The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
De-ess / HF limiting: favorite choices Dynamics Plugins
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

De-ess / HF limiting: favorite choices

Lets talk your anti-harshness techniques of choice.

ITB, OTB?

Shelf vs bell?

First in the chain, middle, last before Limiting?

I am a big fan of TDR plugs, but have been debating getting a maselec mds or the new ssl fusion for OTB possibilities.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

For HF Limiting ... I've been using ACCELERATION by AIRWindows.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Spitfish.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Soothe, Weiss De-esser, Limiter No 6 GE's HF limiter, Sonnox Dynamic EQ, gentle low pass filtering. Sometimes it's one or two specific frequencies that are really resonant and fatiguing, in which case some tight bell cuts can calm things down. Balance Audio Magphase EQ works well here. Being able to determine if the problem is focused or more broadband, intermittent or constant is essential.

These are early in the chain before going to analog usually, used sparingly and often a combination of tools sharing the work sounds more natural. Soothe can be a miracle worker or totally weird sounding for example. I have best results restricting it to around 3kHz and up, barely any movement on the graph and with some dry mixed in. For harsh midrange stuff dynamic EQ bells work here. For ~5kHz and up de-essers help often (BP or HPF) The Limiter 6 HF Limiter sounds pretty good set at 8-10kHz. I guess this one is most similar to a shelf. I'm using MS operation for all of these aside from Soothe.

Depending on what's active in the analog chain there's some natural and subtle absorption of harshess too via transformers and gain stages. For this reason I'll monitor through the analog path while adjusting the ITB preprocessing so I'm doing as little as possible.

The Silver Bullet and Michelangelo both have "vintage" switches which can help but are pretty severe and I always need some highs resotred after. I had my Michelangelo modified for this purpose, with a less extreme rolloff in vintage mode.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
This one works a bit different from most:
Sleepy-TimeDSP | LISP
(Don't let the price fool you!)
Old 1 week ago
Weiss, Maselec MLA-3, Izotope Dyn eq and now I’m also trying Fabfilter Pro-Q 3
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Algorithmix SplitComp, Melda Dynamic-EQ, T.C. Dynamic-EQ,
Maselec MPL-2, Maselec MLA-4

Often a combination of that tools sounds naturally and not "de-essed". If possible I do use it only in the MID (M/S)-Signal.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12ax7 View Post
This one works a bit different from most:

How good is it on a complete Mix in the mastering stage?
Or more usable on a single track?
Old 1 week ago
The Weiss De-Ess plugin is really very good.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Verified Member
DS-1, MPL-2, HOFA de-esser and upgraded BSB-74...sometimes couple in series on extremely harsh material.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirochandler View Post
How good is it on a complete Mix in the mastering stage?
Or more usable on a single track?
I've found Lisp to be the best for sub-mixes and/or main mix applications (anywhere near that price-point, that is).
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Waves has released a new plugin called Sibilance. I've been trying it out and so far I like it. Simple interface and non-destructive tonewise. The manual recommends it for use on single tracks rather than a whole mix. It works well for me on vocals.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Limiter No6 GE
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins View Post
This thing is pretty cool.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Recently recommended voxengo to make a mastering deesser based on polysquasher, I hope he takes the advice.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Personally, I can’t find a tool, or a set of tools that can get me into the zone of high frequency comfort. I had high hopes for the soothe plugin, when it was released, and used it a bit, but I found that lots of materials sound much better without it. It kind of robs something very important from the sound, even in very light amounts. It creates something that sounds chewy and sloppy.

Often, I search in the 14-15k (and even higher) area for some metallic stuff and remove it with very tight notches (not in dynamic mode). It seems that this area is often reinforcing some problematic frequencies that are normally happening in 2-5k area. Most of the times things that are recorded with some modern microphones have that unnatural, tooth splitting energy somewhere up there. Then, I would try to fill things up in the low mid area. Once it is done, I would address the 2-5k stuff. I always try to avoid treating this area with sharp, tight notches, even though it is tempting to do so.
Old 1 week ago
Hi. I'm also recommending Sibilance from Waves. I really like it
All the best.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

I personally really like the Eiosis e2. I think it's a really good de-esser for mastering purpose. Plus the spectral analyser is sometime useful.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Lots of great suggestions in this thread.

I have long lusted for a Weiss EQ1-Dyn. Curious how it works for these purposes.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Beast View Post
Reason I like the voxengo is because after I insert a deesser and let it do its best, the polysquasher handles the rest very naturally.

I set it up extremely fast with some lookahead, then increase its hi-slope knob slowly which is like boosting the highs from a side-chain.

A normal comp. would start masking very quickly but since the polysquasher is insanely fast, with low compression amounts it sound very natural. By itself won't be enough so something before it to do the heavy lifting is needed but at the compression stage it gives a nice bonus.

Last edited by cooker; 1 week ago at 01:43 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
TDR Nova GE

Check out the recent update's look ahead, makes it even more precise to time the time constants on super high freqs
Old 1 week ago
nkf
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins View Post
Because it was mentioned here I checked out "Acceleration". On a very bright synth seq with inharmonic content it produced very ugly distortions, which regular deessers didn't. I cannot imagine this plug in would be a good recommendation for mastering.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkf View Post
Because it was mentioned here I checked out "Acceleration". On a very bright synth seq with inharmonic content it produced very ugly distortions, which regular deessers didn't. I cannot imagine this plug in would be a good recommendation for mastering.
I noticed this as well, low mid distortion on my end.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Acceleration sounds great... until it doesn't.

I really wish someone would pick up that code and smooth out the rough edges. It's 80% there and could be something really special.

@macc, any luck with having someone update Spitfish?
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothTone View Post

@macc, any luck with having someone update Spitfish?
what what? this is even a possibility?
Old 3 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by scraggs View Post
Sascha does DSP for u-he now, who (Urs Heckmann) was responsible for OSX AU ports of the Digitalfishphones plugins many years ago.

Sachsa previously said he was done with freeware plugins but it would be cool to see him make a new Spitfish successor for u-he (haven't tried their Presswerk as a de-esser honestly, maybe it's great?)

Email them both and ask?
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear
Sascha sold the fishphones code to Magix when he went to work for them years ago. I wrote to them awhile back saying essentially "Do you like making money? Update the spitfish code to include an expanded frequency range of say 1k-16k, add m/s, make it 64 bit, keep everything else the same. Mastering engineers worldwide will line up to pay a premium for it, guaranteed."

No dice.

So unless there has been a daring midnight raid of the Magix offices, and the code liberated from deep within their vaults by a team of highly skilled commandos, I think we are unlikely to see this dream realized.

Or maybe Macc knows something I don't?
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by scraggs View Post
Well, I thought not given what you said above. But when macc dropped this a while back,

DMG Essence or Weiss Deess for Mastering ?

…naturally my ears pricked up.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear
Hey if he knows a guy who knows a guy I'm all for it!

If not, who's up for a midnight commando raid on the Magix offices? We'll assemble a multinational team.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
It's impossible to say anything at this juncture for various reasons, BUT it is very very high on my agenda when certain things happen.

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search