The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sadie 3 restoration project DAW Software
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Sadie 3 restoration project

Hello,

My name is Joe and I'm a mastering engineer.

I started 10 years ago right at the start of the native boom in mastering/music software and am now working mostly ITB despite having owned various hardware analogue and digital units over the years.

I used to share a space with Dallas Simpson, an experience, and now retired, mastering engineer going back to the early 90s and we taught each other all sorts of great information and techniques, although the amount I got from him is undeniably gold compared to my small input.

For years he ran a SADIE 5 native system alongside my Windows 7 machine running various mastering software and we shared a listening position but had completely independent chains.

We had at times borrowed each others set ups for specific projects and worked together where there was a need.

But I never got my head around SADIE, I know what it can do, but I've used Steinberg since my early teens and had no reason to really look into SADIE (as I used Hofa from early on for production masters and DDPs)

Now that all changes because...

I spent 20 quid on a "SADIE DISK EDITOR AND TOWER" (it was actually 1 quid but buy it now 20 quid and the seller kindly had it brought up to Nottingham with her sister).

The story behind this is it was used in an inflight entertainment studio in the mid to late 90s and possibly beyond, to edit dialogue and sounds for airplanes! They would work on one system, make sure it's all on the SCSI drive, take that out and load into this PC where the edits were done. A constantly moving cycle of SCSI (terrifying).

So, I got it, cleaned the case and as much of the contacts as possible.

Powered up, bad sounds... took it to my old buddy Lee Smith (I used to sell his music PCs via a company we both worked for) and here's what happened...

How it came.. with 30 quids worth of Neutrik cables!

Front

Sadie hardware access

Motherboard outside

Chasing the dead power.. replacing PSU

Removed and cleaned all the cards (and worked out what some of them were..)

Side on view of the rather large case (needs to be huge to fit the Sadie hardware!)

Dead SCSI with the original owners SADIE audio on

but...

SADIE Loads!

we have a late revision of SADIE 3 here and two version of SADIE 2 in the Windows 98 (my all time fave) menu.

Next step : back up the hard drive with the OS and data on and make an image of the OS.

Find a functioning 50 pin SCSI (feel free to donate!) and test SADIE with audio.

Then the SADIE disk editor break out box to see if it passes digital and analogue audio

Then the final icing on the cake: get the Exabyte drive working and load back one of the many Exabyte DDP masters I have in storage to take of to make this a usable transfer machine... but let's see how the SCSI goes first..
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

you really are an old man!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe Zaccaria View Post
you really are an old man!
I'm 31
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

was kind of a joke man
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
All the best with that, Joe.
Having gone from early Sonic Solutions to SADiE 2496 to SADiE 5 with Cedar software (other plugins are DirectX only), it's a great editor. Later versions were one of the first to have correct d*ther options to various simultaneous outputs (early versions did have a bug, in that it wasn't decorrelated for each channel).
One of the first things we found necessary with any such PC was flip the fans to blow out the heat, rather than draw in dust.
Never used its converters (AES I/O breakout box) and yep DDPs to 8mm Exabyte tape were the norm.

Last edited by Adam Dempsey; 2 weeks ago at 09:43 AM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe Zaccaria View Post
was kind of a joke man
I know, the British sense of humour sometimes doesn't translate to forums
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Dempsey View Post
All the best with that, Joe.
Having gone from early Sonic Solutions to SADiE 2496 to SADiE 5 with Cedar software (other plugins are DirectX only), it's a great editor. Later versions were one of the first to have correct d*ther options to various simultaneous outputs (early versions did have a bug, in that it wasn't decorrelated for each channel).
One of the first things we found necessary with any such PC was flip the fans to blow out the heat, rather than draw in dust.
Never used its converters (AES I/O breakout box) and yep DDPs to 8mm Exabyte tape were the norm.
I'm hoping to find a manual as the various icons and terminology have been lost in the sands of time. I didn't check to see if it has any additional plugins, we shall see!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I used to maintain a suite of about 7-10 SADiE 3 to 5 systems when I worked for a big production company.

