The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SPL Hermes Mastering Router Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 13th December 2018
Lives for gear

SPL Hermes Mastering Router

i'm not always very enthusiastic about the concepts of spl, but this device looks really well thought out now and would also fulfill unusual parallel requests

Hermes – SPL
Old 13th December 2018
Gear Addict

This is a really interesting one for sure - dual parallel paths plus the preset capabilities of a Liaison, the free ordering of a Crookwood system, and the 120v rails.

5000 Euro seems a bit much although I'm sure it's very well built.
Old 13th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Elgin View Post
This is a really interesting one for sure - dual parallel paths plus the preset capabilities of a Liaison, the free ordering of a Crookwood system, and the 120v rails.

5000 Euro seems a bit much although I'm sure it's very well built.
the price is almost twice as high compared to the liasion, but the possibilities are also much greater
Old 13th December 2018
Lives for gear

I'm sure it's a fantastic unit, and must be a real bonus for the workflow, but I was also a bit "shock" with the price...

But it's still very tempting
Old 13th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by the unik View Post
I'm sure it's a fantastic unit, and must be a real bonus for the workflow, but I was also a bit "shock" with the price...

But it's still very tempting
the price lies between liaison and crookwood, the possibilities also (depending on your needs).
if it does a good job, i think it's ok if spl gets his final control under control.

for my part i have a system that has grown over many years and i would have trouble breaking it down to the hermes.

but i think it would be exciting for a new start.
Old 13th December 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by teebaum View Post
the price is almost twice as high compared to the liasion, but the possibilities are also much greater
Definitely, and their parallel implementation is unique too - Liaison offers "only" one blend for mixing two buses, Crookwood also.

It's a pity you need to purchase additional SPL devices for monitor control, source selection, MS matrixing, etc. I understand why they've separated out functions though.

Their complete re-imagined mastering consle system looks great but the required desk space and investment is intimidating. That said, if Hermes (or whatever tool) gives exactly the workflow and features you need, the price is the price and it's the right purchase.
Old 13th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Elgin View Post
Definitely, and their parallel implementation is unique too - Liaison offers "only" one blend for mixing two buses, Crookwood also.

It's a pity you need to purchase additional SPL devices for monitor control, source selection, MS matrixing, etc. I understand why they've separated out functions though.

Their complete re-imagined mastering consle system looks great but the required desk space and investment is intimidating. That said, if Hermes (or whatever tool) gives exactly the workflow and features you need, the price is the price and it's the right purchase.
I don't need any of their other mastering stuff at all.
i do m/s in my computer, monitoring is so strongly interwoven with the DAW, that a simple digital level control is enough to control the digitally controlled loudspeakers - so their modular solution makes much more sense to me than crookwood, which doesn't fit to my other concept.

since i didn't find a meaningful mastering router when i built my system, i built my own router with jan ohlhorst (karumba, finemastering, suter/ohlhorst, ohlhorst digital) - it's much less universal than the spl, but it can do exactly what i need.
Old 14th December 2018
Gear Addict

In the past I ignored the SPL products a little bit after using a Tube-vitalizer ~12y. ago.
Then I tested a SPL PQ (old silver model) and my mindset changes radically especially about their expensive products. I´m relatively sure that this router will be technically perfect.

The pro on the crookwood (I do own) is the modularity. So you can start small and expand in a few directions (more inserts, AD/DAC´s, Monitor controller, 7.1, etc.).
There is one thing that is not so easy: if you want to work parallel you will not have a “blend” setting.
You have to mix the straight signal with the parallel signal with separate encoders (relays).
Old 14th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirochandler View Post
In the past I ignored the SPL products a little bit after using a Tube-vitalizer ~12y. ago.
Then I tested a SPL PQ (old silver model) and my mindset changes radically especially about their expensive products. I´m relatively sure that this router will be technically perfect.
Yes Spl highend line (120v) is really astonishing, unfortunately they are often preceded by a kind of a "mm" reputation due to the other products they manufactured (Spl MS master could be a good exemple of this "mmm" reputation).
The Gold line is really good though (Kultube, Qure, Vitalizer), very underated products. Not using the highend parts we are use too in Mastering, but the sound is really enjoyable.
Old 14th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes Spl highend line (120v) is really astonishing, unfortunately they are often preceded by a kind of a "mm" reputation due to the other products they manufactured (Spl MS master could be a good exemple of this "mmm" reputation).
The Gold line is really good though (Kultube, Qure, Vitalizer), very underated products. Not using the highend parts we are use too in Mastering, but the sound is really enjoyable.
unfortunately i had some spl devices here to check, which were delivered faulty, that made me a little bit reserved.
but maybe that was just a little unlucky too.
Old 14th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
unfortunately i had some spl devices here to check, which were delivered faulty, that made me a little bit reserved.
but maybe that was just a little unlucky too.
Was it an Spl Iron ?
Old 14th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Was it an Spl Iron ?

and a ....
Old 14th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:

and a ....
Héhé, yes it must have been model serial number 001 wich I had to test at the very beginning. This I can understand why, as they changed MANY things since then (from trimmers, to opamps on the link features, to capacitors and so on). Many components where improved since then really.
Also if it travelled many studios across europe, in the end it must have come to your place in bad shape indeed...

And a...
Old 14th December 2018
Lives for gear

Hermes is tempting, and also the new Gemini MS processor. Seems just the right MS box to me :

-High Headroom (MS can clip easily)
-Insert on M & S
-Eliptical Filter on the S
-Precise Trimming
-Master bypass

VERY tempting

Last edited by the unik; 14th December 2018 at 03:53 PM..
Old 2 weeks ago
This seems to be one of the best units made for adding hardware gear in a mastering setup. Lisason is still a very good product but this seems better and offers more features and flexibility that would be appreciated. The led display for instance is a big plus. It appears the original Liason was better built than the new one and it looked better too. To save money they redesigned it.

If I was going for a new unit in my setup, the SPL Hermes would be it for me.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search