different output formats very quick)

Michal
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Oh wow! Michal you are a true gent and I thank you kindly sir!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by simhaw View Post
Oh wow! Michal you are a true gent and I thank you kindly sir!
You're welcome.. I could add something about those overs, if you want.

Michal
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Cheers Michal. I will download and install at the weekend. I’m confident I’ll work it out, I love manuals! HNY!
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search