How come you are using a SADiE 3 in 2018 ? For fun ?

Or is it the warm fuzzy feeling you get using the best crossfade editor that has existed in DAW history ?
Playlist editing is s** hot as well.

I cannot think of anything that SADiE 3 would be truly useful for at the moment.

PS you are lucky you have the Kingston drive bays the ones before used to "graunch" up the keys (seemingly made of cheese)
and leave the SCSI stuck in there.

Nice trip down memory lane.

If you have any questions icons etc. and need urgent help without the manual I will help you out as far
as memory can recall, it's been a while (Still have a V5 here). Most won't have changed so lots of people familar with it will be down with the icons.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Thanks, the project seems to be bringing back some memories.. And some nightmares..the project is mostly for fun, but has two other functions : firstly I'd like to attempt to get DDP readback from Exabyte as an archive I look after has many as primary or secondary back up, secondly to create a video documentary on the restoration with my old pal Lee Smith who I used to work with selling computers he built for Music Pc.com
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Update:

The SCSI drive for Sadie was dead. That has been replaced with NOS.

The boot drive has been replaced with a compact flash card which will be backed up and the original drive will be put in storage.

Next up we will be testing the SADIE interaction with the new SCSI, wish me luck
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Yes dying drives were a never ending concern, though SCSI was pretty robust overall as long as the drives were not battered by the owners (which I suspect many hit the deck and then it was... "My SCSI has stopped working").. a few tears were shed by the owners over the years had they not bothered to get me to or another engineer to back up. I cannot quite recall precisely what we did it was over 10 years ago but I think most were quite small. 8GB was considered large. Most 2-4GB and I think we back them up periodically using some kind of plastic enclosed DVD disks and an external SCSI "burner".

You can always try "reseating" the SCSI connectors, cards and back of the bays and pulling the terminator off and putting it back on and in the caddy's as well, lots of wires and connections to get worked loose. Just in case the connections/ribbon cables are a bit shonky.. and double check the power connectors to the back of the bays. It may not necesssarily be the drive but you will probably have trouble shooted that by now.

Also if your Plextor is SCSI check the ribbons that go through the "chain" of devices, one problem along the way can mess with the whole chain.

There is an option somewhere in the file menu to do a DOS to SCSI and vice versa transfer.. where you can "bounce" raw unedited .wav .aiff files to the internal IDE drives I think the other was PC audio import, but this was really slow as the busses between internal IDE and SCSI seemed to be controlled by some kind of super low bandwidth bus through the pci card bus as well.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by SASMastering View Post
I cannot quite recall precisely what we did it was over 10 years ago but I think most were quite small. 8GB was considered large. Most 2-4GB and I think we back them up periodically using some kind of plastic enclosed DVD disks and an external SCSI "burner".
The first dedicated "sound drive" we had was 4GB SCSI and A$1,000.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

That sounds about right £500.00 a pop from SADiE. In the end I ordered the Kingston caddies and SCSI's and put them together myself for about £330.00 And that made a difference to the company as there was about 40-50 in circulation at one point. It kept me busy that's for sure. We had a very good relationship with SADiE and in the end went SADiE 5 when that first came about replacing all the V4 systems RADiA's and 2496's etc.

The beauty for the company with SADiE was BBC project compatibility, superb speech editing and radio program editing/mixing. And we also used them for multitrack and direct to stereo recording ina purpose built studio of untold well known and unknown bands for BBC and commerical radio. I was dropped in the deep end and swam, it was a fantastic opportunity. It is where I started mastering first, my first mastering job was to record 8 buskers in a day with a well known record producer sat beside me and master them the same night for viny release. Mastering baptism of fire ! About 15 years ago now.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Glad to see I'm not the only one who buys "old junk" because it's cheap, and then becomes semi-obsessed with restoring it...! Nice work so far.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
https://manualzz.com/doc/41182764/sadie-information

Found some useful information in comparing SADIE pre native to the current systems
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search