The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Ozone 8 Advanced -- Spectral Shaper -- Comparable To What? Equalizer Plugins
Old 1 week ago
Ozone 8 Advanced -- Spectral Shaper -- Comparable To What?

Would Ozone 8 Spectral Shaper be comparable to oeksound soothe at all; or is it more in the TDR DeEdger category?

I can see it pulling off deedger types of things, but I'm looking for something more along the lines of soothe. Can it be used in this manner, with slow attack/release? The problem that I foresee is that the harsh transients would still trigger it, which could remove "warmth" or other stuff that should not be removed.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
I think its a spectral compressor, like pro audio DSM v2 or one from meldaproduction.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Sorry for the trivial answer but have you compared it to Soothe? which one did you prefer? as far as I see they sound pretty different and only you can tell which one fits best with your needs.
If you like Soothe why don't you stick to it?
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid Mastering View Post
Sorry for the trivial answer but have you compared it to Soothe? which one did you prefer? as far as I see they sound pretty different and only you can tell which one fits best with your needs.
If you like Soothe why don't you stick to it?
I haven't grabbed Soothe trial yet.

I have DeEdger and I have Ozone Spectral Shaper.

I've played with Spectral Shaper and I found that it gets triggered by transient harsh things... and I wish that it had a button labeled "ignore transient elements," so that it could act in the manner that Soothe does (to tame harsh resonating/sustaining/non-transient types of things).

I may give Ozone SS another shot before grabbing Soothe. I can't really afford Soothe right now, so a 20 day trial seems like a waste of time (for now).

Is there other tools on the market that would be comparable to Soothe? If so, what are they? If Ozone Spectral Shaper can be used as a Soothe replacement, how should the parameters be set? Even with slow attack/release, transients still hit it. We can dial in to the band where the sustained resonating badness is, and it will work as long as there is little to no transient material triggering it... but that is often not the case. I suppose, I can draw in automation and just turn on Spectral Shaper when the resonance is bad, so whatever transients get chopped during that segment get chopped... then I have to decide if the loss is worth the gain. Not perfect.

Hopefully iZotope develops it further.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I haven't spent any time with Ozone SS, but I've been meaning to mess with it.

I tried the trial for Soothe, and for whatever reason did not get along with it. I found it hard to not make it sound heavy-handed, and seemed to suck too much character from my tracks.

Another option might be SKnote Soundbrigade. I've had some luck with that in taming resonances.

I still usually reach for old-school static EQ...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search