The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
De-ess / HF limiting: favorite choices Dynamics Plugins
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelStAmour View Post
I personally really like the Eiosis e2. I think it's a really good de-esser for mastering purpose. Plus the spectral analyser is sometime useful.
Never gelled with E2, could never get it to sound any good.

Weiss DS-1 has been my go to, but as others have said, don't sleep on the new Sibilance plugin from Waves. A surprisingly good (considering it was free at launch and still dirt cheap) spectral deeseer that's easy to dial in.

Spitfish seems to have legendary status on this board. Does it not work with something such as BlueCat's PatchWork?

Interest piqued, @macc !
Old 2 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Never gelled with E2, could never get it to sound any good.

Weiss DS-1 has been my go to, but as others have said, don't sleep on the new Sibilance plugin from Waves. A surprisingly good (considering it was free at launch and still dirt cheap) spectral deeseer that's easy to dial in.

Spitfish seems to have legendary status on this board. Does it not work with something such as BlueCat's PatchWork?

Interest piqued, @macc !
TBH, it took me time to get it right.
I really wanted to like it but it was a bit a pain in the buthole.
Then, I started to understand how he really works and now, I can't take another De-Esser. I really feel like you have to spend time with it to really get the sound of this de-esser but once you do, there's no turning back
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelStAmour View Post
TBH, it took me time to get it right.
I really wanted to like it but it was a bit a pain in the buthole.
Then, I started to understand how he really works and now, I can't take another De-Esser. I really feel like you have to spend time with it to really get the sound of this de-esser but once you do, there's no turning back
Any tips how to get the best of it?

Have you tried Weiss DS-1?
Old 2 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Any tips how to get the best of it?

Have you tried Weiss DS-1?
Never tried the DS-1 to be honest. Once I got a great tool I'm used to I pretty much stick to it.
I may take a look at the Weiss since a lot of people say good things on it.

For the e2, it's a bit hard to try to explain here, you may have a great surprise looking at tutorial maybe?
Old 2 days ago
Gear Maniac

Maselec mpl-2 and mla-4 is my go to. Awesome!!!!
Old 2 days ago
dbx 903 with that corp VCA chips. Very effective but I've never had a reason to use one here. An Aphex 651 with side chain EQ also works very well.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

tape (or anamod ats-1)
Old 5 hours ago
Lives for gear

another option in the analog domain is the Etec (Ortofon) DBTL20, bass and treble limiter. I will have to check it out... for Christmas
Old 2 hours ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe Zaccaria View Post
another option in the analog domain is the Etec (Ortofon) DBTL20, bass and treble limiter. I will have to check it out... for Christmas
Keep us posted if you do!
Old 2 hours ago
Gear Maniac

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Beast View Post
Often, I search in the 14-15k (and even higher) area for some metallic stuff and remove it with very tight notches (not in dynamic mode). It seems that this area is often reinforcing some problematic frequencies that are normally happening in 2-5k area. Most of the times things that are recorded with some modern microphones have that unnatural, tooth splitting energy somewhere up there. Then, I would try to fill things up in the low mid area. Once it is done, I would address the 2-5k stuff. I always try to avoid treating this area with sharp, tight notches, even though it is tempting to do so.
Could you please go deeper for me ?
I find this comment really interesting!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search