The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Cranesong stc questions
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Cranesong stc questions

1. I have purchased stc 8 M version. When i increase the gain and keep the signal continuously in the red zone of output meter(OL led is still not lit) ,still there is no audible distortion. Is it safe to do it. Is there any benefit or negative to do this in practice?
( I am using x desk insert point and with cranesong's gain only at 2 output of cranesong is going into red)

2. In VAR Mode in Upper Right quadrant when i compress just 1 db and compares to my previous mastering chain, it seems that the cranesong is shaving off a couple of db's. Is it true?

3. Will i benefit from using sidechain?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Hi,
1. The STC-8's output meters are a VU scale, not dBFS. It seems as if you might have a relatively high input level in this case, however output level into the red is often fine if not overloading anything next in the chain (ie: your mixer's insert return).

2. Metering 1dB of gain reduction doesn't mean exactly 1dB. Sometimes I hear gain reduction before seeing it on the meter (as is often the case also with needle type GR meters). I think the attack mod mode can affect this, too. You may, or may not, even need make-up gain, depending on the input level and signal chain.

3. Filtering its side chain is as per any other compressor, eg: less sensitivity of low end, or more sensitivity for sibilance control, depending on the EQ or filter used. You might find that you don't need it.
Ki and HARA modes also sound very different to each other. (in HARA mode the HF response increases with gain reduction, but can be disabled via an internal jumper switch).
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Dempsey View Post
Hi,
1. The STC-8's output meters are a VU scale, not dBFS. It seems as if you might have a relatively high input level in this case, however output level into the red is often fine if not overloading anything next in the chain (ie: your mixer's insert return).

2. Metering 1dB of gain reduction doesn't mean exactly 1dB. Sometimes I hear gain reduction before seeing it on the meter (as is often the case also with needle type GR meters). I think the attack mod mode can affect this, too. You may, or may not, even need make-up gain, depending on the input level and signal chain.

3. Filtering its side chain is as per any other compressor, eg: less sensitivity of low end, or more sensitivity for sibilance control, depending on the EQ or filter used. You might find that you don't need it.
Ki and HARA modes also sound very different to each other. (in HARA mode the HF response increases with gain reduction, but can be disabled via an internal jumper switch).
Thanks a lot. Great help for me. Regarding sidechain, yes i think i might not need it as I am finding no problem in low end of the mix without it. Again thanks.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I can strongly recomend the side chain option...also the STC 8 is best driven lower on the input...as far as I remeber there´s the option to have a pad for reduction of input.
I have mine first in the chain so I can reduce the input before I hit the stc 8 and compensate later with the gain which has a wonderful sound btw!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermat View Post
I can strongly recomend the side chain option...also the STC 8 is best driven lower on the input...as far as I remeber there´s the option to have a pad for reduction of input.
I have mine first in the chain so I can reduce the input before I hit the stc 8 and compensate later with the gain which has a wonderful sound btw!
Thanks. I will feed the cranesong with lower input. Please suggest me how to go sidechain route. With hardware eq or routing through Daw?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit monga View Post
Thanks. I will feed the cranesong with lower input. Please suggest me how to go sidechain route. With hardware eq or routing through Daw?
there´s a thread here I think that deals with exact this matter, you will surely find it with the search option.

for sidechaining I would recommend analog, but in the past I used another labtop with just a regular digital EQ running through an old low latency hammerfall rme box which ran at lowest possible latency.

hardware EQ still feels a little more direct but I remember enjoying the possibilities to shape the side chain EQ digitally back then. either way, sidechain is sometimes (infact most of the time here) the way to go with this beast
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search