The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Warning about AVAST software
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by scraggs View Post
This has gotta be a record. I stayed on Wavelab 6/XP waaay past their sell-by dates cause it was all so stable, but man...14 years!
I'm still on XP for both machines that do the recording and one is now 14 years old. Neither are networked and I've not really found the lack of networking to be a problem. I like the stability of this setup. I have a Windows 10 processing machine for things like RX which is networked and protected with Windows Defender. As far as I know I've not had any virus/malware problems.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
............So it is a real concern for anyone who has a computer or server "on line". FWIW

Dear Mr Scaredy-pants, i don't know if you heard, but there's technology built into our operating systems that mitigates against this sort of thing.

That's why the rest of the whole world-wide world seems to be happy to be connected and conducting business on the interwebs.

Sure, if your Bubba Ludwig or Sterling you need some serious security, but for the guys (including myself) on this forum?! ........ protecting client's precious audio from theft, when they're just gonna give it away for free a week later on Spotify!!??

Here's some news for you: there's no hackers trying to break into your comp to steal audio. They don't care who you are or what you do or what you have on your hard drives.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poinzy View Post
I just use Windows Defender and Malwarebytes for protection. I've never had a problem with either.
i used Windows defender until after an update, is shown on my screen a message warning on damaged user profil.

After have try the classical manipulations, i used a backup and uninstall Defender.

I install Avast

on my dedicated computer, there are not anti virus and internet connection.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by I.R.Baboon View Post
Dear Mr Scaredy-pants, i don't know if you heard, but there's technology built into our operating systems that mitigates against this sort of thing.

That's why the rest of the whole world-wide world seems to be happy to be connected and conducting business on the interwebs.

Sure, if your Bubba Ludwig or Sterling you need some serious security, but for the guys (including myself) on this forum?! ........ protecting client's precious audio from theft, when they're just gonna give it away for free a week later on Spotify!!??

Here's some news for you: there's no hackers trying to break into your comp to steal audio. They don't care who you are or what you do or what you have on your hard drives.
Two years ago someone hacked into our network. How they got in remains a mystery but they got access to our projects and to our financial data which was not encrypted. They also got access to our client's billing. Nothing that I know of ever came of it but...it was a warning. So maybe you have escaped the dreaded intrusion into your network but believe me it will happen and if someone wipes all your data or corrupts all of it or puts a Trojan into your system then maybe you will be less a cavalier about it. FWIW
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
A fellow ME has been hacked once, and had his client files shared on Russian download sites, pre-release, so it does happen. I have taken to password protecting all my .zip files since hearing this.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search